Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I simply don't understand how Alexander looks at the last 2 performances, sees that Grimshaw and SOD are issues and then ignores them?

We were winning because we were actually making opportunities and defending well. Now we are doing neither and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. Honestly I won't be surprised to lose to St Mirren and Rangers which would result in Septembers  Manager of the Month lose all 5 games in October.

O'Donnell, McGinley, Goss, Grimshaw and Woolery need to be out the team for Wednesday. Maybe even van Veen as well. 

We've got plenty of players in the squad that will be happy to show what they can do. Give them a chance. 

Is there a lack of trust?

GA sticks with the same players after 2 defeats, so a lack of trust in the squad.

GA looks at the team which is losing and does not go to the bench.

Players get to the half way line and look up and think those ahead of me won’t win a challenge, I will play it back to the keeper.

A lack of trust. 

6 hours ago, Desp said:

O'Donnell, McGinley, Goss, Grimshaw and Woolery need to be out the team for Wednesday. Maybe even van Veen as well. 

We've got plenty of players in the squad that will be happy to show what they can do. Give them a chance. 

I would agree with this. All 5 of the above could be dropped without complaint. 

OHara is no Iniesta and can also be quite ineffective in games but I am yet to see what Goss offers the side. SODs unlikely to be dropped. The only time Sol and Juhani have played together we beat Aberdeen 2-0. Also think Mugabi did well at RB.

I note the United fans saying they thought we were decent today especially going forward. The save from Watt glancing header and Mulgrew goal deflecting off McGinley was the difference. Very small margins. 

Lets face it we beat Aberdeen, Dundee and Ross County and few Well fans would have complained if any of those games had been draws. Our games (outside Old Firm) will be tight affairs and so hardly surprising we don’t get the rub of the green every game. Not taking away from the poor defending at either goal. But it was hardly St Johnstone levels of defending at their game v Livi. 

Would like to see Caroll back in the side. No great defender but McGinley is proving to be gaff prone. Would also like to see Sol and Ojala get a decent run in central defence. Play Woolery and Roberts with Watt up front. Or give Shields an opportunity. Van Veen was at Scunthorpe for a reason. He will turn it on every now and then but will blow hot and cold. 

Big game on Wed night. We simply cannot afford to lose with Rangers up next. Better yet a win would be welcome as we would all have taken 17 points from 1st round of fixtures and top 6. 

Edited by welldaft

I suspected our fans would turn on Alexander quite quickly if results were poor due to the style of play or lack of it.

Going by Facebook and Twitter reactions to his match interview, there are a lot of people calling out his post comments as bullshit. They haven’t turned on him but he needs a win.

Guest superward

Things just a bit 'meh' at the moment for me with the team.

I didn't expect to come away with anything much from the last 3 games to be honest so I'm not overly overly concerned. But the game midweek is important. We need to be coming away with points. 

Main thing for me is it seems to me like opposition teams now know how we play so are more effectively snuffing us out (One example is KVV is getting nowhere near the space he got in the first couple of games).   I'm all for persisting with a system and style of play but if other teams are sussing it out and we don't have the individual players in the team to actually make that difference and lift it, then something needs to give. 

For me the main problem stems from midfield and full backs. Midfield is narrow, so we rely on the fullbacks to create a bit. If they don't it falls to midfield and they really aren't creating much.

Alexander will persist with the system of imagine, so for midweek I would make changes, 2 or 3 at most hoping that it unlocks something. 

McGinley out, Carrol in. He gives us more moving forward. 

Grimshaw out. O'Hara in. I like Grimmy but he doesn't really give us much in there. 

I'm stopping short of dropping SOD and Goss mainly as I don't think there are much better options. I don't want to see Grimmy drop back there to RB and don't particularly want to break up Mugabi/Ojala just yet.  I'm inclined to keep Goss in for another game as a last chance. The alternative is a return to the previous midfield 3 where no one really steps out ever. 

Also, we need to have some sort of other plan for corners, criminally bad! 

Edited by superward

2 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I suspected our fans would turn on Alexander quite quickly if results were poor due to the style of play or lack of it.

Going by Facebook and Twitter reactions to his match interview, there are a lot of people calling out his post comments as bullshit. They haven’t turned on him but he needs a win.

I think a section of our fans starting turning on him after the back to back Hamilton/St Johnstone defeats in February. They were turning again after the cup defeats at the start of the season to Airdrie and Dundee. 

For whatever reason, his face doesn’t fit and I think he’ll only ever be a couple of defeats away from the sort of response we saw yesterday. Which to me, was a well over the top. 

On another day, we leave with a well earned point. However where as we were riding the crest of a wave a few weeks ago, we look lacking a bit lacking in confidence at the minute and things seem to be breaking the other way. 

Feels like Wednesday night is huge for Alexander though, lose that and I think the atmosphere will turn sour very quickly. 

Edited by Casagolda

McGinley isn’t quite a left-back and isn’t quite a left sided centre-back and as such, for me, he will ever only be good enough to be a backup.

A few weeks ago I was thinking that Grimmy’s industry and attitude in midfield was an upgrade on what the rest of our options could offer, but I’m changing my mind on that now. His signature move at the moment appears to be turning backwards and playing it back to Kelly when he could start an attack. Goss was better yesterday, which wouldn’t be hard, but like the majority of our options, I feel “half-decent” is all he’s ever going to be too. Donnelly’s absence from the bench yesterday makes me think he’s going to have a season of niggles and not get going.

Also, as much as it’s not an excuse for his anonymity of late, Van Veen isn’t helped by being stuck out on the left. I find that especially strange when we brought him as a number 9 and Watt’s best games last season came playing on the left.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

Guest superward
40 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

McGinley isn’t quite a left-back and isn’t quite a left sided centre-back and as such, for me, he will ever only be good enough to be a backup.

A few weeks ago I was thinking that Grimmy’s industry and attitude in midfield was an upgrade on what the rest of our options could offer, but I’m changing my mind on that now. His signature move at the moment appears to be turning backwards and playing it back to Kelly when he could start an attack. Goss was better yesterday, which wouldn’t be hard, but like the majority of our options, I feel “half-decent” is all he’s ever going to be too. Donnelly’s absence from the bench yesterday makes me think he’s going to have a season of niggles and not get going.

Also, as much as it’s not an excuse for his anonymity of late, Van Veen isn’t helped by being stuck out on the left. I find that especially strange when we brought him as a number 9 and Watt’s best games last season came playing on the left.

Agree with all of that.

Athough Watt has been pretty successful this season through the middle. Ideally I want them both there! 

As a couple have mentioned, really feels like 4-2-3-1 would suit this team. One of Watt/KVV up top, the other behind as a 10.  Roberts and Woollery wide. Slattery and another sitting doing the dirty stuff. 

Alexander seems to have his system though and that's it and to be fair it's worked pretty well up til recently against, arguably, a bit better opposition in Hearts, Dundee U and Celtic (I know...but there are still decent players in that team who hurt us).

Edited by superward

29 minutes ago, superward said:

Agree with all of that.

Athough Watt has been pretty successful this season through the middle. Ideally I want them both there! 

As a couple have mentioned, really feels like 4-2-3-1 would suit this team. One of Watt/KVV up top, the other behind as a 10.  Roberts and Woollery wide. Slattery and another sitting doing the dirty stuff. 

Alexander seems to have his system though and that's it and to be fair it's worked pretty well up til recently against, arguably, a bit better opposition in Hearts, Dundee U and Celtic (I know...but there are still decent players in that team who hurt us).

That's an issue for me.  Personally we don't have the players to play 4 3 3. When it works well the wide players cut it and the full backs play like wingers. Our full backs are very average.

Also an issue is play Van Veen out wide. He plays better through the middle. 

The obvious call is 3 5 2 with Watt and Van Veen up front. 

Obviously it's Alexander's call but when you look at our squad comprised of fullbacks who are better as wingbacks, centrebacks who will happily header stuff away all day, a shite midfield, ineffective wingers and two very good centre forwards it's a bit mad we aren't setting up in a 3-5-2.

Guest superward

I'd happily see 3-5-2 as well for a go,  but I'm not 100% convinced we've got the fullbacks for it though. Carrol maybe, at a push possibly McGinley but not SOD in my opinion. Too slow and shite at crossing in the main. 

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Are the corners really an issue or are they just something to focus on when things aren’t going well.  Would we prefer that just one man played a pish cross into the middle rather than two? 

I like the idea of them, but the crosses are shite and they should mix it up at times.