Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

As an aside, I think most of us half-expected (hoped) Lawless would maybe be away during the last window but either way this kind of leans into the point Alexander seemed to be making back in January when he was talking about not wanting to carry a large squad or have players around the squad who either weren't going to be playing or didn't really want to be at the club (I forget exactly which interview it was).

The fact that we've eventually got around to mutual-ing him feels like a good decision and one that was somewhat inevitable regardless of his patter on Twitter. Disappearing from the squad for a month and a half says something if you're not injured.

That leaves us with 6 forwards for 3 positions and given Grimmy seems to have been re-purposed as a midfielder we've now got 8 defenders for 4 positions.

Midfield still seems a bit messy and the obvious question marks there are Parker (whose deal is up in January) and Crawford.

I've stuck KVV left because that's where he's been playing (personally I say stick him through the middle) and Bevis back-up RB as Grimshaw seems to be used more as a midfielder and also I just wanted the symmetry of 2 players for each position across the back 4.

As it stands we've a first team squad of 26...the line through the summer was that we were looking at running with a few extra bodies to cover potential Covid issues. IMO a normal size squad would be around 24 so that sounds about right.

2062424044_ScreenShot2021-10-11at23_19_25.thumb.png.9d8218281f1d4964b0d037af967e17ab.png

13 hours ago, capt_oats said:

As @ropy says he could sign for another club operating under a different schedule where a window is open or whatever but he can't sign for another club in the UK.

Shame - I hear that Linfield are interested in his credentials..

Looking at that graphic, I’m confident the defence will be able to handle the inevitable suspensions that are coming.

Slattery is carrying the midfield in terms of passing and creativity. Hopefully Goss is a lot better than we remembered from his time in deepest darkest Perth. I still think central midfield is what we want to concentrate on for the January window.

It’s a strong squad overall that should put in a challenge for the last top 6 place but I do worry if certain key players get injured/suspended.

If KVV or Tony get injured then can Shields or Justin step up? If Slattery gets injured then will we bypass the midfield even more? If Kelly gets injured then can old man Fox step up?

Every squad will have weaknesses and rely on a bit of luck with injuries but our better players are what separate us from the shite at the bottom of the league.

Don't think we'll see more than 1 or 2 signings in January, and you'd expect a decent midfield addition would be the priority based on the recruitment approach in the summer. Hopefully that will free up Crawford to move (loan or transfer) and possibly a loan for Cornelius too. A renewal for Parker seems, eh, unlikely...

Unless cover is needed for a long term injury, I think the squad will stay fairly settled through January now.

I noticed someone on Steelmen suggesting that they felt Lawless "didn't get much of a chance" under Alexander. That seems a pretty weird take IMO given the way Alexander treated the LC.

It's a fair point to say that he was limited by injury last season but in terms of this season he started 4 of our 5 league cup games (including the Airdrie and Dundee debacles).

It felt (to me at least) that those games were precisely "a chance" being given.

Looking at his record this season it seems like the Dundee LC game was the point at which Alexander decided the bold Steven wasn't for him.

1602356509_ScreenShot2021-10-12at10_23_48.thumb.png.88980e0ecd14918092906d555a50d4d2.png

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I noticed someone on Steelmen suggesting that they felt Lawless "didn't get much of a chance" under Alexander. That seems a pretty weird take IMO given the way Alexander treated the LC.

When he came in he ended up injured, then when he got in he looked unfit so I hoped he'd maybe catch up this season. However having been at the league cup group stage games I can confirm that he's suffering from a serious case of being fucking shite at football. 

17 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

When he came in he ended up injured, then when he got in he looked unfit so I hoped he'd maybe catch up this season. However having been at the league cup group stage games I can confirm that he's suffering from a serious case of being fucking shite at football. 

He must be up there with Blyth in terms of level of dislike relative to his contribution.

I was prepared to give Lawless another chance at the start of the season.

Ultimately though, he was average squad filler at best and not worth the baggage or shite attitude he comes with. After last season, I think we’ve all had quite enough of that sort of thing. 

Mind Robinson having quite a few digs about the attitude of some of his players early doors last year and it ended up plaguing most of our season. Alexander seems to have done a good job of weeding out said poor characters so I’m not surprised he’s emptied Lawless as well. 

Better off without. Just like Big Dec, Polworth, Long etc.. 

The club are keeping this week’s attendance under 10,000.  Will this be a specific reduction of Celtic numbers or will they spread this ‘constraint’ across all 4 stands?

These games don’t usually breach the 10k mark, do they?

The club are keeping this week’s attendance under 10,000.  Will this be a specific reduction of Celtic numbers or will they spread this ‘constraint’ across all 4 stands?
These games don’t usually breach the 10k mark, do they?

Seeing that there’s supposedly only around 150 tickets left for the home end according to the DR.

5,000 ST holders, 3,000 away fans, so have we sold 1,750 on top of that or have a lot of Celtic fans invested £30 to sit in the home end.

16 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Seeing that there’s supposedly only around 150 tickets left for the home end according to the DR.

5,000 ST holders, 3,000 away fans, so have we sold 1,750 on top of that or have a lot of Celtic fans invested £30 to sit in the home end.

I hear we have reduced the allocation to away fans for this game. More for the home fans (Celtic fans in amongst the Well fans again). 

Have we ever came close to selling out our end for a Celtic home game at any point in the last 10 years? I can't think of any reason for it other than Celtic fans buying up home end tickets.

I hope I'm wrong as I've bought tickets for the O'donnell Stand stand an cannot be arsed sitting amongst a load of Celtic fans.

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

Aye, they'll only sell now if you have a customer ref and have purchased tickets directly from the club in the last 3 years.

Don't know how they get round it with the measures the club put in place, but you can guarantee there are always a good number of them in the home end. You can spot them a mile away, trying to blend in.

When any sit near me I like to try and engage them in conversation about us and watch them squirm and stammer when they've not got a fucking clue. Then I call them out as the horrible, home end infiltrating b*****ds that they are. If they persist in trying to keep up the pretence its also good to try and goad them into joining a good old bounce if we score.

Also seen many a literal kicking out in the past from some of the less hospitable members our support. Only themselves to blame if it happens, tbh.

A lot of 'Well fans usually stay away when the two Glasgow mobs are in town, mainly because they can't be arsed with the aggro they bring, and it will more often than not be televised. Hopefully the larger home support is actually just due to it being a Saturday at 3pm.