Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Having been at the Airdrie and Dundee games, the LC stuff was grim, of course it was - but *if* the trade off was accepting one shiter of a league cup "campaign" so that we get the right players in on long term deals which then allows us to hit the ground running in future and stem the ridiculous turnover of players that has plagued us every year for the past decade, then it was probably (massively) worth it IMO. We only need to look at this time last year to see what a panic-stricken transfer window looks like and this past summer was the polar opposite of that.

Similarly, a lot was made of the (lack of) style of play in the early part of the season but I think a lot of that was over the top. The truth is that we got through the spell where lots of new players were adjusting to a new team/league/country without any serious damage and well clear of the bottom of the league and when the league is as tough as it's been for years - that was the priority. We're now in a position where the much needed overhaul is done as much as it ever can be at a club of our resources and we're beginning to look like a decent team to watch too.

I'm delighted that Grezza has signed a long term deal. The thing that has tended to scunner and ultimately end the Motherwell careers of previous managers that have done well and seemed secure (McCall, Robinson) is the Sisyphean task of starting again almost from scratch every year. They basically ran out of ideas of how to constantly rebuild the team and although I think all managers have a natural shelf-life at clubs like ours (Tommy McClean was the last one to defy the rule but in the pre-bosman era), GA has a more stable base to build on than almost anyone in the last 15-20 years.

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

No massive surprise here given Roberts' whole 'already played for two clubs' situation.

Much like you, i'm not overly surprised. He obviously has no future at hearts, I suppose for us it's a case of knowing what we have rather than someone coming in fresh. I don't think I would be throwing any of those three year deals at him right enough, 6 months with a view to seeing how much of an impact he can have, because it has been minimal so far, albeit with limited game time.

5 hours ago, Neil86 said:

Much like you, i'm not overly surprised. He obviously has no future at hearts, I suppose for us it's a case of knowing what we have rather than someone coming in fresh. I don't think I would be throwing any of those three year deals at him right enough, 6 months with a view to seeing how much of an impact he can have, because it has been minimal so far, albeit with limited game time.

Aye, I'd be surprised if we're even thinking long term - it's a case of him having somewhere to go until his Hearts deal expires and he probably suits our needs more than them.

It's clear he has no future at Hearts whereas, at worst, he gives us good cover for either Woolery or Watt and has enough about him to start if needed. Assuming we're only chipping in for his Hearts wage then he's probably a better value player than we'd otherwise get for that money (I say that having no idea how much we're contributing).

I'd imagine he'll be looking at heading back south when his deal at Hearts is up in the summer tbh and from our POV it gives us 6 months to line up a permanent option in the summer.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It's pretty standard chairman spiel, especially after a manager's contract extension but I thought this point from McMahon rings true:

I've mentioned it a couple of times but when you look at the number of staff additions that have been made since Alexander got the job (most of them having had a previous connection) it's fair to say that he's been backed and it seems like there's a mutual buy in at the club between board and manager.

Also, I guess if we're making a pitch to players to sign up on longer term contracts it's probably an easier sell if they see that the manager has a similar commitment.

I know Alexander's not been for everyone but if you take his first year as a complete body of work rather than focusing on individual games or results then it's difficult to argue with the job he's done and the rebuild he's overseen.

Not looking to be negative but the greater the number of GA’s men in staff positions, the bigger the hole that will be created when he inevitably leaves (in 3 years).  Maybe different if his successor comes from within, maybe that will be part of the long term planning. Lasley is still working through his coaching and management qualifications but is he likely to be heir apparent? Depends who he puts in goals against Accies I suppose.

Lets worry about that when the time comes Ropy…😉.

On another note as has been reported United getting up to £1m up front from AV for the young boy Kerr. 

Will they now meet our asking price to release Watt this window ? Has it even been debated what would be an acceptable figure. I think realistically you would be hoping for nothing less than £250k given he is top goalscorer but is that too high or too low. 

Maybe we then go back to Thistle with a few Bob more for Zak Rudden. Interesting times. 

Edited by welldaft

4 hours ago, Swello said:

The jungle drums are saying that we're being allowed back into games next week and I've rarely been so excited at the thought of being in Dingwall on a tuesday night in January.

Booked my hotel, a 7 minute walk from the door to the stadium, the mallard just happens to be in between the two. Looking forward to it.

29 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Booked my hotel, a 7 minute walk from the door to the stadium, the mallard just happens to be in between the two. Looking forward to it.

That was my plan but have been thwarted by family stuff, I have bought a ticket for the Morton game as consolation, apparently it will be added to my season ticket.

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

That was my plan but have been thwarted by family stuff, I have bought a ticket for the Morton game as consolation, apparently it will be added to my season ticket.

Always has to take priority mate. A very nice consolation tbf, how do you mean added to the season ticket? is that to counteract being unsuccessful in the ballot for the livi game?

1 minute ago, Neil86 said:

Always has to take priority mate. A very nice consolation tbf, how do you mean added to the season ticket? is that to counteract being unsuccessful in the ballot for the livi game?

It just means you use the season ticket to enter the game instead if printing it off.

Don't think they could o that with the restricted games since they would have to allocate a new seat.

1 minute ago, Neil86 said:

Just means I get my season ticket scanned for entry rather than picking up a paper ticket somewhere.  At the start of the season for League Cup games I got a QR code sent in an email, so the technology has changed.  I’ve had no issues with the card for league games so hopefully there will be no issues with the cup game.

5 hours ago, Swello said:

Having been at the Airdrie and Dundee games, the LC stuff was grim, of course it was - but *if* the trade off was accepting one shiter of a league cup "campaign" so that we get the right players in on long term deals which then allows us to hit the ground running in future and stem the ridiculous turnover of players that has plagued us every year for the past decade, then it was probably (massively) worth it IMO. We only need to look at this time last year to see what a panic-stricken transfer window looks like and this past summer was the polar opposite of that.

Similarly, a lot was made of the (lack of) style of play in the early part of the season but I think a lot of that was over the top. The truth is that we got through the spell where lots of new players were adjusting to a new team/league/country without any serious damage and well clear of the bottom of the league and when the league is as tough as it's been for years - that was the priority. We're now in a position where the much needed overhaul is done as much as it ever can be at a club of our resources and we're beginning to look like a decent team to watch too.

Regardless of bedding in new players and tinkering, a premier league club up against weaker opposition should have breezed the league cup campaign. We shouldn't have to trade performances or progression in one of the winnable/lucrative pieces of silverwear for a team on song in the future. Dundee away was by no means a certainty, our performances there twice this season have been chronic.

There was a major shift in tactics that you can't put down to players gelling better as the season progressed. From inviting unlimited attacks down the flanks and ceeding +60% possession because seemingly the numbers suggested defending these was preferable to the alternative. 

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

It just means you use the season ticket to enter the game instead if printing it off.

Don't think they could o that with the restricted games since they would have to allocate a new seat.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Just means I get my season ticket scanned for entry rather than picking up a paper ticket somewhere.  At the start of the season for League Cup games I got a QR code sent in an email, so the technology has changed.  I’ve had no issues with the card for league games so hopefully there will be no issues with the cup game.

That makes total sense, apologies, I totally mis understood what you meant. I didn't have my season ticket the league Cup games so didn't realise that's how it worked.