Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm not really sure how to feel about this.

On one hand, he is our top goal score and constantly puts in a shift.

On the other why would we play him for the next 6 months if it only means he's going to take that performance for a rival team.

Also will he even be bothered any more to continue his performances? He has a 3 year deal already guaranteed so why would he risk that by getting injured? You see that all the time with players who sign pre contracts with 6 month left.

In the end I'm glad we aren't wasting the money that Tony has obviously agreed with United. Maybe Van Veen might take the scoring role of Tony going forward.

Edited by Phillips455

Surprised to see it's Dundee United. 

Watt has played really well for us but he's far from irreplaceable and I definitely wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him.

He's entitled to go with the money, but I genuinely thought it was going to be 10/20k a week crazy money down south. Surely United are nowhere near that.

May as well use the next 6 months with VV in central role and focus on how the formation is going to look going forward. 

1 minute ago, fat_tony said:
28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
We were paying Shankland £20k a week.  £30k for Watt at least.

F**k off, you're having a laugh right? Surely nobody in Scotland outside the bigots can afford wages like that?

Fat Tony should know!

19 minutes ago, fat_tony said:
46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

F**k off, you're having a laugh right? Surely nobody in Scotland outside the bigots can afford wages like that?

You don't think Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen pay players around that much? 

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Weren’t United paying Shankland something ludicrous like 5k pw? If so, I dread to think what they’re paying Watt.

Absolutely were not paying Shankland 5k a week, I don't know the precise details but he wasn't even the highest paid player at the club when he was with us. 

It was fairly "common" knowledge he got lumped a lot at the start when he left Ayr as a signing on fee. 

Two of his best pals were at the club when he signed too which was a big factor for him coming. 

I dunno what Watt has been offered but it won't be 5k that's for sure. 

Watt's been brilliant for us - personally, I can't grudge him a move if Utd are breaking the bank - but I'm not sure the precontract in the same division has ever worked out well for the player's current club and with potentially 2 games against Utd to come, it will be messy. 

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Normally when a player signs a pre contract in January with a club in the same league, there’s a deal done before 31st January to move him then. However, I wouldn’t imagine United have the cash to do that. Might be wrong though.

We could take the Fuchs guy in exchange, likes a yellow card, will fit right in 

Finally finds a club that gives him a platform to fulfill the potential he has always undoubtedly had, and Watt is off at the first opportunity.

Can never blame a player for looking for the the best deal, but he's finally playing well regularly, scoring goals, and folk are touting him for the Scotland squad.

Not convinced he's the type you'd want in your dressing room, but what the f**k do I know?  Fuckall, that's what. 

1 minute ago, paranoid android said:

Finally finds a club that gives him a platform to fulfill the potential he has always undoubtedly had, and Watt is off at the first opportunity.

twatt.thumb.png.43a68f285df1fee3a1227aab4d7790c1.png

Block after the final vertical line is his Motherwell career. Quite comfortably the longest, and best, period of his career so far. Suppose he'll hope that staying in the league means he can continue that form, with presumably a much higher wage. 

You don't think Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen pay players around that much? 
I mean, I don't know at all, but that seems like a ridiculously high figure for any of the non-OF teams to be paying.

£20k p/w would be over £1m per year assuming players are paid 52 weeks (I have no idea if that's how it works).

If they do pay that much, surely it would be the exception rather than a standard.

Early 2000's fair enough, but these days?

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

twatt.thumb.png.43a68f285df1fee3a1227aab4d7790c1.png

Block after the final vertical line is his Motherwell career. Quite comfortably the longest, and best, period of his career so far. Suppose he'll hope that staying in the league means he can continue that form, with presumably a much higher wage. 

WTF is going on in this chart? Goals v XG means what exactly?

Utd better hope we don't bench him and hand him on in the summer in the state that Big Dec was handed to Aberdeen after a few months of skelf/arse action :)

We are in the weird position of already having our alternative forward line in place as the club thought Watt was offski in the summer anyway - so KVV, Woolery and Shields are there if we wanted to prioritise that. I'm not suggesting we do that initially BTW - but as the season goes on, the temptation to favour players on long term contracts is going to be there.