Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

That sounds entirely feasible. 

Where it's interesting in our case is that we're one of the teams with lower shots numbers which suggests that we're more focused on creating higher quality chances rather than, as you say, just having digs at goal from wherever.

FWIW

Shots.png.f2c4e6d66f1cb7f84f04d4d34e07b6a0.png

I’m just going to stick it here that I can’t believe there’s any debate over whether O’Donnell should start for Scotland tomorrow. Patterson might turn out to be the greatest right-back in footballing history, but he certainly isn’t at the moment. Neither is SOD of course but surely his recent (Scotland) performances warrant him keeping his place? Besides, Patterson was shite against Moldova. 

I’d put it in the match thread but everyone is absolutely mental in there. 

17 minutes ago, Swami said:

I’m just going to stick it here that I can’t believe there’s any debate over whether O’Donnell should start for Scotland tomorrow. Patterson might turn out to be the greatest right-back in footballing history, but he certainly isn’t at the moment. Neither is SOD of course but surely his recent (Scotland) performances warrant him keeping his place? Besides, Patterson was shite against Moldova. 

I’d put it in the match thread but everyone is absolutely mental in there. 

I posted similar to this a while back pointing out that the only reason anyone gives a f**k is because he plays for Rangers. If he had played 5 games for St Mirren/Livingston/Dundee Utd nobody would give a toss about him getting picked or not and that SOD merits being first pick right now but gets criticism for everything.

Obviously it was met with iTs NoTHinG tO DO wItH PLaYiNg fOR mOtHErWelL responses. Which is, of course, bollocks.

FWIW I hope one of either Patterson or Ramsay kicks on and becomes a total PLER because we need a long term option there. But as it stands if Patterson warms the bench outside of games in the cup against diddy teams I don't think anyone can seriously say he's deserving of starting every game for Scotland.

25 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

But as it stands if Patterson warms the bench outside of games in the cup against diddy teams I don't think anyone can seriously say he's deserving of starting every game for Scotland.

Tbf I doubt anyone would argue with putting Billy Gilmour in the side ahead of, say, Kenny McLean, when he was struggling for games for Chelsea.

Patterson v O'Donnell is similar in the terms of the young player isn't playing, but it's fairly inevitable he will be a regular in the next 2/3 years and will more than surpass O'Donnell, while O'Donnell is the proven trusted option.

FWIW I'd have O'Donnell starting any game that matters just now as Patterson isn't a great defender and we don't have the players to cover that weakness yet.

The orcs will be using the "if he's good enough to get on the bench for us ....." rant. I get in the current starting lineup, on paper O'Donnell is perhaps the weakest link but based on performances I think there have been a few playing at bigger clubs and a higher level who have fallen short more often. I do think McTominay was briefed to offer more cover to him than certainly is required of Robertson/Tierney and that could be argued is extra burden on the midfield at times.

Granted Patterson is behind Tavenier in pecking order at Ibrox and big shoes to fill, not only because he's captain but his assists and dead ball stuff. I think his first team appearances are 20 in all competitions (can't say how many he started but there must be a few subs in there too). Happy to see him duel with Ramsay ifor the spot n the years ahead

O'Donnell won't be Declan'd for a while yet.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Obviously it was met with iTs NoTHinG tO DO wItH PLaYiNg fOR mOtHErWelL responses. Which is, of course, bollocks..

I've mentioned this before but I think dismissing any criticism of O'Donnell as some slight against Motherwell is a fairly weak argument. Gallagher didn't receive the same criticism and was widely praised for his performances when he was in the Scotland side while playing for Motherwell.

I'm not using that as a point to promote Patterson ahead of O'Donnell, just find it odd that somehow people think O'Donnell only gets criticised because he plays for Motherwell...

27 minutes ago, AJF said:

I've mentioned this before but I think dismissing any criticism of O'Donnell as some slight against Motherwell is a fairly weak argument. Gallagher didn't receive the same criticism and was widely praised for his performances when he was in the Scotland side while playing for Motherwell.

I'm not using that as a point to promote Patterson ahead of O'Donnell, just find it odd that somehow people think O'Donnell only gets criticised because he plays for Motherwell...

Well it's not down to performances for Scotland.  If it was then over the last two years there are about pretty much every player not called Gilmour that should be ahead of him in the chopping board. 

We're about to play a team that in the last 3 games has one player manage to shut down our whole left side in the last 3 meeting - one player shutting down our two best players.  But absolutely nothing said about needing a change... 

32 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Well it's not down to performances for Scotland.  If it was then over the last two years there are about pretty much every player not called Gilmour that should be ahead of him in the chopping board. 

We're about to play a team that in the last 3 games has one player manage to shut down our whole left side in the last 3 meeting - one player shutting down our two best players.  But absolutely nothing said about needing a change... 

I absolutely agree that there are others that have underperformed - they've also received criticism in the relevant match threads. I'm also not saying O'Donnell should be dropped either.

I just don't buy into the theory that O'Donnell is only criticised due to who he plays for. (Most) Football fans are able to put club rivalry aside when we support Scotland, I don't imagine there being many with a vandetta against Motherwell that would see them criticise O'Donnell unjustly.

Edited by AJF

43 minutes ago, AJF said:

I absolutely agree that there are others that have underperformed - they've also received criticism in the relevant match threads. I'm also not saying O'Donnell should be dropped either.

I just don't buy into the theory that O'Donnell is only criticised due to who he plays for. (Most) Football fans are able to put club rivalry aside when we support Scotland, I don't imagine there being many with a vandetta against Motherwell that would see them criticise O'Donnell unjustly.

No one has a vandetta against Motherwell, many have an unhealthy dislike of O’Donnell which would be mitigated if he played for someone else.

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

No one has a vandetta against Motherwell, many have an unhealthy dislike of O’Donnell which would be mitigated if he played for someone else.

If there is no vandetta against Motherwell, then why would anyone's disliking of him be mitigated if he joined another club?

Additionally, criticising a player is different from disliking them.

Edit to add: Why is there an auto correct filter on the site that changes v e n d e t t a with an E to vandetta with an A? 🤣

Edited by AJF

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

If there is no vandetta against Motherwell, then why would anyone's disliking of him be mitigated if he joined another club?

Additionally, criticising a player is different from disliking them.

It is nothing specific to Motherwell, if he played for St Mirren, Morton or Livingston he would get the same focus.