Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

O'Donnell, if he plays, will do absolutely fine for Scotland IMO.

Watt a bit unlucky, particularly as Nisbet hasn't been great, but that's how Clarke is running his squad eh? Balance and group.

I think Watt could probably have legitimately felt hard done by if Clarke had overlooked him and called someone else up, (Brophy for example) but as far as I can see he hasn't done that.

He's been in great form and is 100% worth being in the conversation but it's the same centre forwards as he had in the squad the last time; Adams, Dykes and Nisbet.

As you say, that's just how Clarke works.

Tbh the solution to O'Donnell's form to me is giving him a bit of a break and I'm not sure him being involved in the international scene for these games is 1. merited or 2. good for him.

When we look at what O'Donnell is, he's pretty much made his career out of being a solid Premiership full back. Nothing massively special but someone you can usually depend on. Therefore I reckon a hard season where we had to battle pretty hard at times to stay up, followed by going straight into the international scene (which you'd have to imagine was a fairly intense summer for him both physically and mentally), before going straight back into the domestic scene again with probably not sufficient time to rest and take a bit of stock. It's not your average "solid Premiership player"'s schedule. Couple that with getting Covid as well, albeit we don't know quite how bad it affected him. That's a tough year (and a bit) for any player IMO.

However, as an international footballer and now club captain, I don't think fans are unreasonable in expecting a bit more from him. I agree that our current system doesn't help our full backs, fully on board with that but in some passages of play on Sunday, it's difficult to make excuses for him. That first yellow card was amateurish stuff. 

To me he looks like a player that could have done with not going away with Scotland, being out of competitive football for a week, maybe even taken 2-3 days and just chilled with his family or whatever and then came back to it. I presume no-one's forcing him to make himself available for selection if he thinks he needs a rest but from the outside looking it, given his year, I think that's probably exactly what he could use.

9 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Watt a bit unlucky, particularly as Nisbet hasn't been great, but that's how Clarke is running his squad eh? Balance and group.

Clarke is defo running his squads through familiarity and companionship of the group. I don't have any issues with that to be honest, as much as I like Watt I think he's a million miles away from international football but seeing Kevin Nisbet getting called up again must be hard. Nisbet was decent, before he started getting called up.

Guest superward
9 hours ago, ropy said:

Unrelated but he was at the United game, had a chat to Burrows

Aye, I've seen him in the main stand at FP for a few games. Also saw him at Airdrie in the league cup. So he must have been keeping himself up to speed. 

Guest superward
7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Clarke is defo running his squads through familiarity and companionship of the group. I don't have any issues with that to be honest, as much as I like Watt I think he's a million miles away from international football but seeing Kevin Nisbet getting called up again must be hard. Nisbet was decent, before he started getting called up.

Aye, that was the definite line Clarke was getting out in his interviews yesterday. In general the theory is sound, and I'm for it too.  But I do think a few of the players getting called up in that squad are an absolute mile out and offers us nothing off the bench - SOD and Nisbet the two main offenders there for me. So far off form it's scary and I wouldn't trust them to do a job for us at the moment if called upon. Hope they prove me wrong!

3 hours ago, superward said:

Aye, I've seen him in the main stand at FP for a few games. Also saw him at Airdrie in the league cup. So he must have been keeping himself up to speed. 

He’s represented by/represents same agency that several of our players are. Still well thought of.

Laura Brannan is an utter rid neck to the club the way she conducts herself on social media.

Using her own personal twitter to put matchday content out during the anti-racism blackout, calling reduced crowds at the euros "heartbreaking" after all that's happened, bigging up the Rangers title celebrations on the Clyde, yesterday's outburst etc. You'd think someone would have a word with her.

Maybe the size of our club leads fans to following a low level media operative. I had no idea who it was yesterday because I rarely use Twitter and if I did I doubt I would be inclined to follow her.

I can’t see Celtic fans getting bent out of shape because of a few stupid messages from an assistant groundsman.

People tend to start accounts to obtain a following, seems the best thing to do to stifle that is perhaps unfollow?

55 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

People tend to start accounts to obtain a following, seems the best thing to do to stifle that is perhaps unfollow?

I didn't actually follow her but I could see her replies when folk I did were having a conversation.
I'm blocked now anyway so I won't be seeing her stupidity going forward.

Using her own personal twitter to put matchday content out during the anti-racism blackout.

I’m not sure who’s in control of such things, but didn’t the club post during the blackout too on YouTube. I remember it being defended as “YouTube doesn’t count” or something...