Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

Hendry and McClair are good shouts. Expected them to be great.
McCormack, second time round, I didn’t have high hopes for. Not sure why given how good he was first time. 

Was quite excited on hearing about McCormacks imminent return. Seeing him shoehorned into an XXXL top tempered that initial enthusiasm somewhat. 

Major disappointment, but going by his recent past and physical condition, no real surprise. 

To add to those already mentioned, I’d  probably add Brian Kerr and Bigi to the list.

Don’t get me wrong, you got three of four screamers out of Kerr a season, but aside from that he was the hide and seek champ. Absolutely no heart from someone who was supposedly a Motherwell fan (I’ll hazard a guess he actually wasn’t).

With Bigi, as Cov are my second team, I’d seen a fair bit of him already and based on that I was convinced he was going to be a cracking signing for us. On the other hand, Rose was seen as a good utility / fringe player at Cov and he was often plagued by injury. I would never have guessed Rose to have a better time up here than Bigi.

I remember thinking Simon Mensing was going to be a great signing for us. McGhee took one look at him and then launched him into the sea. 

I will always wonder what could have been with Wes Fletcher if he hadn't have gotten injured in his second game. 

The bold Steven Goldcastle must be up there.  I mean, after that thread on Steelmen it was unlikely to turn out to be anything else, but I was particularly annoyed by just how pish he was.

There were quite a few during the Davies era that went down similarly due to their ‘pedigree’ - think Steven Cosgrove, Neil Tarrant, basically anyone we signed for a fee in those days 🙄

It has to be down to the pedigree of where they've came from and while in the doldrums Villa (despite the assertions of many in Govan) are a massive club in England's second biggest city ...... Ross McCormack.

McClair promised a lot too and nothing came of it.

I'd also put Ole Gunner Solksjaer who we were "so close to signing" and Jari Litmanen who Kampman was best mates with when I think he was at Ajax, they'd have flopped.

Think of all the players we've signed and never seen, that defender in Jan, Sloth (apart from a PaddyPower ad), Parker ... don't think I've seen him in the background of training, Max Johnson's dug .....

I would never have guessed Rose to have a better time up here than Bigi.

I really liked Andy Rose. Was never fantastic, just a consistent 7/10 every week and went quietly about his business while those around him were bodying anything that moved. Real class act in all his interviews as well.

In terms of disappointments there are a fair few players who did well with us first time round and then didn't get anywhere near it on their return: Stephen Hughes, Henrik Ojamaa, Ross McCormack, David Clarkson.

The Irish trio under Malpas probably takes the award though. Such optimism that they were going to be stand outs, just a pity they were all complete dugmeat.

I'm struggling to remember any player who came out of nowhere and generated so much excitement as Ojamaa did in his first spell. Every time he got the ball it felt like we were going to see the pistols.

He was dynamite, and just seemed to complement our team incredibly well.

35 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

I'm struggling to remember any player who came out of nowhere and generated so much excitement as Ojamaa did in his first spell. Every time he got the ball it felt like we were going to see the pistols.

He was dynamite, and just seemed to complement our team incredibly well.

The game against Hearts at Fir Park where Lasley had been sent off and Ojamaa absolutely terrorized them on the way to a 3-0 win was one of the best individual performances that I've seen. Shame that like a lot of stuff from that time, it doesn't seem to exist outside of the SPFL vaults which they only show occasional goals from.

I was really disappointed with Jake Taylor. He was described as a Welsh international and we signed him round about the time the Welsh national team started becoming half decent. He was the emptiest of empty jerseys. If he hadn't been sent off in one game I doubt I'd even remember him.

I'd also add the permanent signing of Kevin Mcbride. Brilliant on loan and beyond useless once he signed permanently.

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

The game against Hearts at Fir Park where Lasley had been sent off and Ojamaa absolutely terrorized them on the way to a 3-0 win was one of the best individual performances that I've seen. Shame that like a lot of stuff from that time, it doesn't seem to exist outside of the SPFL vaults which they only show occasional goals from.

48 minutes ago, Swello said:

Shame that like a lot of stuff from that time, it doesn't seem to exist outside of the SPFL vaults which they only show occasional goals from.

So basically, anything 2012 onwards (and the formation of the SPFL) all exists and is readily available. 

Anything pre-that is reliant on how well someone archived a decade ago, so is...patchy. Particularly 2010-2012.