Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The only issue was the Daily Record article about armament placements.  Without this we would all love him.
Even that story was the old "someone close to him said..." type thing wasn't it? Not that it matters much now anyway.

He joins a long list of players to make the step down to Aberdeen, and I'm delighted so far with the replacements.

I think there has always been a secret, very petty list of players that are deemed to have left us in a Good or Bad way (and a bin for jobbers that drift off at the end of contracts) - Big Dec has unfortunately ended up on the Bad list with Cadden, Pearson (first time round) and a few others (one of my earliest 'Well memories was Fraser Wishart getting pelters for characterising his move to St Mirren as a step up and a chance to "win things" :) )

Thing is - practically every player who has done us a turn and got a move off the back of it has ended up on the Good list as I think there is a very realistic view of our place in the wages pecking order - so it takes especially bad handling to f**k everyone off...

29 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think there has always been a secret, very petty list of players that are deemed to have left us in a Good or Bad way (and a bin for jobbers that drift off at the end of contracts) - Big Dec has unfortunately ended up on the Bad list with Cadden, Pearson (first time round) and a few others (one of my earliest 'Well memories was Fraser Wishart getting pelters for characterising his move to St Mirren as a step up and a chance to "win things" :) )

Thing is - practically every player who has done us a turn and got a move off the back of it has ended up on the Good list as I think there is a very realistic view of our place in the wages pecking order - so it takes especially bad handling to f**k everyone off...

Trevor Carson - good guy, Liam Polworth - w**k.  Is that the idea?

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I'll always appreciate James Scott for triggering Tom Boyd into a different dimension in that game at Parkhead. 

I'll never forget his straw-clutching commentary line of "it's so sad to see this happen to football in a week where we lost Gordon Banks"

1 minute ago, Swello said:

I think Boyd was well-enough thought of when he was at the club - he went total w**k soon after.

Aye. Tom Boyd literally won the Scottish Cup as Motherwell captain and we sold him to Chelsea for £800k.

Fair enough he's not done much to endear himself after that but his time as captain wasn't much of an issue.

Granted but when I look back at Dec his highest and most significant game was a sending off after 70' in a pumping by Israeli's.

Tom Boyd was the captain of our team that won our only silverwear in 70 years and I'd have no issue switching off his life support machine to recharge my iPhone.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. Tom Boyd literally won the Scottish Cup as Motherwell captain and we sold him to Chelsea for £800k.

Fair enough he's not done much to endear himself after that but his time as captain wasn't much of an issue.

I'm not sure if he really wanted to go to chelsea though. Remember that players had very little say on the issue. For example it wouldn't surprise me if Tommy McLean said he would never let him move to Celtic, who were his team.

Clubs had complete control over the issue. If a guy didn't comply he got stuck in the reserves and put on a basic wage. And at the time a decent part of a player's wage was appearance money and bonuses.

I watched The Steelmen on BBC Alba recently and Boyd was alright on that. not a complete wido like he is on Celtic TV and in the papers

26 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm absolutely terrified we're going to sign him again once Hibs get bored of fishing his overhit crosses out of Leith Docks. 

Watching him in the Edinburgh derby - he doesn't look to have developed at all throughout his shady transfer moves - exactly the same player as he was at Fir Park

Note the club haven’t said anything yet about tickets for Ibrox.

Rangers ticket sales showing one section in the ‘away end’ with no ticket sales so would presume we’re getting some.

Well that went well [emoji52]

4 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Note the club haven’t said anything yet about tickets for Ibrox.

Rangers ticket sales showing one section in the ‘away end’ with no ticket sales so would presume we’re getting some.

Well....

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/09/13/no-away-fans-at-ibrox/