Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Feels quite small time but I'll admit my reaction when I checked the score was "Oh, we didn't ship 7? Cool."

Going into the game without our culturally Scandinavians and the Bathgate Maldini, as someone mentioned yesterday we've went to Parkhead with better defences than the makeshift one we put out yesterday and lost 4 or 5. So *small voice*..."Yay."

Granted if Forrest had scored that chance early on it could have been a different game, if Edouard was still at Parkhead it could have been a 4 goal game but he isn't and it wasn't and that's equally the case if Slattery's ping is a couple of inches lower or Sean Goss actually knew how to put his laces through a ball.

Chaos Theory and Butterfly Effect. Could, woulda, shoulda.

I had a watch of the full 90 on MFC TV and the first half was...different. A few on here picked up on Alexander talking after the United game about having changed the way we're trying to play that rang true yesterday as well...it was all very front foot, pressing - going to Parkhead and trying to do that is...bold.

Yesterday felt like we were continuing to trend in that direction following on from Hearts, United and Hibs.

For all it was a bit of a "meh" game it still feels like we're moving towards the sweet spot between Murderball and Football. Which is nice.

Mentioned this in the relegation thread but I can see January is going to be pretty big for a bunch of clubs for a bunch of different reasons tbh. It's true for a pile of teams in the middle section of the league as well (including us) eg: if United lose say Fuchs and/or Siegrist how does that affect them? What happens with Hibs as it's looking increasingly the case that they've just binned off Ross without anyone lined up?

I thought, first half especially, we looked quite good going forward, certainly tried to get forward quickly, at every opportunity, which was good to see. We tired in the second half, got a bit sloppy in possession, but so did Celtic. It definitely feel's like a corner has been turned since the Rangers game, it will be interesting to see how we fare against the teams beneath us in the table. Livi and Ross county have hit a bit of form, St Johnstone and St mirren are the total opposite.

Agree with you there on utd, Hibs need to get this appointment right to keep in touch, also important they keep fit Boyle and Nisbet fit.

interesting January coming up.

20 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I thought, first half especially, we looked quite good going forward, certainly tried to get forward quickly, at every opportunity, which was good to see. We tired in the second half, got a bit sloppy in possession, but so did Celtic. It definitely feel's like a corner has been turned since the Rangers game, it will be interesting to see how we fare against the teams beneath us in the table. Livi and Ross county have hit a bit of form, St Johnstone and St mirren are the total opposite.

Agree with you there on utd, Hibs need to get this appointment right to keep in touch, also important they keep fit Boyle and Nisbet fit.

interesting January coming up.

Aye, related to the point about us looking quite good going forward and given people have had opinions on him since he's signed (on a shree year deal) I thought Woolery had another game where he was showing shades of the sort of thing we'd see Marvin Johnson do yesterday.

Which is a good thing, I'd say.

36 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, related to the point about us looking quite good going forward and given people have had opinions on him since he's signed (on a shree year deal) I thought Woolery had another game where he was showing shades of the sort of thing we'd see Marvin Johnson do yesterday.

Which is a good thing, I'd say.

Woolery looked completely burst after about 5 games this season so I wonder if he's just the latest one to get a shock to the system by this league. I've been very impressed with him in the past few weeks. Even in the deluge vs Dundee United he was a handful. 

I’m about as happy-clappy as you can get, and I do think we did play well in the first half yesterday, but I do also think we were helped out greatly by Celtic not having an actual centre-forward on the park otherwise it possibly would have been 3 or 4. 

On 09/10/2019 at 17:05, YassinMoutaouakil said:

To take the Spanish metaphors to their ludicrous extreme, I do actually think Turnbull's "naturalrole is at False Nine. It was more apparent last season when Main and Sammon were lining up to miss chances, but I think a 4-6-0 with DT as the focal point would actually be quite an interesting experiment.

Prescient.

Was just checking the Motherwell Ticket website and it appears that tickets for the Scottish Cup game are on sale for £15 for Adults, £10 for concessions and £5 for 15 and under.

I assume the allocation for morton will be priced the same as well. Hopefully Omicron doesn't result in lockdownas and an empty stadium just like last year's Scottish cup match (which was also against morton in the 4th round).

13 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Was just checking the Motherwell Ticket website and it appears that tickets for the Scottish Cup game are on sale for £15 for Adults, £10 for concessions and £5 for 15 and under.

I assume the allocation for morton will be priced the same as well. Hopefully Omicron doesn't result in lockdownas and an empty stadium just like last year's Scottish cup match (which was also against morton in the 4th round).

120 minutes of absolutely fucking honking football followed by about 5 solid minutes of me laughing out loud. 

48 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

120 minutes of absolutely fucking honking football followed by about 5 solid minutes of me laughing out loud. 

I totally forgot about that game, obliterated it from my memory, there is probably a handful of games i remember watching the entire season, the european games, the formartine game and the hibs one in the scottish.

I have no recollection of the league cup, who we played? who put us out, a total blur !!

St Johnstone put us out of the League Cup, didn't they? We went 1-up I'm sure before losing two late-ish goals. 

Also had no recollection of playing Morton in last year's cup and just had to look it up. I watched it at the time but obviously launched it from my memory pretty sharpish. 

27 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I just remember us being broadly shite but Devante Cole occasion scoring

Wanst it O'Donnell that's scored. A brilliant strike just at the end. Then we immediately let Morton score an equaliser. Its literally the only moments from the ga e that I even remember.

I'm another one that genuinely forgot that we played Morton in the cup last season - it kind of sums up where a lot of us were in engagement at that point I suppose. Also - we must have played Morton more than any other non-top flight team, they all melt into one.

ETA - there it is in all its glory - first time I've seen this TBH.

Edited by Swello

55 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Wanst it O'Donnell that's scored. A brilliant strike just at the end. Then we immediately let Morton score an equaliser. Its literally the only moments from the ga e that I even remember.

:lol: Aye sorry that was my review of the season as a whole, the typo on "occasionally" didn't help

16 hours ago, Desp said:

St Johnstone put us out of the League Cup, didn't they? We went 1-up I'm sure before losing two late-ish goals. 

Aye. I'm sure you ended up with Lamie at LB, isolated against O'Halloran, and he just destroyed him a couple of times.