Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 12/10/2021 at 11:00, Casagolda said:

I was prepared to give Lawless another chance at the start of the season.

Ultimately though, he was average squad filler at best and not worth the baggage or shite attitude he comes with. After last season, I think we’ve all had quite enough of that sort of thing. 

Mind Robinson having quite a few digs about the attitude of some of his players early doors last year and it ended up plaguing most of our season. Alexander seems to have done a good job of weeding out said poor characters so I’m not surprised he’s emptied Lawless as well. 

Better off without. Just like Big Dec, Polworth, Long etc.. 

Not necessarily wanting to rake over the Lawless coals but thinking about it, since he's been at the club Alexander's dealt with Gallagher and his "gun to his head" patter, Polworth chucking his toys out the pram and now Lawless.

He wasn't shy in playing Magloire ahead of Gallagher and bumped him out the starting XI after Aberdeen announced his pre-contract despite our request to hold off until the season had finished. Polworth went public about being told to train with the weans and from the look of things Lawless has basically just been told to take his money and f**k off.

I've said it before but Alexander doesn't seem to be here to take anyone's bullshit.

On reflection it's difficult to imagine any aspect of Lawless' general persona endearing him to Alexander tbh.

2 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Yes, Alexander seems to have an unusually low xW threshold. (Expected Wankers.)

Aye. I think it probably goes some way to clearing up whether or not Lawless was actually an Alexander signing or if it was one that had already been sorted out before he got the job.

I know a lot has been made about his staunchness and it's been reduced to him being binned because he's a *** which tbf is a position that absolutely gets my vote but given he had been bounced out the match day squad in the same way as Polworth was since August and Alexander has regularly made the point that it's about how you carry yourself through the week in training that gets you involved I kind of wonder whether it's a case of him just not being able to get away with the attitude he had at Thistle and Livi under Alexander (and Motherwell as a club).

Seeing Woolery rocking up to cryotherapy on a Wednesday afternoon in his IG stories and looking like he's been chiseled out of granite is quite a different look to Lawless' beardy wee hobbit getting caught on camera at Ibrox image.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. I think it probably goes some way to clearing up whether or not Lawless was actually an Alexander signing or if it was one that had already been sorted out before he got the job.

I know a lot has been made about his staunchness and it's been reduced to him being binned because he's a *** which tbf is a position that absolutely gets my vote but given he had been bounced out the match day squad in the same way as Polworth was since August and Alexander has regularly made the point that it's about how you carry yourself through the week in training that gets you involved I kind of wonder whether it's a case of him just not being able to get away with the attitude he had at Thistle and Livi under Alexander (and Motherwell as a club).

Seeing Woolery rocking up to cryotherapy on a Wednesday afternoon in his IG stories and looking like he's been chiseled out of granite is quite a different look to Lawless' beardy wee hobbit getting caught on camera at Ibrox image.

The cigars would be impairing his fitness

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I can't really explain why- maybe it's because he never played for them- but something about Lawless' "I'm pure staunch I am" act just struck me as really pathetic, in a way that someone like Scott McDonald's support for Celtic never really was. 

100% - I think the difference was that McDonald always played like he cared about the club, regardless of who he supported. There's something pathetic about a player loudly celebrating other team's achievements all over social while simultaneously ignoring their own club, especially when they are in piss poor form, or not even in the squad.

It reminds me of Oli McBurnie playing to the staunch mob on twitter early this year while failing to keep his place in what was possibly the worst squad in the EPL era. Just sad behaviour.

On 13/10/2021 at 13:23, Gallus Numpty said:

I get that's the way things are these days, but I honestly couldn't care less if I was sat beside any opposition fan who was just there to support their team, same as me. I do miss the old first division days when you could just stand anywhere you like and have a bit of banter with the visiting fans as you swapped ends at half time.

Nope, old enough to remember being surrounded by them at every home game . Dont want them anywhere near me. Their behaviour in the main stand sat next to our supoort  lead to them getting binned from there which proves they cannae be trusted to behave . If they turn up in our end get them to f**k.

37 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Nope, old enough to remember being surrounded by them at every home game . Dont want them anywhere near me. Their behaviour in the main stand sat next to our supoort  lead to them getting binned from there which proves they cannae be trusted to behave . If they turn up in our end get them to f**k.

As I said, I couldn't care less if they're just there to support their team. What you describe is not that.

Guest superward

Aye there's a difference between the odd person sat in the home end who's an away fan (usually fine) and sitting beside an away section (usually not fine). I say that as someone who sits in the main stand who is very pleased they don't get allocated there anymore.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I can't really explain why- maybe it's because he never played for them- but something about Lawless' "I'm pure staunch I am" act just struck me as really pathetic, in a way that someone like Scott McDonald's support for Celtic never really was. 

Scott McDonald's the most important Motherwell signing of the past 20 years and I will die on that hill. Regardless of his whole lifelong Celtic fan trope he dragged us out of being relegated on multiple occasions. 

Lawless having a shite attitude as well as being shite at football means he can very much get binned. I suspect the bold Grezza wasn't entirely behind his signing but we were just bringing in bodies in January. 

As for Woolery. I didnae realise anyone could be that fucking stacked. Guy is built like a brick shithouse. 

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Scott McDonald's the most important Motherwell signing of the past 20 years and I will die on that hill. Regardless of his whole lifelong Celtic fan trope he dragged us out of being relegated on multiple occasions. 

McDonald was never that big a celtic fan before he signed for them.

When he did interviews about helicopter sunday it was all about how half of his family were celebrating and the other half were in tears. Then he was also in a huff because we didn't let him sign for Rangers.

I don't really believe he strongly supports Celtic either, but it got him in the media which is what matters to him. He is a self centred wee p***k who scores goals and I loved him for it.

I had a nose around our attendances the other week

Given we announced that we have 5,226 ST holders as at September 3rd it seems clear we report actual attendance unlike Aberdeen who confirmed they're one of *those* teams who report tickets issued.

So far our home attendances reported have been:

01/08/21 - Hibs - 5,320* (* - Covid restrictions still in place)
28/08/21 - Dundee - 4,998
11/09/21 - Aberdeen - 5,623
25/09/21 - Ross County - 4,477

Avg: 5,029

Compared with the previous season with attendances (in Dundee's case before they were relegated):

Hibs:
31/08/19 - 5,964
25/01/20 - 5,767

Avg: 5,865

Dundee:
03/11/18 - 4,129
27/04/19 - 3,662

Avg: 3,895

Aberdeen:
19/10/19 - 5,640
13/03/20 - match cancelled

Ross County:
21/09/19 - 4,620
04/03/20 - 3,191

Avg: 3,905

Point of all that is to say that we haven't actually seen much (any) real drop off in attendance, which I guess would have been the major concern after a year of folk not going to the fitba (along with the general worry about the risk of crowds and the 'vid).

4 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Certainly if you were looking for a 21st century candidate for the Hall of Fame - McDonald should arguably have been very near the head of the queue. I can also guarantee that there isn't a player that would give less of a f**k about it - he would probably grudgingly acknowledge it 3 weeks later, with a 6 word tweet, written by someone else. 

Been genuinely surprised a few times when I’ve heard our attendance over the tannoy this season, definitely feels like there’s more people in.

Much better in terms of atmosphere and attendance compared to how I remember it being 5-6 years ago, could be wrong, but think we even had the odd attendance under 3k (for a league game) back then.

41 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Just don't mention that double he scored, he'll be be quite happy.

Yep - oddly, the thing he is most famous for would be f**k-all to do with him getting into the HoF- dragging some shite 'Well teams to safety would get him that. Personally, I would have him in there just for his performance in midfield at Ibrox in the playoff 1st leg.