Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It's mad what a wee spell of good form does for a player. We had him on trial in the Championship and knocked him back with most fans leaning to not wanting him. Less than 18 month later he'd be seen as a major coup for pretty much most clubs outside the obvious 2 in Scotland and likely to earn a decent wedge down South.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's mad what a wee spell of good form does for a player. We had him on trial in the Championship and knocked him back with most fans leaning to not wanting him. Less than 18 month later he'd be seen as a major coup for pretty much most clubs outside the obvious 2 in Scotland and likely to earn a decent wedge down South.

Genuine question, did you actually have him on trial or was that not some fantasist on TDB Forum who had him as 100% signing or was he on trial with Dundee before that (that thread is a great re-read btw).

The timeline seemed to go that he sacked off CSKA in January 20 and the first report of him being "on trial" with us was 5th February 20 and he signed on the 7th.

He did a podcast with Danny Denholm last year and briefly talked about signing - he never mentioned having been on trial with any other clubs (which isn't to say he wasn't).

The implication was that we had him in for a look around and there was a deal on the table for him the next day.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Genuine question, did you actually have him on trial or was that not some fantasist on TDB Forum who had him as 100% signing or was he on trial with Dundee before that (that thread is a great re-read btw).

The timeline seemed to go that he sacked off CSKA in January 20 and the first report of him being "on trial" with us was 5th February 20 and he signed on the 7th.

He did a podcast with Danny Denholm last year and briefly talked about signing - he never mentioned having been on trial with any other clubs (which isn't to say he wasn't).

The implication was that we had him in for a look around and there was a deal on the table for him the next day.

He was definitely training with us when Jimmy Boyle was running the Youth team and McPake was his assistant. Dunno if McCann ever had any interest in him or not though. Might have been more down to the Boyle and Watt link and just kept him ticking over. He eventually signed for St Johnstone so it was before the period you mention.

There were rumours that he was on a more formal trial after he was punted from CSKA but as you say, that could easily just be people speaking on forums. I can't find any substance to those.

For me, Watt deserves another crack down south on a decent contract, he has been excellent since he came in, on and off the park, the total opposite of what I, and probably 99% of other well fans were expecting. I wouldn't like to see him end up at another SPFL club, cause i'm bitter like that, however I can't deny a move to Hibs/Aberdeen/hearts is a step up, maybe not in terms of football but certainly in club size and wages. I must admit though I reckon I would be disappointed if we couldn't convince him to stay at Fir park over a move to Dundee.

fwiw, I really don't mind Dundee at all, just don't want to lose our best player to them which is fair enough I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He was definitely training with us when Jimmy Boyle was running the Youth team and McPake was his assistant. Dunno if McCann ever had any interest in him or not though. Might have been more down to the Boyle and Watt link and just kept him ticking over. He eventually signed for St Johnstone so it was before the period you mention.

There were rumours that he was on a more formal trial after he was punted from CSKA but as you say, that could easily just be people speaking on forums. I can't find any substance to those.

Sound. So him being on trial for definite was before "DeeWee" appeared on the scene in that January window after Watt had bailed on CSKA.

That makes sense.

As you were.

Edited by capt_oats

Just FYI, for those who Actually want to watch the Livestream of the Livingston game and are a season ticket holder then make sure you can log in.

Its the https://live.motherwellfc.co.uk link and NOT the https://ppv.motherwellfc.co.uk site. Your season ticket account (FirstName-LastName-CustNo) and password (CustNo) will only work on the live site.

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Sound. So him being on trial for definite was before "DeeWee" appeared on the scene in that January window after Watt had bailed on CSKA.

That makes sense.

As you were.

Aw, if the source was that DeeWee that was on our forum, then it's absolutely confirmed nonsense.

Seemed to get a weird cult on the Dundee forum for a bit as an 'oracle' except he was just stating as fact speculation journalists had already put on Twitter. He'd then act like, 'I told you' and everyone was lapping it up. Strange time.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Aw, if the source was that DeeWee that was on our forum, then it's absolutely confirmed nonsense.

Seemed to get a weird cult on the Dundee forum for a bit as an 'oracle' except he was just stating as fact speculation journalists had already put on Twitter. He'd then act like, 'I told you' and everyone was lapping it up. Strange time.

Aye, it was when you said he'd been on trial when you were in the Championship it threw me and I took it as being January '20 you were talking about which is when all the DeeWee nonsense was on your forum.

You'd still have been a Premiership team when Boyle was still at the club with McCann, no?

Just now, capt_oats said:

Aye, it was when you said he'd been on trial when you were in the Championship it threw me and I took it as being January '20 you were talking about which is when all the DeeWee nonsense was on your forum.

You'd still have been a Premiership team when Boyle was still at the club with McCann, no?

Right enough! Apologies. I probably just combined both scenarios into one.

4 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Depending on the impact of Omicron throughout member Associations, UEFA's hand may be forced. Based on the past 2 years, I think we can all agree nothing is set in stone.

The BBC article mentions 10 clubs are in favour of moving the break forward. Who's the two outliers and what's their rationale? Us, Celtic, Hibs, Dundee United and Livvy have all expressed a desire I have gleaned from reading a few. I'm guessing one is the Orc's in Govan as going against the majority is now their modus operandi.

Celtic will also have an agenda that suits them for no ones elses benefit apart from their own. They are world beaters at this.

6 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

From a football POV I'd question the wisdom of calling for a shutdown too. We're 3rd in the form tables and playing 8th, 11th and 9th in our next three, I don't think a break suits us.

Aye. Getting some cans and scranning leftover xmas dinner while getting a PPV stream cooked up was one of the highlights of last years festive period. Same again this year please!

Edited by rambunctious

1 hour ago, rambunctious said:

Aye. Getting some cans and scranning leftover xmas dinner while getting a PPV stream cooked up was one of the highlights of last years festive period. Same again this year please!

I don’t think you were watching the same games as me over the festive period last season if it’s a positive memory 😂

17 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Wasn’t sure about bringing the winter break forward. However, the reaction of Rangers da’s on Twitter has made me 100% behind it!

In some ways it benefits us as we have a competitive game before the Morton cup tie.  Still I was going to miss Boxing Day game so would have liked that re-scheduled. The main losers are St Johnstone who have a home game v Celtic on Boxing Day although I read Scotgov will make good losses. Not sure to what extent 🤷‍♂️

As much as I like Tony Watt, I don't care where he goes. I can see him fading away, he's found a rhythm here and it is working really well for him.

I hope either of the Dundee teams give him £5k a week and he's baws

Did many of you stick your name in the hat to be one of the 500?  I had a wee thought about it and stuck my name in, but it's purely for a chance to get out the house for a couple of hours on Boxing Day.  

I can see it being a grim experience.  Similar to the old reserve games I watched a few times at Fir Park.