Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

For me last season was about getting safe.  Tick.

This season is about getting players in (3 year contracts) and finding a way through the season. Keep us competitive. Tick.

Next season everything should be in place, any gaps will have been filled and we will compete for the treble?

16 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I think one of the vaguely interesting aspects is that there have been points under Alexander when we've tried to play "Good Football" in so much as playing out from the back etc. Having the centre backs dropping in at bye kicks was one of the tactical decisions that bent folk out of shape as much as the short corners (incidentally, we had 2 corners against Aberdeen...both went straight into the box).

The Hibs game on the opening day, I genuinely thought we went at it on the front foot and it was an enjoyable game/performance. The obvious caveat is that we lost.

Even last season the shambles of the 3-0 against St Johnstone when we had the injuries and Polworth phoned it in before being patched to play with the weans for the rest of the season - we were trying (and failing) to play from the back, we only had like 2 touches in the St Johnstone box in 90 mins.

Even this season up in Perth you had Donnelly getting caught on the ball 20 yard from goal and Stevie May had that chance to put Saints 1-0 up.

It feels like when we've reverted to Murderball we've at least managed to get some Ws.

Tbf I'm one who doesn't class "possession" football as exciting tbh. If a teams not good enough to do it then it's just horrendous.

There's a delightful middle ground between stacking the middle of the park and trying to sneak a goal from nothing, and fannying about completing 200 passes between you CBs and keeper, that some Scottish clubs seem determined to miss.

20 hours ago, ropy said:

For me last season was about getting safe.  Tick.

This season is about getting players in (3 year contracts) and finding a way through the season. Keep us competitive. Tick.

Next season everything should be in place, any gaps will have been filled and we will compete for the treble?

Might change this season’s target to competing for Europe 

33 minutes ago, ropy said:

Might change this season’s target to competing for Europe 

I appreciate this was probably Hearts worst performance of the season but they were absolutely fucking dugmeat, it's definitely not inconceivable we could finish above them IMO. 

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Absolutely here for the Ricki Lamie redemption arc lads.

Lamie has had an excellent 2021. He upped his game in the Alexander era.

Still some instances where he forgets how to play football. Kicking the ball onto the roof of the main stand from a drop ball was a highlight today.

A goal and 2 assists in his last 4 appearances. Not bad.