Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Aye and that he calls him Graham . Maybe I'm showing my age but surely a 20 year old making his first big move should be calling him The Boss/ The Gaffer / Mr Alexander . Tbf I think that just adds weight to his given monicker of Shagger.

Clocked that as well but then remembered that I'd read a couple of interviews with him recently and he didn't call his Bohs manager "gaffer" or the like either instead it's "Keith".

“Keith [Long, Bohs manager] calls me and Bucko [team-mate Keith Buckley] street footballers. We grew up working for everything and didn’t get anything handed to us, and that’s benefited me with a determination of getting knocked down, or not getting picked, and I feel like I have a point to prove."

"I had Keith [Long] and Bohs, who I can’t thank enough for what they did for me, they got me into counselling, I still have my bad days but the good days are worth living."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

That's quite a read - an incredibly difficult life and obviously a very strong young man.

Aye - when I read that, I instantly wanted him to do well with us - the video just underlined that...

What a guy. When you see the smiles on his face in the video you'd never have guessed his journey. I guess that's how it works though...a smile can hide a multitude of things. All the respect in the world for him.

“But I’m happy now. I know that some days I won’t be happy and I’m fine with that. I know that when I get to that stage I will be happy to open up, that I have counselling to go back to and I have family, that I wouldn’t have opened to before.“

This laddie at 20 is far brighter than I am in my 30s. Fair play.

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

On a slightly lighter note, his final sentence implies he's going to fit right in here: "What’s Plan B? To make Plan A work."

Ironically, I get the impression he's going to be a part of our Plan B given he seems to be more of a #10 (which we don't really have anywhere in the squad). Albeit he says himself he can play a few positions. I can see him giving us the option to try 4231 - which is a shape we were switching to in the later stages of games earlier in the season along with the 433.

I see the wee man lost out in the FAI YPoTY. One of his teammates won it (and another Bohs player, Georgie Kelly, won the PoTY).

1002826765_ScreenShot2021-12-04at11_51_10.thumb.png.5e05a4e3372f87cbf3b11342e8a36d61.png

Welp, I just bought a ticket for the celtic match Yesterday and I think we will be going I to that game with a 2-4-4 formation. All I wanted to do was visit a lot of away grounds this season after a year of lockdown but of course I pick the wrong games.

Can't think of a better club for Tierney to go to. Lots of community focus and projects in both clubs, quite a similar ethos. Very confident that he's in the right place and that he'll do very well. Caught the two games this week and I think he'll slot in nicely on the pitch too.

The club are heavily involved in suicide awareness programmes and mental health issues. He hopefully won't need it but I'm sure if he does that any support required will be available. We also have a reputation for helping players fit in so hopefully he'll feel right at home and make an impact on the pitch.

9 hours ago, Neil86 said:

Apparently Watt was on SSB on Thursday and said we still haven't offered him a deal, I haven't heard it but very surprised at that. 

The idea that Tony hasn't been in contract discussions of some sort with us is bizarre, even if it isn't at the formal stage. 

It's simple - we'll offer whatever we can afford (and he would likely be one of the best paid Motherwell players post-admin (and ever)- and some other clubs might blow us out the water because they can. Unlikely maybe, but he might even chose enjoying his football over a trip down south. 

One thing - I can't remember being so impressed with a players' attitude Vs what I thought we'd be getting - so whatever happens - good luck to him.