Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The way Slattery uses his body is straight out the premier league handbook, you see players use there bodies like that all the time down there, up here, not so much. 

couple of big games coming up which will be a good gauge of where we are. Ross county at home is one of those games you look at should be winning so we now need to go and do that. Hearts away the following week will be a real test, 4 points from the next two games would be very very good. Especially with Celtic the following week.

Not suggesting for one second we are in with a shout but i'm sure I seen Joel sked on twitter saying Scotland have a guaranteed group stage spot for the Europa league next season.

Would also like ticket news for Tynecastle, first away day since ehh Hearts.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Surprised Shields has not really done anything with you yet.

He was outstanding for us last season power pace goals .

Is he out a bad injury .

Send him back to us we will give him game time when fit 

I think the Premiership is quite a step up in quality and not everyone makes it. I’m guessing he’s probably 50/50. He’s got tough opposition in that area. Hopefully he gets up to speed and when he gets a chance he takes it.

6 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/ticket-update-motherwell-h

And just like that...

No ticket sales until they know what the script is with vaccine passports. 

FFS!  One i've had in the calendar for a while as well.

Can't actually blame Hearts here, it's actually sensible move from them.  Scot Gov needs to get their finger out on this.

1 minute ago, Desp said:

FFS!  One i've had in the calendar for a while as well.

Can't actually blame Hearts here, it's actually sensible move from them.  Scot Gov needs to get their finger out on this.

same here, worry is that cause of the complications they say 'home season ticket holders only' to make it as smooth as possible.

Been looking forward to this one for weeks as well.

For once i'd like to see some of Burrows twitter crew ask the question on the likelihood of away tickets, any of you fancy stepping up?

Guest superward
14 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

No he wasn't, it was a rid neck.

He went over sure. But didn't make a huge meal of it like others did in the match.  A ticking off would have sufficed I think personally. 

3 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

So we all geared up and expecting an Aberdeen bid to secure the bold Tony Watt next summer? Seems their modus operandi.

I'm fairly unconcerned with Tony's contract situation at the minute. He seems to have finally found somewhere where he feels settled and it looks like he's enjoying his football for the first time in a long while after years of bouncing around the UK and Europe. 

He's clearly one of our best and most important players and he seems to have finally found a home so, without being too presumptuous, I would hope that the contract talks would be fairly straightforward....? That being said, I'd be keen to see an extension signed before Christmas just to avoid any risk of a pre-contract offer coming in from elsewhere.

As others have mentioned, it'll be a very strange time next summer when we come back from pre-season with the vast majority of our starting XI under contract. It'd be nice to add the bold Tony to that list.  

18 minutes ago, dezz said:

As others have mentioned, it'll be a very strange time next summer when we come back from pre-season with the vast majority of our starting XI under contract. It'd be nice to add the bold Tony to that list.  

Pretty sure @crazylegsjoe_mfc mentioned it earlier, barring any transfer bids, the first choice back four & goalkeeper are all signed up for next season.  If Tony Watt signs on, our current front three will be too.   Throw in Slattery in the middle of the park, that's a tremendous base to build from.  

10 hours ago, Swello said:

Been thinking similar myself. If we have a longer term plan with important players tied up on longer deals then the very early part of the season was basically collateral damage while we got what we needed. It is still very early but the signs so far are that it was a price worth paying. Of the longer deals, only Shields hasn't contributed much so far but there is clearly time for him to adjust to our level and play a part.

Something that will be interesting is how we progress this group. Assuming Alexander is still here next season etc.

One of the problematic aspects with Robinson was that he'd tend to settle on his "best XI" and that would be that...which led to the various "12-18" recruitment windows.

I thought it was notable that Alexander was talking up the "squad" in his post-match yesterday: "There's a work ethic from the players not in the team, to support and compete and try and get in the team. We have 20 players, 20 odd players competing together and competing against each other to make each other better."

It'll be interesting to see what sort of business we do in January and similarly whether we replicate the more "patient" approach of bringing players in or if having a solid core of players contracted means we might focus on pre-contracts.

On the face of it we've got a good base of players tied down on long term deals and tbh, it feels like there are a handful with a year to go that we'd be relatively happy to extend again based on their current involvement (acknowledging we're only 6 games into the league season).

As an aside, here's the breakdown of goal timings for and against this season. Taken from SoccerStats.

606655306_ScreenShot2021-09-20at19_58_18.thumb.png.c4a2fa624ae927ee49ae813b3f41f6d5.png

Last season for context.

924922647_ScreenShot2021-09-20at20_01_44.thumb.png.f50fe185049ef05963b20afe364a943a.png

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Berwick against Gretna about to start on BBC Scotland with our loanee Matthew Connolly in goal for Gretna. Also featuring for Berwick is Tam Scobbie - the one that got away emoji6.png.

How old is he? 

Looks absolutely tiny just now physically but keepers all seem to start scrawny as f**k.

giphy.gif
The blog being referred to in that exchange has a whole raft of stats. It surprisingly, but conveniently omits the foul stats, which are one of the main drivers to said 'dead time' as a result of play having to be stopped for infringements.

11 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Surprised Shields has not really done anything with you yet.

He was outstanding for us last season power pace goals .

Is he out a bad injury .

Send him back to us we will give him game time when fit 

He is probably 5th or 6th choice to play in our front 3. Was injured at the wrong time and has failed to take the limited chances he has got

Watt, KvV, Woolery are the first choice. Roberts probably next then Amaluzor and Shields.

Doesn't help him that Alexander likes to lock up the game with defensive subs when we are in the lead.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

giphy.gif

I see this has resulted in us now getting it in the neck from Rangers fans, as it apparently proves we're "even more a time wasting negative side than Motherwell".

Its great stuff tbh, Rangers fans have been melting down on Twitter about our lack of ball boys since the game and I've no idea why.