Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

33 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I went in to collect my ticket not long ago, was met with a kind of, FS what you doing here vibe, some tickets might not be allocated yet as they were off yesterday.

I got similar when I strolled in at 9:01am after doing the school run... :lol: 

Surely folk wouldn't have shelled out £40+ on a product which they couldn't see?  All that was showing was a computerised print of the top. 

Surely...

I'm fairly certain the club shop/club itself wouldn't have been too chuffed at someone trying to make money off Motherwell replica kits.  Possible they've had a word and it's been pulled.

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

Surely folk wouldn't have shelled out £40+ on a product which they couldn't see?  All that was showing was a computerised print of the top. 

Surely...

I'm fairly certain the club shop/club itself wouldn't have been too chuffed at someone trying to make money off Motherwell replica kits.  Possible they've had a word and it's been pulled.

The whole thing seemed sketchy as f**k from the get go tbh. An account just pops up and says "Oh hai guyz...I'm going to start making retro Motherwell shirts. Show me the money."

Given how *extremely online* the club are I was quite surprised that the account lasted as long as it did.

I say that as someone who's chanced it and bought 2 bootleg shirts in the past. Granted they ended up coming from China or wherever but not on the promise of some absolute fucking random on Twitter.

13 minutes ago, Desp said:
Surely...

Aye, definitely seemed too good to be true, was following the page and am pretty sure either today or yesterday was the last day to order so it seems pre-planned to me.

If the boy was genuine, don’t think he’d of got away with creating the replicas for long, there’s a reason fake ones don’t look very good.

Edited by ZX1886

39 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The whole thing seemed sketchy as f**k from the get go tbh. An account just pops up and says "Oh hai guyz...I'm going to start making retro Motherwell shirts. Show me the money."

Given how *extremely online* the club are I was quite surprised that the account lasted as long as it did.

I say that as someone who's chanced it and bought 2 bootleg shirts in the past. Granted they ended up coming from China or wherever but not on the promise of some absolute fucking random on Twitter.

Can't find the post on here now but it was definitely the same one. You have to respect the brass neck of I might make these retro kits if you all give me £40 for something which I don't currently have

The hooky jersey market is some laugh though. A Hibee pal of mine got Australia in the world cup sweepstake a few years back so ordered a Jamie Maclaren jersey from one of these sites only to get a letter through the door a few weeks later saying it had been seized by customs as counterfeit goods and to contact them if he wished to appeal. 😅

Or this could happen:

Edited by well fan for life

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

Can't find the post on here now but it was definitely the same one. You have to respect the brass neck of "I might make these retro kits if you all give me £40 for something which I don't currently have. 

The hooky jersey market is some laugh though. A Hibee pal of mine got Australia in the world cup sweepstake a few years back so ordered a Jamie Maclaren jersey from one of these sites only to get a letter through the door a few weeks later saying it had been seized by customs as counterfeit goods and to contact them if he wished to appeal. 😅

Or this could happen:

I think there is a level of safety going for the ancient/vintage kits, which were basically an amber jersey with a claret hoop - but there is probably still some commercial value in the retro stuff, especially as clubs like ours "re-imagine" them all the time (and the companies that made them as still in the business of making strips today)

1 minute ago, Swello said:

I think there is a level of safety going for the ancient/vintage kits, which were basically an amber jersey with a claret hoop - but there is probably still some commercial value in the retro stuff, especially as clubs like ours "re-imagine" them all the time (and the companies that made them as still in the business of making strips today)

I got carried away on eBay last year when an original 94 away jersey popped up in great condition & my size. Had been looking for one for yeeeeeears. 

However I wouldn't be against the club embracing it as an earner. 

Or, and I know they dip in here, just give us the highlighter yellow Dortmund style away kit next season. It's what we all want ffs. 

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

I got carried away on eBay last year when an original 94 away jersey popped up in great condition & my size. Had been looking for one for yeeeeeears. 

However I wouldn't be against the club embracing it as an earner. 

Or, and I know they dip in here, just give us the highlighter yellow Dortmund style away kit next season. It's what we all want ffs. 

I got the 94 away one on Ebay about 6/7 years ago for £25.  Will assume it was reserve jersey of the likes, had the no.3 on the back.  Wore to a couple of games, but I retired it after wearing it to the 2018 Cup Final.  

I actually gave it away to a mate who's got a proper 'Well shirt collection a few months back.  If I'd known they were going for a fortune on Ebay... :lol:

24 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Can't find the post on here now but it was definitely the same one. You have to respect the brass neck of I might make these retro kits if you all give me £40 for something which I don't currently have

Or this could happen:

Reveal hidden contents

The bootleg Motherwell ones I got were from Aztec Retro which AFAIK ended up shutting down because of "issues". When you're cutting about repro'ing actual brand logos and the like in a way you can only respect the hustle.

I ended up getting the Umbro '86-'87 home shirt and the Adidas '80-'82. Both came from different company names but were clearly the same folk they'd just evidently had to have a "rebrand". Aztec Retro for the Umbro one in 2019 and Retro Shirt City for the Adidas one in 2016

The quality on those was surprisingly decent and while their Trustpilot ranking is through the floor now at the time I bought the Motherwell ones they were worth taking a chance on.

An absolute random appearing on Twitter seems less so.

I was absolutely seething to see that there was a Dortmund style away shirt on sale at one of Classic Shirts pop ups in Glasgow pre-pandemic and I hadn't bothered my arse going along. That one and the 94 away are the two iconic shirts I don't have.

Edited by capt_oats

I bought a long sleeve '94 away about 10-12 years ago off eBay, never even looked into where it was coming from when I ordered...came to me from Bulgaria...?!

Still looked and fitted absolutely perfectly...still got it and still bring it out now and then...certainly my favourite away shirt we've had in my time supporting 'Well.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

I was absolutely seething to see that there was a Dortmund style away shirt on sale at one of Classic Shirts pop ups in Glasgow pre-pandemic and I hadn't bothered my arse going along.

If it was the one in Sneaker Cafe you didn't miss too much. The guy was looking for like £70 for a training jersey from about 2009. 

Was going to buy a classic Zerouali 0 dons top for my pals birthday but I was concerned I'd wake up in an ice bath missing internal organs if I'd taken it to the till. 

7 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I bought a long sleeve '94 away about 10-12 years ago off eBay, never even looked into where it was coming from when I ordered...came to me from Bulgaria...?!

Still looked and fitted absolutely perfectly...still got it and still bring it out now and then...certainly my favourite away shirt we've had in my time supporting 'Well.

The few that are on ebay at the moment all seem to come from Austria or Ukraine...