Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Ah, that may well be it. Hospitality packages for the 2017 cup semi the likely culprit.

A weekend which also saw us take in a Jerry Sadowitz show in Glasgow and get in a fight on the train on the way home afterwards. Happy fucking days!

How was the Sadowitz thing? I had thought about going to that.

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

How was the Sadowitz thing? I had thought about going to that.

He's an acquired taste, obviously, but I thought he was brilliant. Certainly an experience, albeit one that makes Frankie Boyle look like Terry and June.

Only 5 or 6 people walked out after the first few minutes which was apparently less than usual, especially considering his opening monologue that night was all about Grenfell Tower.

On 13/01/2022 at 14:12, ropy said:

I still think there is value in keeping Tony, many players have successfully completed a contract after agreeing to move on.  Does Tony have the mentality to do that?  Ross County away on a midweek night may be the very opportunity for GA to test his commitment.

At the very least I would string United along, cup tie Watt (as I have said before) and wait till the 31st, this may force United to pay over the odds (in their view) or have a gap in their squad if they don’t get their man.

Selling him in the next week seems very soft to me.

Still mulling Tony’s position over.  If we get a Scottish Cup run going surely that would keep him motivated and wanting to perform well enough to be in the team.  If we were to meet United in the semi (or final?) surely his personal ambition for a cup win would outweigh any perceived loyalty to his future employers.

2 hours ago, Marinello said:

Predictive text gets me again.

Roberts , Roberts, Roberts.

Got it at last!!

GA and Keef sneaking about at the back of the stand at Firhill this evening as well……

Edit - Well, hardly sneaking about, they were on the telly and that. 

Edited by Swami

He's an acquired taste, obviously, but I thought he was brilliant. Certainly an experience, albeit one that makes Frankie Boyle look like Terry and June.
Only 5 or 6 people walked out after the first few minutes which was apparently less than usual, especially considering his opening monologue that night was all about Grenfell Tower.
I saw him at Strathclyde Union many years ago, maybe nearly 30 so he must be a decent age now. I think there were only a few walk-outs, he definitely sets out to shock from the start. I certainly doubt any student unions would be prepared to book him these days. [emoji1]

I know it is only 40 minutes gone and the pitch is like the old Fir Park tattie field. But so far Rudden looks like a poor mans Connor Shields.  I don’t mean that as disparaging towards Shields as I think he has a good future at Motherwell. Rudden looks almost Jordan Whiteesque.

Watch him score a Hat Trick now 😏

Edit to add - he did not score a hat trick. He has been replaced by Ross McIver. One game I know but I would not be busting a gut to get him on the basis of this performance. GA and Las there so maybe a rethink required 🤷‍♂️

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

I know it is only 40 minutes gone and the pitch is like the old Fir Park tattie field. But so far Rudden looks like a poor mans Connor Shields.  I don’t mean that as disparaging towards Shields as I think he has a good future at Motherwell. Rudden looks almost Jordan Whiteesque.

Watch him score a Hat Trick now 😏

Edit to add - he did not score a hat trick. He has been replaced by Ross McIver. One game I know but I would not be busting a gut to get him on the basis of this performance. GA and Las there so maybe a rethink required 🤷‍♂️

Have to say I’m in agreement with my Thistle work colleague at this point, not sure he’s Premiership standard. He is however young which is in his favour but he’s got a lot of developing to do before he’s going to make an impact against Premiership defences.

3 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I've seen Sadowitz and I thought he was great (about 2008)

17 hours ago, Yorky said:

Have to say I’m in agreement with my Thistle work colleague at this point, not sure he’s Premiership standard. He is however young which is in his favour but he’s got a lot of developing to do before he’s going to make an impact against Premiership defences.

It would be a “no” from me. Haven’t been even remotely impressed anytime I’ve seen him.

12 hours ago, Rod said:

Distinct lack of weirdness coming in this January, so far at least.

Worrying times.

Faddy is always on point:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46872213

"Motherwell bringing back Ross McCormack is the signing of the January transfer window so far in Scotland, according to former Fir Park striker James McFadden.

The 32-year-old, capped 13 times for Scotland, has returned to his former club on loan from Aston Villa.

"Ross McCormack to Motherwell for me is a standout in terms of he still has a lot to offer," McFadden told BBC Scotland's Sportsound.

"He's got a point to prove and I think he can come in and do very well."

And who could forget Bara's first winter window:

image.png.c3c376879a65efe5cdb7deab658ab14f.png

TBF one netted us 6 figures

31 minutes ago, The_Craig said:

Some buzz when we announced McCormack's signing though. And I was looking forward to seeing number 44 back. Shite when 44 was for his belt size though.

Something went badly wrong there, you could see from the off he was not physically up to playing at this level. I take it he spent time trying with the squad and had a full medical and as such I’m still baffled why we signed him up.

3 hours ago, Yorky said:

Something went badly wrong there, you could see from the off he was not physically up to playing at this level. I take it he spent time trying with the squad and had a full medical and as such I’m still baffled why we signed him up.

It's fair comment that it didn't work out - it clearly didn't but I'm not sure why anyone would be baffled by us signing him.

We were coming off a brutal first half of the season, we were offered a player who if fit and motivated would have been several levels above either what we had or what we'd expect for our level (he'd scored 14 in 17 the season prior in the A-League).

On top of that we would (I assume) have been paying a fraction of his wage on account of Villa not wanting him anywhere near the club. Had it worked out then it's a pretty high upside for us for what I'd imagine was a fairly minimal outlay.

He hadn't kicked a ball in over a month when we signed him so the gamble/risk was him being motivated enough to put the graft in and get fit. It's the same risk Dundee have taken/are taking with Griffiths.

In the end Robinson gave him 4 appearances and a u20s game before he disappeared, a "calf injury" IIRC and that was that.

If there was a do-over I'd imagine we'd still take him over not.

There weren't many of us who weren't excited by the signing. I can only assume the club put him through a medical, decided he was unfit but not injured and decided to go ahead on the basis they could get him fit. You'd have to assume he showed a willingness to get fit at the time but didn't follow up on it.

Even looking back after a few years, I don't think you can blame for taking him on and the fans being excited. Nobody knew McCormick had pretty much retired already.