Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Something I'd mentioned before on here, which GA seems to back up. We're unlikely to go for a "like for like" replacement for Watt. Whether that's just him trying to dampen down the Rudden speculation straight away or whether it just simply solves the Watt/KvV through the middle conundrum, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we brought in a wide, play across the front three, type of player to replace him. 

I genuinely don't have any issues with the player. I wanted him to stay, but if he's been offered better elsewhere, then shake hands and thank him for his service. He was an excellent signing for Motherwell, but we've lost and replaced better. Onwards! 

Very Belichickian from Alexander there with just putting everything down to the ‘best interests of the team’.

Sounds like he maybe didn’t and or doesn’t really get on well with Watt based on the whole chat about summer and he’s pretty content to ship him out. Openly saying we don’t need to replace our top goal scorer is bold.

I don’t care what anyone says, this is a big loss and his destination in terms of a direct rival only makes it sting further. 

I’m intrigued to see what the fee is and whether there are any add ones. 

Bracing myself for a “heads gone” if it isn’t what I consider to be appropriate compensation!

1 minute ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Bracing myself for a “heads gone” if it isn’t what I consider to be appropriate compensation!

What would you consider to be appropriate compensation? 

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

What would you consider to be appropriate compensation? 

I outlined it previously in the thread but ideally £200k + the difference of making the top 6 or not (non refundable even if we make it) + a wee bit more for Utd being dicks and conducting their business via the press and he doesn’t get to play against us in any competition this season.

I appreciate will won’t get all of that but it should be along those lines. 

What would you consider appropriate?

3 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

he doesn’t get to play against us in any competition this season.

This can only be done via loans it cannot be done for transfers. If that was the case every team would have this in a clause and no one would be able to play football

6 minutes ago, Desp said:

I look forward to your "heads gone" 

Incoming! 😂 

4 minutes ago, Well Well said:

This can only be done via loans it cannot be done for transfers. If that was the case every team would have this in a clause and no one would be able to play football

Yeah, I get that. I was g bring entirely serious with it all, but £100k just isn’t going to cut it in terms of it being in the “best interests of the club” 

Edited by Allroy for Prez

Difficult to say what is in best interests of the club definitively without being party to Alexander and Watt's conversatiion I'd imagine. Being stuck with a wantaway player for half a season may be just as detrimental to us as United signing the league's top scorer for half a season is a bonus to them. Taking £100k and keeping team morale as it is may be the best move.

Whatever the outcome, I'll be pretty comfortable that it actually is the best deal the club could've got. We've carried out our business pretty well under Burrows, no reason to think he's made a hash of this.

47 minutes ago, Desp said:

I genuinely don't have any issues with the player. I wanted him to stay, but if he's been offered better elsewhere, then shake hands and thank him for his service. He was an excellent signing for Motherwell, but we've lost and replaced better. Onwards! 

This is it. We got good value from Watt and he was one of the only things that made Verizon lady worth putting up with last season and he's been great this year too. Genuinely interested to see if he carries it on at another club after the inevitable honeymoon period  and goal against us is out the way.

The only thing that differentiates this from us losing other "good" players as we constantly do is that we've sold to a genuine rival club, which is regrettable but there isn't much we can do about it. The fact that - at a time where we are handing out long term deals and evidently have a decent budget by our standards - we weren't interested/able to match Utd's offer probably tells its own story (and makes me think it was the right decision).

Lastly - it feels like we've got a pretty harmonious dressing room this year and having Watt moping around until the summer probably wouldn't have been helpful.

Shame it has come to this but he was never likely to be staying and at least we get a fee for him. I certainly hope it is nearer to £200k+ than £100k. 

Whatever anyone says it makes us weaker and I am interested to hear GA say we are not looking for a replacement. Very bold. We did not miss him v Livi but what if Van Veen gets injured. Hopefully we get to see more of Shields. Or maybe we see Tierney as a competent replacement. 

Be interesting to see the line up for tomorrow night. I have a feeling Shaw may start in midfield. If OJala and Sol are fit who makes way. Does Mugabi deserve to be benched. Not imho. I would start him at right back ahead of SODs. 

I absolutely understand the reality here, and the various pros and cons outlined above, and that we may actually have made the very best of a not so bad lot.

Nonetheless, I feel obliged to state for the record that I am incredibly pissed off by the whole affair, and I will be one of the first to pile in with the abuse should Dundee Utd continue their slide down the table; or should they start moving up the table; or, indeed, should they stay exactly where they are. In summary, whatever the outcome, abuse looks to be pretty much guaranteed.

Looking forward to the twitter meltdown later when we announce the usual ‘undisclosed fee’. Always entertaining when a guy demands to be personally informed of our transfer business because he chucks £5 to the WS every month.