Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Surprised to see some of the comments about Rudden on here.

I saw most of the game on Friday as well as seeing him on a few other occasions and he’s always looked to have plenty of promise. He’s a nuisance, got good movement and even with little service the other night he still got himself into a couple of excellent scoring positions. 

He’s 21, if we’re offering him a 3 year deal it’s presumably because of the player Alexander thinks he can mould him into rather than the player he currently is. With the attributes he has you certainly see why Alexander likes him. 

I’d be happy enough to see us take a punt on him, think it could turn out to be a shrewd investment. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Surprised to see some of the comments about Rudden on here.

I saw most of the game on Friday as well as seeing him on a few other occasions and he’s always looked to have plenty of promise. He’s a nuisance, got good movement and even with little service the other night he still got himself into a couple of excellent scoring positions. 

He’s 21, if we’re offering him a 3 year deal it’s presumably because of the player Alexander thinks he can mould him into rather than the player he currently is. With the attributes he has you certainly see why Alexander likes him. 

I’d be happy enough to see us take a punt on him, think it could turn out to be a shrewd investment. 

Aye, I mean I get it in so much as he's not a particularly cultured looking player. He's all arms and legs with a heavy Bambi on Ice aesthetic so if folk are looking at him and expecting an identikit Tony Watt replacement they'll be disappointed because that's not the player that Rudden is.

To me, he's a poacher and a pest. He's someone who'll run in behind rather than link up play and hold the ball up.

He's only just about to turn 22, 6ft 2 and "scores fucking goals". Ironically he's precisely the type of profile of player that folk on Motherwell forums have been banging on about us having not taken a punt on in the past.

Would I be advocating us chucking money at Thistle to get him just now or would I be touting him as some Tony Watt replacement? Absolutely not.

Would I be happy enough at getting him on a PCA for a nominal fee as a project in the same way we did Conor Shields? Sure.

58 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
10 hours ago, Desp said:
Tony Watt being in the squad for the game in Dingwall looks, ermm, unlikely.

Why? Is there stuff on social media?

A couple of stories, the Daily Record last night, Football Scotland this morning (which is just just a rehash of the DR story)

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/tony-watt-set-six-figure-22772747

Not sure if that constitutes evidence per se, but it's not unexpected, so quite possibly true?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

10 hours ago, ropy said:

I assume they have met our valuation, whatever that might have been, I would have liked to see it strung out a bit longer for the drama.

I mean, given the way Burrows has carried himself in terms of transfers I'm fairly comfortable that if/when Watt goes this month it'll be a deal we'll be happy enough with but as @Swello says given it seems to have been a direct flow of info from United to Burns it's interesting that he's still reporting it as a vague "six figure fee" we're looking for rather than anything more specific.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, given the way Burrows has carried himself in terms of transfers I'm fairly comfortable that if/when Watt goes this month it'll be a deal we'll be happy enough with but as @Swello says given it seems to have been a direct flow of info from United to Burns it's interesting that he's still reporting it as a vague "six figure fee" we're looking for rather than anything more specific.

The benefit of selling rather than him leaving at the end of his contract is that we can negotiate ‘add ons’. If Watt continues his upward curve and some English club want to offer him a swan song after another good year, we could get a cut.

Oh...

I take it that's coming from the pre-match press conference.

Have to echo @thisGRAEME from his Patreon last week...it feels mental for United to be chucking money at us for Watt.

"Dundee United are poised to announce the signing of Tony Watt after the Tannadice club met Motherwell's demands for the striker.

'Well boss Graham Alexander is not looking for a direct replacement for Watt as there is enough depth in his squad to cope with the loss."

Link

Edited by capt_oats