Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

49 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Having had a peek in at the St Johnstone thread I realise it could have been much, much worse. Not sure how they managed to get less for McCann than we got for James Scott. 

To be fair, I rate Scott and think he was showing great potential in our first team, but it is certainly changed days where we get seven figures for a forward who had scored three league goals against St. Mirren and one against Dundee, when once upon a time we got 110k for Jamie Murphy.

30 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

To be fair, I rate Scott and think he was showing great potential in our first team, but it is certainly changed days where we get seven figures for a forward who had scored three league goals against St. Mirren and one against Dundee, when once upon a time we got 110k for Jamie Murphy.

Folk had a laugh at the bold Greg on his wild Tommy Wright/Graham Alexander take but he's not wrong here and Robert Thomson's central point is certainly true. Monetising and getting value for your playing assets is a skill.

Changed days for us certainly. For all the snark around our player branding documents and what not when you compare how the club handled the Turnbull negotiation/sale and knee knack fall out vs St Johnstone's shitshow last night it puts things into context.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Think even that's a bit harsh, tbh. Ojala, Slattery, KVV and even Justin have shown a bit of something so far. Reserve judgement on Shields and Woolery so far, what looks like capable cover in O'Connor, Kelly and Roberts were 2 of our best performers at the end of last season, which leaves Goss and Johansen as the unknowns so far, and so long as they're at the very least competent, that's really not bad business at all. The fall-out from the Airdrie United game was that we all felt that going into the season with Lamie, Crawford, Lawless and to a lesser extent probably Maguire and Deano as nailed on starters would not end well, and now for better or worse in some cases, none of them will be.

Put into the context of other teams we'll be competing with; St. Johnstone losing their two best players hours before the window closed, Dundee signing a whole collection of drama, County and Livi signing a bunch of regens, St. Mirren signing our squad of 3 years ago and United being linked with all sorts of guys then signing Scott McMann.

Gotts aside, (who was shite and had nae tits anyway) it doesn't feel like we've missed out on anyone we clearly wanted so all in all; good window, IMO.

In fairness to Dundee, they will be a good laugh this season, probably unplayable some weeks. IF (and it's a big if) Griffiths gets fits your looking at a 15-20 goal striker, which I don't think anyone, maybe out with Hibs (nisbet & Boyle both capable) has, especially not in the bottom 6. 

41 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

In fairness to Dundee, they will be a good laugh this season, probably unplayable some weeks. IF (and it's a big if) Griffiths gets fits your looking at a 15-20 goal striker, which I don't think anyone, maybe out with Hibs (nisbet & Boyle both capable) has, especially not in the bottom 6. 

They're going to win a cup or burn down the stadium, is my guess.

One or the other, nothing in-between.

They're going to win a cup or burn down the stadium, is my guess.
One or the other, nothing in-between.

100%.
They better hope they’re safe by Christmas because half that squad will be in the jail after the Christmas night out.

Exceptionally dull post but I see we've a new 'Head of Medical'. Alan Nixon mentioned it a while back but he's on the Staff page of the official now.

Dave Rhodes formerly at Salford.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/squad/first-team/

Also, I see Max Johnston's been moved down into the Reserves squad 

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/squad/reserves/

Edited by capt_oats

8 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

He any good, or is this just nepotism?

It was mentioned earlier, I dunno he's had a wee run about in the team but in reality our 1st choice was out recently. 2nd choice was playing in midfield, so we played Bevis Mugabe there and Johnston was still just left chilling.

But he's meant to be a decent prospect.

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

It was mentioned earlier, I dunno he's had a wee run about in the team but in reality our 1st choice was out recently. 2nd choice was playing in midfield, so we played Bevis Mugabe there and Johnston was still just left chilling.

But he's meant to be a decent prospect.

To be fair he done ok in the games he was thrown in to. Looked miles short of fitness but at least technically he wasn't too bad.

8 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

This transfer window has definitely been about playing the long game which really doesn't fit with the league cup group stages and indeed, the last 16 being over before our squad was built.

Hopefully, our 29 man squad becomes something like 22/23 once we have loaned some players out. Would like to see Johnston, Devine, Cornelius and Morrison loaned out and playing actual games. None of them will make it in our first team by sitting on the bench.

Alexander's line was “We want to carry, maybe, two or three more players than we first planned because of the issues with Covid - they are not going away." to me that would have meant running with a squad of 25-ish based on his comments last season about preferring to run with a relatively tight group.

We were on 29 bodies, that's down to 28 with Johnston's loan. Assuming Chairman Flao is good on his word that the other young players around the team go out on loan as well (subject to them being recovered from injuries etc) that should be another 3 and bring the squad down to 25.

After that I suppose it depends on whether certain players actually want to play or if they'll be happy sat in the stands as a squad of 25 means you've got 7 sat out of the matchday squad (assuming everyone is fit). As I said earlier we're at the point where realistically Crawford and Lawless don't even make the bench most weeks.

Kelly
SOD Ojala Johansen Carroll
Slattery Donnelly Goss
Roberts KVV Watt

Subs (7 from): Fox, Lamie, Mugabi, O'Connor, McGinley, Grimshaw, Maguire, O'Hara, Crawford, Parker, Woolery, Lawless, Amaluzor, Shields

That's a pool of 14 subs/reserves. It's not difficult to imagine trimming one or two if a Championship club wanted to take them off our hand on loan.