Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Guest superward
11 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Saw on AVFTT that he has been moved into the midfield.

Aye, seems to be playing right mid on a 3-4-3. So a bit of a roving role up and down 

11 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

South Stand renamed the Tommy McLean stand.

That’s……weird.

Fair play to the bold Tommy. If that's what the ballot said, then that's what it said, although I don't remember many people punting it as a serious option at the time.

It's been the Joe Wark stand in my mind for a while now, though, and that's going to take some shifting.

Not to put 2+2 together but I'd guess that's probably a factor if a replacement hasn't been sorted. We were advertising a 'Development Manager' role as of 24th September.
I appreciate the salary has to come out of contributions but can you get much experience for £25-30k? Genuine question as I really don't know.

56 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
15 hours ago, capt_oats said:
Not to put 2+2 together but I'd guess that's probably a factor if a replacement hasn't been sorted. We were advertising a 'Development Manager' role as of 24th September.

I appreciate the salary has to come out of contributions but can you get much experience for £25-30k? Genuine question as I really don't know.

I know there's been a few applicants for it, but would it f**k be me. Salary not even close to what it would be worth, putting up with the grief from some of the, ahem, interesting members of our support. A wise man on here once referred to their type as 'fleece wearers'. 

I've never been in the market for work in the "Business Development Manager" area so this is off the back of a quick Google and presented without comment:

1487027397_ScreenShot2021-11-14at15_36_14.thumb.png.e187c7b6c4caab359aac2b6bd7ccf54b.png

Also, according to this article from 15th March 21 the WS brings in £15k+ per month in subscriptions...so £180k p/a.

That £30k as a top end of the salary scale comes in at 16.66% of annual subscription income.

Edited by capt_oats

Tbf, you can take a fairly hefty percentage off the norm for any (non-football playing or managing) job in football because its a job in football.

It isn't right, but it's pretty much par for the course.

Edited by thisGRAEME
Missing words because I'm a goon

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Tbf, you can take a fairly hefty percentage off the norm for any (non-football playing or managing) job in football because its a job in football.

It isn't right, but it's pretty much par for the course.

To that point, a current thread on Twitter dot com

Burton currently have a similar vacancy to the WS role at their community trust although salary is just listed as "negotiable, depending on experience".

https://www.burtonalbioncommunitytrust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Business-Development-Manager-Vacancy-Pack.pdf

Edited by capt_oats

Teams on that list like Norwich and Forest with multiple players who earn more in a week than they are offering in these posts for a year. Could they not just knock literally a few quid per week off the obscene salaries of distinctly average players (Scott McKenna reportedly on £15k per week, ffs!!). to cover the cost of offering what would be the going rate for the position in most other walks of life? Doubt it would cause the players any hardship and would attract the clubs the best applicants for the post.

I know we operate in a wholly different financial stratosphere from these sides, but even at our level the salary seems derisory for what I imagine the job would entail. Money in football is one fucked up place.

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

I know we operate in a wholly different financial stratosphere from these sides, but even at our level the salary seems derisory for what I imagine the job would entail. Money in football is one fucked up place.

Tbf, I'm not sure I'd say the salary on offer is derisory, to me it's probably in line with what I'd expect a fan owned club with a core supporter base of 4000-5000 to be offering as a package.

Is it enough to make me want to reconsider my similar-ish actual day job and apply? No. Can I imagine someone who's invested enough in Motherwell FC getting excited about the possibilities of the role and being happy to trade off some salary for job satisfaction? Sure.

Equally I think the key thing to remember is that it's not Motherwell FC who are the employers here, it's The Well Society. As I say, if the report I linked to earlier in the thread is correct and the WS subscriptions come in at £15k+ per month = £180k pa then I can only imagine the heads-gone from the more interesting elements of our support (that @Desp alluded to) if it turned out that we were offering say, £40k-£50k pa salary to someone to run the society.

Even the £30k on offer could cause some aneurysms tbh.

I get the argument would be that if you offer a better salary you potentially get better candidates which should equal better results/growth but still...

You're right though, reading that job description then on the face of it it's essentially rolling 3 or 4 jobs into one role which feels like a lot (I don't know what the actual workload would be like as it feels like I'm conflating club stuff with the WS). You've got social media management, media & comms, fundraising management and project management & business admin.

Edited by capt_oats

20 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Equally I think the key thing to remember is that it's not Motherwell FC who are the employers here, it's The Well Society.   

A good point and as a not-for-profit I'd guess that the WS is business registered as a charity?

As someone who works in a related sector, I'd say that it's typical for charity (3rd sector) wages to be around 10-20% below the market rate, and I've seen similar roles advertised around £31k-£37k, so it's not miles off. But likely the applicant pool will be slim and/or quite inexperienced in that salary band the WS have offered.

Edited by For Your Pies Only
Spelling