Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Even if Germany had won the War, it’s pretty unlikely that a whole country would change it’s language in the space of 70 years. 

Apart from anything else - a lassie in her 20's coming out with 1970's Alf Garnett patter is fucking tragic.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

more shree year deals

The Irish Tam Muller.

On 12/09/2021 at 15:12, capt_oats said:

Seems to be a bit of Twitter chat in the mentions here about us being the team in for Ross Tierney from Bohemians.

Centre mid. The Irish Thomas Müller no less. Shoutout for massive FM regen energy in the thumbnail here.

435553214_ScreenShot2021-09-12at15_10_42.thumb.png.222e1b104b4c151bcf8c44a46c9c619c.png

Be interesting to see how Tierney gets on/how hes used.

From what I know he seems to have almost exclusively played as the "10" in a 4-2-3-1 shape, sometimes so advanced hes virtually playing up front. Not one whos used in CM in a 4 man midfield unless its a hail mary move.

Maybe Goss (I know) as the immobile playmaker, Slattery as the all action one, Tierney as the attacker, in a 3 is the plan? 

ST

LW - Tierney - RW

Goss - Slattery

Edited by RandomGuy.

Guest superward
9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

From what I know he seems to have almost exclusively played as the "10" in a 4-2-3-1 shape, sometimes so advanced hes virtually playing up front. Not one whos used in CM in a 4 man midfield unless its a hail mary move.

Maybe Goss (I know) as the immobile playmaker, Slattery as the all action one, Tierney as the attacker, in a 3 is the plan? 

ST

LW - Tierney - RW

Goss - Slattery

Funnily enough, I was just speaking about 4-2-3-1 as a way we could go a few weeks back that I thought might be beneficial

Due to Watt/Grezza not meeting eye to eye to begin with, Tony having a deal nearly over the line down south in August, KVV being brought in, it seems clear in retrospect that Grezza was leading with KVV as the main central striker with Shields a back up and the others taking the wide forward spots .

However, with Watt (thankfully) still around and it all being cuddles with Grezza now as he mentioned in a recent presser, he's left with two first choice real strikers and a formation that doesn't support it. Having either pushed out wide really doesn't work to their best ability 

Its attacking as f**k, but I'd like to see the below tried one match...KVV/Watt changeable.

KVV

Roberts Watt Woolery

Slattery A.N.Other (from Donnelly/O'Hara/Goss/Maguire/Grimmy)

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

ST

LW - Tierney - RW

Goss - Slattery

That's interesting as it's been mentioned before Alexander's apparent 'go to' Plan B has been a 4231.

It's a longstanding discussion on here that while we've addressed the defence and forward areas from last season our midfield's still not quite right. The chat was that we were after another midfielder in the last window but Robbie Gotts ended up at Barrow on deadline day.

It'd be interesting if Tierney was a similar profile of player to Gotts as it'd suggest that we'd been targeting a specific role.

On the face of it it'd leave us quite heavy on numbers in midfield but I suppose Parker's deal is only until January while O'Hara, Donnelly, Grimshaw and Crawford's are up in the summer.

From the RTE piece:

"The 20-year-old can score and create goals, while his work off the ball is what marks him out as something different, even at League of Ireland level."

Link

It's fair to say that's something that we don't really have in our midfield options at the moment?

Edited by capt_oats

I think we certainly need a #10/creative midfielder.  It's the one thing we don't have in the squad.  We haven't replaced Polworth and his form from the year we finished 3rd.  Whether Tierney can do that, we'll need to wait and see.  It's a step up from the LOI, no doubt, so it may take time.  

As has been mentioned previously, we're looking pretty decent for day 1 of next season with the number of players signed up on long term deals.  Given Alexander has only really had one transfer window (i'll not count last January as he was just in the door) I'm very intrigued as to what he can build once he has the January window to tweak and the summer '22 one to get a couple more main targets.

3 hours ago, Desp said:

As has been mentioned previously, we're looking pretty decent for day 1 of next season with the number of players signed up on long term deals.  Given Alexander has only really had one transfer window (i'll not count last January as he was just in the door) I'm very intrigued as to what he can build once he has the January window to tweak and the summer '22 one to get a couple more main targets.

To re-up that point, by my count this is the contract situation:

January 22 - Parker, Roberts (loan expires)

Summer 22 - Fox, Morrison, Lamie, Mugabi, O'Connor, McGinley, Grimshaw, Maguire, O'Hara, Crawford, Donnelly, Amaluzor, Watt

Summer 23 - O'Donnell, Carroll, Ojala, Johnston, Devine, Cornelius, Goss, Van Veen, 

Summer 24 - Kelly,  Johansen, Slattery, Woolery, Shields

So on day 1 next season we've 13 players signed up which gives us starting XI of:

Kelly
O'Donnell, Johansen, Ojala, Carroll
Cornelius, Slattery, Goss
Woolery, KVV, Shields

Plus Johnston & Devine.

If we're working on getting Tierney in then you'd hope that we're also speaking to a handful of the Summer 22 expiries that we'd be keen to keep around as well.

As it stands unless things go massively sideways or other clubs start pitching up with bags of cash it looks like next summer will be less of a turnover than we've become used to.

Which, in fairness, is what both Alexander and Burrows have said is what we've been aiming for as the churn we've seen with Robinson's squads was increasingly unsustainable.

By my count we signed 55 players in 3.5 seasons (4 summer windows) under Robinson.

Spoiler

Here's Robinson's signings to date (it's a long list - I've ommitted guys like Broque Watson and Neil McLaughlin we were Craigan signings for the Reserves, it'd debatable whether Harry Robinson should be in there either but he made a couple of first team appearances so let's keep him in):

17/18
Alex Fisher, Gael Bigirimana, Craig Tanner, Trevor Carson, Andy Rose, Russell Griffiths, Charles Dunne, Cedric Kipre, George Newell, Ellis Plummer, Rohan Ferguson, Deimantas Petravičius, Liam Grimshaw, Gennadios Xenodochof, Curtis Main, Peter Hartley (loan)/(permanent), Nadir Ciftci (loan), Tom Aldred (loan) x 2, Stephen Hendrie (loan)

Total = 19

18/19
Mark Gillespie, Liam Donnelly, Danny Johnson, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin, Christian Mbulu, Conor Sammon (loan), Ross McCormack (loan), Gboly Ariyibi (loan)

Total = 9

19/20
Declan Gallagher, Liam Polworth, Jake Carroll, Casper Sloth, Jermaine Hylton, Christopher Long, Sherwin Seedorf, Christian Ilic, Christy Manzinga, Ross MacIver, Bevis Mugabi, Tony Watt, Harry Robinson, Devante Cole (loan)/permanent, Mark O'Hara (loan/permanent), Mikael Ndjoli (loan), Rolando Aarons (loan) 

Total = 17

20/21
Ricki Lamie, Jordan White, Nathan McGinley, Scott Fox, Stephen O'Donnell, Aaron Chapman, Jordan Archer, Jake Hastie (loan), Callum Lang (loan), Robbie Crawford (loan)

Total = 10

So all in we've signed 55 different players over 3.5 seasons.

Edited by capt_oats

Guest superward
23 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

This is the first I've heard of either aspect of that - is this ITK or have I missed something?

I'd previously heard grumblings in the stands that they'd fell out. But I'd kind of just thought it was a nonsense until someone who I know who's quite well connected to Scottish fitbaw mentioned it seperately and then added the deal down south.  Seems there was something to it - a fall out stretching it though. 

In a recent press conf. Alexander referenced him and Tony having a good chat. So it all seems to fit. 

No idea why there was any sort of disagreement in the first place mind you. Should say too, doesn't seem it was Watt who wanted to leave, rather Alexander having different ideas to begin with. 

Edited by superward