Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Grezza saying that big Bev is back training today but our handsome Norwegian will miss out.
Could be total nonsense going by his previous press conferences but I guess we’ll find out tomorrow. Shame big Sol’s first few weeks have been disrupted a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, today was shite.

The question is though, was that just a bad day at the office, or more of an indication of where we're actually at?

I'll err on the side of caution and put it down to a collective off day. Well beaten on the day by a team with no shortage of quality in their ranks.

Man for man, on our day, I don't think we're too far off Hearts, but there is a wee gap. Would absolutely love a Banigime in our ranks, guy looks class and will make them a fair coin down the line.

Possibly a wee reality check after a stellar start and some folk getting their hopes up, but imo Hearts will be challenging for top 4, while we will be in the mix with a few others for a top 6 berth.

From where we were at in the league cup games, I'm absolutely fine with that. If we could throw in a decent run in the Scottish Cup I'd be delighted. 

Well, today was shite.
The question is though, was that just a bad day at the office, or more of an indication of where we're actually at?
I'll err on the side of caution and put it down to a collective off day. Well beaten on the day by a team with no shortage of quality in their ranks.
Man for man, on our day, I don't think we're too far off Hearts, but there is a wee gap. Would absolutely love a Banigime in our ranks, guy looks class and will make them a fair coin down the line.
Possibly a wee reality check after a stellar start and some folk getting their hopes up, but imo Hearts will be challenging for top 4, while we will be in the mix with a few others for a top 6 berth.
From where we were at in the league cup games, I'm absolutely fine with that. If we could throw in a decent run in the Scottish Cup I'd be delighted. 

As I said in the match thread, ironically today was the day where we had more chances than the opposition and had more of the ball than we’ve had in recent games. Granted Hearts were two up early doors and could have possibly upped a gear.

a2b68bfbee64484c83066900e719dfdd.jpg

I don't think there is any need to over react to today. If you give away a daft penalty in the 2nd minute against a team with confidence and a decent bit of quality - it's a mountain to climb. I think basically our most reliable player had a bit of an off day, which has been really rare but meant that we had no real chance to get back.

I think we are competitive this season, our squad is so much better than it has been of late and we've had one of our best starts to the league in years and better 'Well teams than this have taken bigger doings at Tynecastle over the years.

I thought midfield was tough today and highlighted that we haven't quite got that sorted in the way that I think we have with defence and up front. Talking of upfront, I'm coming to the opinion that KVV is a bit wasted in that wider role. I get the Tony Watt has 100% earned the right to get that central role that all strikers want but I think he is more suited to playing the wide role than the bold Kevin and that might be a tough decision for GA going forward.

Edited by Swello

30 minutes ago, Swello said:

Talking of upfront, I'm coming to the opinion that KVV is a bit wasted in that wider role. I get the Tony Watt has 100% earned the right to get that central role that all strikers want but I think he is more suited to playing the wide role than the bold Kevin and that might be a tough decision for GA going forward.

i think they need to work out when to swap it over or be comfortable switching it themselves on the fly.

For me Watt was wasted when he was only on the wing last season after Devante secured the striker role. So i think we need to keep him interested by letting him have minutes in the middle.

Or even Van Veen being encouraged to just come inside when he wants to.

Oh and get Jake Carroll back in the team. Another game of woeful freekicks. Carroll is too much of an upgrade on the dead ball to leave him out for solid but not spectacular McGinley.

18 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Honestly, I didn’t think yesterday was vastly different to what’s went before it. 

I mean we could have taken something from yesterday’s game, just as easily as we could of lost to Ross County and Rangers. 

We gave away two daft goals early doors and didn’t take some good chances when they came our way. The antithesis of what we’ve been doing during our recent good spell that has seen several tight games swing in our favour. 

I didn’t think we were that bad but a few key players definitely had an off day. Kelly looked culpable for the first two goals, Ojala had an uncharacteristically shaky start and KVV looked fairly sluggish throughout. 

Looking at our squad, the midfield is still the only real area of concern for me. Slattery cut a frustrated figure yesterday and I’m not convinced long term we can carry O’Hara and Grimshaw in the same midfield. 

Other than that, looking at the start of the season as a whole it’s been more than decent. We’ve been competitive in every game, creating plenty of chances, scoring goals and(until yesterday) pretty solid defensively. Sort out the balance of the midfield, get Carroll back on set pieces and I’m sure we’ll be absolutely fine. 

10 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Honestly, I didn’t think yesterday was vastly different to what’s went before it. 

I mean we could have taken something from yesterday’s game, just as easily as we could of lost to Ross County and Rangers. 

We gave away two daft goals early doors and didn’t take some good chances when they came our way. The antithesis of what we’ve been doing during our recent good spell that has seen several tight games swing in our favour. 

I didn’t think we were that bad but a few key players definitely had an off day. Kelly looked culpable for the first two goals, Ojala had an uncharacteristically shaky start and KVV looked fairly sluggish throughout. 

Looking at our squad, the midfield is still the only real area of concern for me. Slattery cut a frustrated figure yesterday and I’m not convinced long term we can carry O’Hara and Grimshaw in the same midfield. 

Other than that, looking at the start of the season as a whole it’s been more than decent. We’ve been competitive in every game, creating plenty of chances, scoring goals and(until yesterday) pretty solid defensively. Sort out the balance of the midfield, get Carroll back on set pieces and I’m sure we’ll be absolutely fine. 

Agree, if Kelly had made the same two mistakes in any previous game we would have lost it.  Take those incidents out and I can remember a first half save from distance and a second half push round the post.  We had Woollery, Watt and O’Donnell with three poor finishes that could have changed the match for us.  So performance was to par, the result not so.

20 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I’m not convinced long term we can carry O’Hara and Grimshaw in the same midfield. 

Very much this. O'Hara looked like an all action midfielder who took games by the scruff of the neck for a while pre-covid but looks like a limited action midfielder who doesn't really offer that much. Grimshaw is absolutely commendable in that he'll run himself into the ground every week but he's not very good at the whole playing football bit of being in the team. I don't think we can afford to have them both in there. Wouldn't mind seeing Donnelly get more game time and perhaps Goss can offer something going forward. 

Yeah, chasing a game with O’Hara and Grimmy in the midfield was always going to be a tough ask. What they do, they do quite well but neither are exactly a creative force.
I thought big Bevis had a really solid game yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk