Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 hours ago, Well Well said:

I hope to god if they bring in VAR then its someone independent..i.e not from Scotland who makes the decisions.

William Ulsterman for the games against Sevco and Rod Stewart for the games against Celtic.

Guest superward

Aye, on VAR in the future - there is no conspiracy with refs.All that chat does my head in.

Having someone taking a second look, and third, and fourth look at incidents is only positive. Will some still not go the way fans want? Defintley. Will more of the decisions be correct overall? Definitely. 

On the game , agree with some who've said Alexander for it wrong with Goss coming in and KVV dropped. But I did get the theory behind it.  I'm more annoyed he didn't change it quicker once it was clear some players were not at it. Goss was a man down until about 60 mins and part of that was it looked like he had no relationship at all with Slattery and Grimshaw on the pitch - which to be fair he doesn't. SOD and McGinley both had bad days as well from my perspective. Not brave enough or smart enough ok positioning. 

Collum I reckon would have given that penalty on Saturday, the stand in ref was doing absolutely nothing controversial since he came on. Collum would probably also have sent Bevis off mind you.

Edited by superward

All Saturday proved was games at this level are all about small differences in class, decision making, acceleration and sharpness. Notwithstanding it was from our point of view a meh of a football game for me, not much to get excited or out your seat for a Well fan.

The line up was a it of an eye opener when I saw it, thought Carroll would have been preferred in defence to McGinley as he offers more going forward and against Aberdeen GA played him as the left side of the back three when he came on. Can't overlook the pass to Jota was perfect but SOD was a little guilty of being one second behind which at this level is the difference. If Roberts had been match fit then he may have been in more of a position to do something with Watt's square ball. And the penalty has been discussed at length.

As for the unwashed doubling down on their victimhood after getting a stonewaller disallowed but focus on what should be red and yellow cards take it to a new level. I'd wonder if they were being meta on this but I doubt many would grasp the concept.

I still wish Turnbull went to Norwich. I've also never seen a player look more like a stocky nightclub bouncer than Carter-Vickers.

We've now played all of the biggest spenders in the league and have 4 points from 15. Probably fair. Dundee Utd are on a wave and pretty confident its a top six 6 pointer.

8 hours ago, superward said:

Having someone taking a second look, and third, and fourth look at incidents is only positive. Will some still not go the way fans want? Defintley. Will more of the decisions be correct overall? Definitely. 

See that bit on Saturday when Collum was off injured and we all stood about for 5 minutes with nothing happening while the game was broken up and the crowd got quieter - having that on a regular basis while folk in a portakabin look at video replays just doesn't appeal to me.

See that bit on Saturday when Collum was off injured and we all stood about for 5 minutes with nothing happening while the game was broken up and the crowd got quieter - having that on a regular basis while folk in a portakabin look at video replays just doesn't appeal to me.

Tbf, wasn’t really paying attention, for the first 3 or 4 minutes I just thought Alexander was getting his obligatory telling off and yellow card.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Not sure how likely it is in practice but I think it would maybe be tolerable and possibly an improvement on the status quo if they did it like Tennis and limited the number of "calls"- give every team one per half or something. Watching big English/European games where they go to VAR every two minutes is soul destroying.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not sure how likely it is in practice but I think it would maybe be tolerable and possibly an improvement on the status quo if they did it like Tennis and limited the number of "calls"- give every team one per half or something. Watching big English/European games where they go to VAR every two minutes is soul destroying.

I’ve been saying this for ages now. I can bore everyone stupid with my theories on the use of challenge flags like in the NFL or how rugby, tennis and cricket (fucking cricket) are miles more progressive than football.  

3 challenges per game, f**k one up and you lose another and only have 1 left. Sorted. It’ll never happen though. 

Probably best not to start on things I reckon football could learn from baseball right enough. 

The most galling thing about Saturday was that although we are far from being a team firing on all cylinders at the moment we were far below the standards that we've shown so far this season.  We could have lost 2 nil or more to any team on that performance rather than us being overwhelmed by the mighty green machine.

One positive result from the day is that it was my boys' 1st OF experience and they have come away from it with a deep hatred of Celtic and their fans. I feel seeing and smelling it first hand has done far more than years of anecdotal evidence ever could.  Hopefully the other half will be sorted out in 2 weeks time as well . 

I thought for the first 10-15 minutes on Saturday we looked up for it. The game was end-to-end and we were putting some good passes together while progressing down the wings, a few dangerous crosses which on another day (perhaps with KVV on the park) would’ve had someone on the end of them.

Then Celtic scored, heads dropped and we were never the same.

I just felt everything was a bit flat - our support were louder against Aberdeen and Dundee than they were on Saturday (and it felt like there were less there but that might not have been true). The team just didn't seem as up for it as they had been - it was pretty weird all round. 

The team line-up also had the hallmarks of a manager that had too much time to think about it over the international break. Individually, I suppose you can justify every change (KVV has been relatively poor in a wide role that he isn't suited to, the midfield has been crying out for something different and before Saturday, McGinley hasn't been too bad since Carrol's daft red card) - but adding all that together led to a weaker team and a departure from what has been working...

2 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

I thought for the first 10-15 minutes on Saturday we looked up for it. The game was end-to-end and we were putting some good passes together while progressing down the wings, a few dangerous crosses which on another day (perhaps with KVV on the park) would’ve had someone on the end of them.

Then Celtic scored, heads dropped and we were never the same.

Toby’s cross was landing on Watt’s head until KVV popped it over the bar

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

Toby’s cross was landing on Watt’s head until KVV popped it over the bar

I thought KVV hung in the air for ages, I thought he was missing it but he hung up there from about half 4.

It's not really worked out for any player who left us this summer, has it? Given how bad we were at points last season, it's not that surprising, but I didn't expect our departing players to have such a minimal effect on their new teams.

Gallagher has been struggling for a place in the Aberdeen team, even with Considine out long term. Long has barely kicked a baw at Crewe, likewise with Cole at Barnsley. Campbell hasn't got back in the Luton team after recovering from his injury. Unused sub seems to be Polworth's regular gig at Killie now. It seems like Dunne is spending a lot of time on the treatment table as usual and Hastie only got on for Partick on Friday to give the guy who scored a hat-trick a standing ovation.

21 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It's not really worked out for any player who left us this summer, has it? Given how bad we were at points last season, it's not that surprising, but I didn't expect our departing players to have such a minimal effect on their new teams.

Gallagher has been struggling for a place in the Aberdeen team, even with Considine out long term. Long has barely kicked a baw at Crewe, likewise with Cole at Barnsley. Campbell hasn't got back in the Luton team after recovering from his injury. Unused sub seems to be Polworth's regular gig at Killie now. It seems like Dunne is spending a lot of time on the treatment table as usual and Hastie only got on for Partick on Friday to give the guy who scored a hat-trick a standing ovation.

I don't even think Seedorf's got a club now. 

28 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

And I'm a bit disappointed to see Our Cedric is an unused sub at WBA these days too.  Still, he'll be earning a fair chunk of change there, so could be worse for him.

Get it up every one of them (except Campbell, Cole and Dunne).

22 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I don't even think Seedorf's got a club now. 

He had a trial with a Czech club but they didn't take him on. 

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/sherwin-seedorf-takes-in-czech-republic-trial-after-motherwell-exit/

As far as I'm aware this is where everyone has ended up:

Left the club:

• Allan Campbell (signed for Luton Town - undisclosed fee)
  • Aaron Chapman (signed for Gillingham)
  • Devante Cole (signed for Barnsley)
  • Findlay Cook (unattached)
  • Charles Dunne (signed for St Mirren)
  • Sam Foley (signed for Tranmere Rovers)
  • Declan Gallagher (signed for Aberdeen)
  • Paul Hale (signed for Cambuslang Rangers)
  • Yusuf Hussain (signed for Forfar Athletic)
  • Christopher Long (signed for Crewe Alexandra)
  • Ross MacIver (signed for Partick Thistle)
  • Matthew McDonald (signed for Airdrie)
  • Sam Muir (signed for Dumbarton)
  • Liam Polworth (signed for Kilmarnock)
  • Lewis Robertson (unattached)
  • Harry Robinson (signed for Clyde - contract mutually terminated 08/07/21 - relocated to Dubai)
  • Sherwin Seedorf (unattached)
  • Jamie Semple (signed for East Fife)
  • Cammy Williamson (signed for Falkirk)

Loans Expired:

• Jake Hastie (Rangers) - (signed for Partick Thistle - loan)
  • Liam Kelly (Queens Park Rangers) - (loan made permanent - signed for Motherwell)
  • Tyler Magloire (Blackburn Rovers)
  • Eddie Nolan (Crewe Alexandra) - (signed for Waterford)
  • Jordan Roberts (Heart of Midlothian) - (signed for Motherwell - loan)
  • Harry Smith (Northampton Town) - (signed for Leyton Orient)

Harry Smith seems to be doing quite well for Orient. Good for him.

Edited by capt_oats