Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 hours ago, Neil86 said:

Probably going to be a weekly occurrence, until he does, but Watt has to sign a new deal. I'd also like us to officially announce Tierney, a lot of hype about him doing the rounds.

Bohemians last game is the FAI Cup final on Sunday coming, their final league game was a 1-1 with Sligo on Friday just there. Tierney started. Either way I'd imagine we'll hold off on any announcement until after their season is officially done.

I've no idea when LOI contracts expire mind, whether it's the end of November or end of December. Transfermarkt has his contract expiring on December 31st (and also has him joining us as his 'upcoming transfer')

I know it was pretty much been an open secret that the deal's done even before Alexander spoke about him but it still feels a bit weird he went on record when he did and also the very weird way he sort of confirmed it.

“We had an agreement with Bohemians that we would allow him to finish the season over in Ireland.

“He is an exciting young player who will come in and enhance our firepower and our quality.

“It’s been a long one, and it’s still not over the line as he still isn’t here yet.

“But we are delighted that he is coming to join us.

“He’s an attacking midfielder who can play in the front three, he creates opportunities and can score. He works his socks off and he is still only 20.

“After speaking to him quite a bit he was dead keen on the opportunity of coming to play for us so we are delighted.

Link

Edited by capt_oats

Considering we asked Aberdeen to keep Dec's transfer hush until after the season and Aberdeen made the official announcement it would be a bit too faced a few months later to do the same ..... officially.

Wonder if he's envisaged as a starter, sub or development type player.

Safe to say Parker will be off in January and interesting to see what we'll do with Roberts.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I was hoping he was a midfielder but from what I have read recently sounds like he's gonna be considered a "forward"

Nah, he's definitely a midfielder.

There's probably an argument for him being an "attacking midfielder" or a #10 but from what I can see calling him a forward would be a stretch.

This is where he fits in for Bohemians.

FElD0yVXIAMPBbl?format=jpg&name=large

1819945485_ScreenShot2021-11-22at20_43_07.thumb.png.cc1d4a72e5309a20c04bbdd686c7f667.png

Edited by capt_oats

52 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Turnbull from Wish.com

Bohemians must be upset a 20 year old in a pivotal role is leaving for nothing.

I'd imagine we'll be paying some sort of development fee rather than getting him for nothing like. I could be wrong though but given we've not been shy in paying some fees over the summer I'd be surprised if we didn't do the right thing.

He's just a wee guy, going by his Wiki he's only 5' 9" and from the sound of things he seems more like someone who plays between the lines than being an all out Turnbull-style baller.

Annoyingly there's not much by way of video highlight reels on YouTube and while you caveat the difference in leagues it's still worth noting his Transfermarkt has him contributing 15 assists for Bohemians this season. So that's something.

492242120_ScreenShot2021-11-22at23_35_57.thumb.png.c2938f1db3675b792b0a70096581803e.png

I don't know if the bold @RandomGuy. is still churning out his graphs but it'd be interesting to know how Tierney compares with Robbie Gotts in terms of his role or just generally a frame of reference for players in the Premiership in a: "If you like Ross Tierney you may also like...." sort of way.

Oh, it seems like Tierney's up for the PFAI Young Player of The Year as well.

2134441481_ScreenShot2021-11-23at00_05_52.thumb.png.cffd2254380cdb7db1669baccc9e9f99.png

Link

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

He's just a wee guy, going by his Wiki he's only 5' 9" and from the sound of things he seems more like someone who plays between the lines than being an all out Turnbull-style baller.

Soooo .... Turnbull from Wish.com then?

Would be interesting how he came on to our radar, was it the new head of talent, moneyball stats software, GA sharing a dressing room with his Dad in 2005, friend of a friend? And then how we managed to secure him and convince Motherwell was the next positive step on his career, I would have thought there would be a few clubs interested in a player of his demonstrated capabilities and up for a league YPotY.

While I agree the Irish league is not the same calibre as the SPFL, if there was a 20 year old playing for East Fife, scoring 7 with 15 assists I'd be expecting our scouts to be seriously checking him out.

Key fact from those stats is goal participation 37%, over 1 in 3 ........ that's him up in Lamie territory.

Also a positive announcement on Tony's future would be a nice Christmas present for us all.

Edited by Kapowzer

Guest superward

I'd be careful we don't build him up into the second coming of Turnbull. From a mate who has watched the irish league and seen him live, he said Tierney is defintley better than most others around him when he's seen him and very promising, an advanced midfielder. But this season has been his break through, and with the other teams/players he's up against in the league it's hard to know really how he will do elsewhere. Certainly should give us another attacking option from midfield in the second half of the season but I'd imagine he will be just that to begin with rather than being brought in to start.

Re Watt - he still has an eye on a more lucrative move down south, after the August one fell through, from what I hear. Can't blame him really as a striker about to turn 28, this next contract is probably his last chance to get a big one. 

Edited by superward

3 hours ago, superward said:

I'd be careful we don't build him up into the second coming of Turnbull. From a mate who has watched the irish league and seen him live, he said Tierney is defintley better than most others around him when he's seen him and very promising, an advanced midfielder. But this season has been his break through, and with the other teams/players he's up against in the league it's hard to know really how he will do elsewhere. Certainly should give us another attacking option from midfield in the second half of the season but I'd imagine he will be just that to begin with rather than being brought in to start.

Aye, I realise I've been posting a fair bit about him, less about hyping him and more I find him an interesting signing relative to the make up of our squad at the moment. To be clear, I've barely seen him kick a baw. As I said highlights of him specifically are pretty difficult to come by on YouTube or whatever.

What's piqued my interest is his "profile" in so much as he's pretty much the opposite of a 6ft+ lump like O'Hara and he also looks like he operates in a similar area of the park to Gotts who we were linked with before the window shut.

It kind of suggests we've been looking for someone to play a specific role - and it's a type of player that we don't actually have when you look thought our midfield options at the moment.

100% agree btw, I'd imagine he'll be coming off the bench rather than being brought in as a starter.

Edited by capt_oats

Looking ahead to the weekend, our record against teams below us in the league is 5 x W, 2 x D, 1 x L.  And the Loss was against Hibs whose position in the league is unclear.

So more of the same please, avenge the Cup defeat and get a bit of a run going.

Guest superward
1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

I like how we're all saying to hold our horses on Turnbull comparisons when 2 pages ago we had him compared to Tam Muller. 😅

Haha. True.

On 22/11/2021 at 11:27, Swello said:

Also - rewatched the game on Alba and the level of niggly stuff we did to put Hearts of their game was something else - I'd have been a seething mess if it was the other way round. For connoisseurs of the bitter sounding post match interview - some of the below from Neilson will be of interest (never heard of "ratting" before)

Hide contents

“It’s direct, it’s second balls and it’s 500 miles an hour,” said Neilson. “The game was touch, tackle, free-kick, touch, tackle, throw-in, touch, tackle, corner. We just didn’t get the ball down because Motherwell ratted us for fun.

“We have to be able to handle that better. We didn’t do it and we are disappointed. I’ll be surprised if the ball was in play for more than 35 minutes in total. There was no flow in the game – corners, free-kicks, time-wasting, referee stopping play.

“It just becomes about who takes their chances. Motherwell took theirs. If you don’t take your chances you aren’t going to get anywhere.”

“I thought it was harsh,” said Neilson. “The first one, there is no contact. The boy goes down, he makes a meal of it and he [Moore] gets booked. The second one, they go shoulder-to-shoulder. The boy [Shields] knows if he goes down then the ref has a decision to make.

“It wasn’t a tackle, the leg doesn’t go across. It’s shoulder-to-shoulder, the boy goes down. To be honest, that was the story of the game. I thought they did the dark arts very well. They made it very scrappy and made it difficult for us. It wasn’t a great game, put it that way.

I'm not disputing that we're currently excelling in the 'dark arts', nor am I by any means saying that the BBC's reporting is gospel, but I do find it funny that Neilson is implying that we kicked them off the park when the match report actually has Hearts out-fouling us. Also interesting recollection of the sending off, as if it's only a foul if a leg is involved.

Edited by stu92

We're in that "no disrespect" / "teams like" group where others just can't take it when they lose to us. Despite the fact that outside of the Glasgow two, everyone beats everyone else, and many of the other bigger teams have been relegated more than once during our stint in the top league.

I'm sure many supporters of other teams regularly forget we're a thing, like I sometimes forget St J and livi, but turning up to Fir Park just expecting a win to happen isnt good tactics. That only works for accies. You can't take any team lightly in this league.

Interview with Tierney on the LOI Central podcast.

Speaks very well considering some of the subjects they cover. Considering I know f**k all about him or the LOI it's a good listen if you've got the inclination.

Incidentally, literally they first thing they mention is his moving to Motherwell.