Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Thanks BBC, would like to see a wee switchup, won't be anything other than a 4-3-3 though.
Appreciate Donnelly has been injured before Covid was a growth in a petri dish ..... and out of form when we have seen him this year. Would be nice to actually see SOD in his preferred position before fully writing him off. McGinley is dugmeat. Still reckon that lineup has two that are still crocked and one is out of favour.
motherwell-selector-2021-8774bf04b42bdb4ce2b8004e01c2c18a.thumb.jpeg.397102f10b620a6189a581d31766e6b0.jpeg
This would be my line up (or similar) every week. I have no idea why we persist with 4-3-3 when our squad is arguably better equipped for 5-3-2.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Even when we win I am sceptical. Aberdeen have been woefully inconsistent all season and I'm not sure how much of the Hearts result was down to our tactics and how much was down to Hearts being completely pish. 

I think he's won enough games since he's been in the job for me to be comfortable that he's a competent enough manager. So that's nice.

I think broadly his signings have been fine as well. Especially compared to Robinson's lucky dip approach. The Alexander signings that we've not seen much of are the ones that I think we all realised were punts from the moment they were announced.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the players who have been an issue form-wise have been the ones that Alexander inherited (while there are also clearly players who were already here that he's got far more of a tune from than Robinson ever did).

Generally I like the cut of his jib but, I think I've mentioned this before, I find his lack of identifiable style a bit weird. Like, I think it was @Swello pointed out that his style is "just-fucking-win" but for a manager who's 400+ games deep in his career to not really be able to get an idea of how he wants the game to be played is unusual.

As I said, Robinson hit a point where he was desperate to tell everyone how he thought the game should be played and what he wanted his team to look like.

For all everyone's banging on about the 433, I took a quick look at his last full season at Salford and while Transfermarkt isn't exactly reliable on this sort of stuff I'd imagine at least some of it is accurate. Basically there are a pile of different formations - back 5s, back 3s, 442s along with one or two 433s.

Go figure.

The full page is here if you want a look.

506244252_ScreenShot2021-11-30at13_58_05.thumb.png.d816f9e48696def3d10c8423801ff560.png

9 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:
9 hours ago, Kapowzer said:
Thanks BBC, would like to see a wee switchup, won't be anything other than a 4-3-3 though.
Appreciate Donnelly has been injured before Covid was a growth in a petri dish ..... and out of form when we have seen him this year. Would be nice to actually see SOD in his preferred position before fully writing him off. McGinley is dugmeat. Still reckon that lineup has two that are still crocked and one is out of favour.
motherwell-selector-2021-8774bf04b42bdb4ce2b8004e01c2c18a.thumb.jpeg.397102f10b620a6189a581d31766e6b0.jpeg

This would be my line up (or similar) every week. I have no idea why we persist with 4-3-3 when our squad is arguably better equipped for 5-3-2.

Stinking.

Woolery has been worth his start most weeks. Neither Carroll or O'Donnell are good enough to be attacking outlets. And none of the midfielders are really guys that want to run beyond a striker.

We have a front 3 that scores goals and wins matches. Sometimes it doesn't work and we shit the bed like at Dens but it is better than setting up barely an attacking threat.

7 hours ago, rowsdower said:

So, is that us only got two center backs now?

Just watching the game now, looking forward to the swimming.

We're looking short on bodies in general for Satruday. If we lose Maguire to suspension and big Sol to injury from last night's game and don't get anyone back, it looks like the bold Mich'el Parker might even get a seat on the bench.

5 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

We're looking short on bodies in general for Satruday. If we lose Maguire to suspension and big Sol to injury from last night's game and don't get anyone back, it looks like the bold Mich'el Parker might even get a seat on the bench.

Mich'el or Robbie Crawford, choose your figher.

I was going to go all Ecce Romani about Cornelius until I realised that it was the sister who was Cornelia and the brother was Marcus.  The boy Sextus sounds like he has a bit about him, could do a job?

Edit : I’ve blown it the whole family was called Cornelius, I should have stuck my guns.  Mrs Meikle could have been proud.

Edited by ropy

After 16 games, I'm still not sure what to make of us TBH.

We score plenty of goals, which is great and something that Alexander deserves credit for IMO. I think that Watt, KVV & Woolery are a great mix up front and although Tony doesn't like being out of the centre, I think the setup that we saw last night is our best one. KVV is the one that I'd like to see more consistency from - as both Watt and Woolery are performing well now - but he needs to play in the central role every week. The no-nonsense punting of the staunchest wee man in the squad  improved the forward line instantly.

At the other end of the park, we seem to either keep clean sheets or get pumped. In other seasons, the number of injuries and suspensions in defence would have utterly killed us - we'd be down to playing a half fit Liam Donnelly and a pale, skinny boy out the reserves by this stage - but the fact our squad is good enough to handle  playing different combinations every single week and still perform creditably is a reason why we are in the top half at this point. The most unlikely thing is that SOD is (justifiably) being kept out the team by Bevis Mugabe, who IMO would be on the shortlist for our POTY if it were being judged now. I'd still like to see Ojala and Sol play some games together as I think they are clearly our first choice pairing, but that may never happen at this rate - so thank f**k for Lamie 2021.

Midfield is where it gets messy. In a good summer's recruitment - this is the one that feels like we didn't get it right. Slattery is great - for a guy with not much first team experience, being dropped into a new league and having to carry the midfield has been harsh on him - but he's one of the best shithousers going and can really play a bit too. As a replacement for Wee Alan, we couldn't have asked for much more although it's obvious that he's got a bit to learn yet. Other than that - it's taken until the Hearts game for us to have a combination that looks like it can compete properly. I didn't want us to sign Goss - but he's improved hugely with a run of games and I now get the fear when we don't have his set piece delivery to rely on. Given the number of long term deals we've chucked about elsewhere - I'd imagine midfield will be the main focus in the next 2 windows.

Overall, I'm quite enjoying the season - I don't get so worried about Murderball and I honestly don't have a clue about formations and things with a lower case "x" before them. There's no reason we can't finish in the top half this season.

45 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Alan Thompson joining Robbie Neilson’s gang, Motherwell should not celebrate victories.  I headed off to the car last night but I hope the players donned black arm bands and left the pitch with their heads bowed.

Edited by ropy

37 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

This is even better than when Scott McDonald gets publicly upset every time the SPFL account posts those two goals on his birthday. 

This is fucking great. "The way Motherwell celebrated was an absolute disgrace. There was no respect."

Is this cúnt thick? Respect? what the fúck is he on about?

I'd love to see him cry about it on telly.