Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I know international breaks are when everyone normally reminisces about the play-off and has a right good laugh at scudding Rangers 6 (SIX) - 1 on aggregate but I've found myself falling down a 15/16 season rabbit-hole on YouTube.

That was a weird season eh?

Bara's emptied after 8 league games and having been pumped out the LC at Cappielow, McGhee comes in we go on two absolutely wild runs of form and end up Top 6. Moult & McDonald, peak Marvin Johnson but with added Louis Laing, Wes Fletcher, Kieran Kennedy and Theo Robinson. Not to mention a 6-0 at Tynecastle and a 7-0 live on national TV at Parkhead...which is the point at which this excellent thread starts.

It kind of feels like this season's kind of been forgotten about given how it ended then the shitshow that followed in 16/17 and the general animosity towards McGhee.

Anyway we beat Celtic at Parkhead...that's a laugh.

We also published really long highlights...

Spoiler

Also, why not? Might as well...

Edited by capt_oats

30 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Ramsey over Patterson, for me. He looks class, and huge.

Aye - I liked Ramsey when he played against us - looked a player, dived all over the place, took pelters from the East Stand and gave it back. Liked his style.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I know international breaks are when everyone normally reminisces about the play-off and has a right good laugh at scudding Rangers 6 (SIX) - 1 on aggregate but I've found myself falling down a 15/16 season rabbit-hole on YouTube.

Bara's emptied after 8 league games and having been pumped out the LC at Cappielow, McGhee comes in we go on two absolutely wild runs of form and end up Top 6. Moult & McDonald, peak Marvin Johnson but with added Louis Laing, Wes Fletcher, Kieran Kennedy and Theo Robinson. Not to mention a 6-0 at Tynecastle and a 7-0 live on national TV at Parkhead...which is the point at which this excellent thread starts.

It kind of feels like this season's kind of been forgotten about given how it ended then the shitshow that followed in 16/17 and the general animosity towards McGhee.

Hide contents

That’s tomorrow gone 

19 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I loved the 15/16 season. Probably showing my age here but it was one of the first where I started going with my pals and getting a drink before/afterwards, and pretty much cemented Moult, McDonald and Ainsworth as legends in my eyes.

Showing your age off to be a young c*nt !??

5 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Every time I see Bara on the telly before an international game I feel a wee bit proud of him. Seems like an exceptionally sound c**t. And he loves a stegosaurus.

Exactly how I feel about him. Always want him to do well.

Felt the same as he did the lap of honour with the players after the play off 2nd leg. I mean, we were shite for the most part under him, but no hard feelings whatsoever. And those two games…..

11 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Reveal hidden contents

I enjoyed the 15/16 season but the following season was a shocker, arguably worse than the 14/15 season. When you think where we are now, it sounds mad that Mark Mcghee was basically just signing players because he liked the sound of their name (Luka Belic anyone?). I've always liked Mcghee because of his first ever season with us but he really does himself no favours. He came back a bit of a laughing stock but had a chance to rebuild his reputation after taking over from Baraclough and making us look like a team again. He then went full Mark Mcghee where a mixture of arrogance / laziness and *that* meltdown at Aberdeen fucked it for him. I could be wrong but I don't think he's been heard from since?

10 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I loved the 15/16 season. Probably showing my age here but it was one of the first where I started going with my pals and getting a drink before/afterwards, and pretty much cemented Moult, McDonald and Ainsworth as legends in my eyes.

Aye. It just feels like a proper curate's egg of a season. Which is probably why I fell down this particular rabbit-hole.

We weren't actually "good" enough for it to be memorable...knocked out both cup competitions early, extremely mid-table but we also went unbeaten through December (unusual for us) and went 5 wins on the bounce in a run of only 2 losses in 9 (the 1-2 against Celtic at Fir Park was down to a Ripley mistake anaw).

The team itself had modern icons...Hammell, Lasley, McDonald and Pearson to an extent with McFadden around the fringes plus Moult. A goalkeeper who was actually alright but has been eclipsed by Randolph before him and Carson, Gillespie and Kelly since then you also had #YoungMotherwell winning the Youth Cup.

We were also bad enough to see Baraclough emptied and lose 6-0 at Tynecastle (Hammell at right back) and 7-0 at Parkhead but also not bad enough to end up in any relegation bother. By the time the final fixture rolled around we couldn't finish any higher or lower than 5th, which may have accounted for the players pitching up at Parkhead with their flip-flops on and suitcases in hand.

There's also total "that guy" elements to the squad...Morgaro Gomis made 11 appearances for us as did Theo Robinson.

It's never going to be anyone's favourite season because I suppose not much actually happened. Ultimately if you talk about Motherwell teams of the 10s then it's McCall and Robinson's versions people will remember and as @Ron Aldo says McGhee went full McGhee the season after so this is October - May of him actually doing a very good job before completely blowing it up by being Mark McGhee.

It's probably a season that Pitchfork would retrospectively upgrade years later but it's still Incesticide rather than Nevermind or In Utero, Tweez rather than Spiderland, Westing (By Musket and Sextant) rather than Slanted and Enchanted or Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, The Whitey Album rather than Daydream Nation or Goo....I'll stop there. You get my drift.

A weird curio that people have kind of overlooked on account of stuff that happened before and after.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I could be wrong but I don't think he's been heard from since?

He's an agent with WSM these days.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/former-celtic-aberdeen-and-motherwell-favourite-mark-mcghee-takes-new-career-path-away-dugout-3001562

Edited by Gallus Numpty

28 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Fwiw I'm of the opinion that Wowee Zowee is Pavement's best album.

Slanted for me.

Actually, Slanted is more my favourite Pavement album. "Best" I'm a bit more open minded about.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. It just feels like a proper curate's egg of a season. Which is probably why I fell down this particular rabbit-hole.

We weren't actually "good" enough for it to be memorable...knocked out both cup competitions early, extremely mid-table but we also went unbeaten through December (unusual for us) and went 5 wins on the bounce in a run of only 2 losses in 9 (the 1-2 against Celtic at Fir Park was down to a Ripley mistake anaw).

The team itself had modern icons...Hammell, Lasley, McDonald and Pearson to an extent with McFadden around the fringes plus Moult. A goalkeeper who was actually alright but has been eclipsed by Randolph before him and Carson, Gillespie and Kelly since then you also had #YoungMotherwell winning the Youth Cup.

We were also bad enough to see Baraclough emptied and lose 6-0 at Tynecastle (Hammell at right back) and 7-0 at Parkhead but also not bad enough to end up in any relegation bother. By the time the final fixture rolled around we couldn't finish any higher or lower than 5th, which may have accounted for the players pitching up at Parkhead with their flip-flops on and suitcases in hand.

There's also total "that guy" elements to the squad...Morgaro Gomis made 11 appearances for us as did Theo Robinson.

It's never going to be anyone's favourite season because I suppose not much actually happened. Ultimately if you talk about Motherwell teams of the 10s then it's McCall and Robinson's versions people will remember and as @Ron Aldo says McGhee went full McGhee the season after so this is October - May of him actually doing a very good job before completely blowing it up by being Mark McGhee.

It's probably a season that Pitchfork would retrospectively upgrade years later but it's still Incesticide rather than Nevermind or In Utero, Tweez rather than Spiderland, Westing (By Musket and Sextant) rather than Slanted and Enchanted or Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, The Whitey Album rather than Daydream Nation or Goo....I'll stop there. You get my drift.

A weird curio that people have kind of overlooked on account of stuff that happened before and after.

Not often I’ve seen Motherwell seasons compared to classic underground/alternative albums but I’m all for it. 

It was no “in on the killtaker” or “Surfer Rosa” but maybe a “No Pocky for Kitty” or “Bug”…..

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Slanted for me.

Actually, Slanted is more my favourite Pavement album. "Best" I'm a bit more open minded about.

Tbh they barely put a foot wrong, the first three are all near perfect imo. Slanted, very much the 17/18 Thunderdome of albums.