Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Since I started going to the football, we've beaten Celtic a mere 10 times in 24 years. If you think I'm not going to celebrate any victory against them massively, never mind the one where their fans are most beelin', you are very much mistaken.

Mind you, Thompson will have serialised his book in that rag with such a line of bait that it would get people talking about it and you'd say he's achieved that.

45 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Since I started going to the football, we've beaten Celtic a mere 10 times in 24 years. If you think I'm not going to celebrate any victory against them massively, never mind the one where their fans are most beelin', you are very much mistaken.

Mind you, Thompson will have serialised his book in that rag with such a line of bait that it would get people talking about it and you'd say he's achieved that.

After years of watching the OF supporters in the South Mclean Stand having a great time as they strolled to a win - it was massively satisfying to witness the scenes that day and in truth was one of the funniest things I've ever seen at the football*. I'd seen us beat Celtic quite a lot by that point but it was certainly one of the sweetest (along with the cup semi-final in 91 and Jamie Dolan day)

*The Rangers playoff was this x100 as it directly affected us. 

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

*The Rangers playoff was this x100 as it directly affected us. 

The Rangers playoff is definitely the most fun I have had and will ever have at a game of football. The c***s storming for the exit after Cammy Bell's lettuce hands struck and folk giving them absolute pelters on the road out. 

+1 for the sad flare chat yesterday too. 

If Tony Watt leaves us in the summer with around 15 goals and another POTY award, all you can do is shake his hand and say thanks very much.  I was doubtful he'd do much for us when he signed, given his reputation, but he's been first class since the day he walked in the door.  Footballers or not, folk go out to work to do the best they can and to earn enough money to give their family the best life possible.  If another business offered you or I double or treble your salary to go and work somewhere, everyone of us would be out the door in a flash.  Footballers, at the level we operate, are no different.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

The Rangers playoff is definitely the most fun I have had and will ever have at a game of football. The c***s storming for the exit after Cammy Bell's lettuce hands struck and folk giving them absolute pelters on the road out. 

I had more fun at the Celtic game, I think, because it didn't really matter to us which way the game went. I think I burst out laughing when McDonald scored his first.  I definitely did when the second dropped in (though, to this day I still wished he'd squared it to Gerry Britton!).

For the playoff game, I was still nervous they c***s would get back into it even when Ainsworth made it 5-1 on aggregate.  Granted, the days that followed were utterly sensational in the patter stakes.

In my early days as a 'Well fan we actually had a decent win rate against Rangers. We obviously beat them to ruin their 9IAR party in 96/97, Willie Falconer's diving heider in 97/98, Spencer's debut goal in 98/99, the win on the final day of the season in 99/00 and since then there's only been Boxing Day 2002 in the league since.

Granted, the meltdown and patter from both the playoff win and the league cup semi-final since beats any routine league victory we ever could have mustered. 

Although, we should have beat them in 2018 when we were 2-0 up at half time and in 2009 when Jim O'Brien missed that late pen in a 0-0.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

11 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Although, we should have beat them in 2018 when we were 2-0 up at half time and in 2009 when Jim O'Brien missed that late pen in a 0-0.

And when Hateley lashed in that free kick when the pitch looked like wishie beach.

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

And when Hateley lashed in that free kick when the pitch looked like wishie beach.

That the same game when Craigan scored in the 2nd half, only for it to be chalked off for offside despite him being three yards onside?

19 minutes ago, Desp said:

That the same game when Craigan scored in the 2nd half, only for it to be chalked off for offside despite him being three yards onside?

2 minutes ago, superwellfan said:

Was it not Forbes? 🤔

Paging @crazylegsjoe_mfc for confirmation...

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

Paging @crazylegsjoe_mfc for confirmation...

If I remember correctly, it was one of those ones where Craigan headed it and there was dubiety over whether Forbes got a touch on it or it went straight in.

Edit - BBC match report's take on it:

"Motherwell looked to extend their lead at the start of the second half and Forbes knocked the ball into the net after Craigan headed down Hateley's free-kick but the goal was ruled out for offside.

However, video replays appeared to show that both Craigan and Forbes had been onside."

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

If I remember correctly, it was one of those ones where Craigan headed it and there was dubiety over whether Forbes got a touch on it or it went straight in.

Just checked it there; Craigan wasn't off when he poked it towards the goalline, Forbes was even less off when he thumped it in to make sure.

18 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Just checked it there; Craigan wasn't off when he poked it towards the goalline, Forbes was even less off when he thumped it in to make sure.

Craigan was raging at Forbes as it was going in anyway, it would have been given (you would think) if he had left it.  I think Forbes was behind Craigan when he made his run.

I definitely did when the second dropped in (though, to this day I still wished he'd squared it to Gerry Britton!)

Has Gerry Britton not freely admitted (jokingly I assume) that if McDonald had squared it, that ball would have cleared the Cooper and landed somewhere on Airbles Road given his ‘allegiances’?

18 minutes ago, dezz said:

Has Gerry Britton not freely admitted (jokingly I assume) that if McDonald had squared it, that ball would have cleared the Cooper and landed somewhere on Airbles Road given his ‘allegiances’?

This would actually have been even funnier, IMO.

18 minutes ago, dezz said:

Not that I remember - but that was certainly my take at the time evidenced by his dejected look after it went in :)

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

Not that I remember - but that was certainly my take at the time evidenced by his dejected look after it went in :)

It was apparently a thing. ('Jokingly' of course)

“And Gerry always says, when Scott runs through for the second goal and Gerry’s standing right in the middle of the 18-yard box just waiting for a tap in, he winds everyone up by saying if McDonald had squared it to him the ball was going into orbit!

“Knowing the big man that would have gone right in the top corner because he loves scoring goals.”

Link