Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

As mentioned above, I thought on Saturday that Ojala appeared to read the game very well. His positioning was good on a number of occasions where you saw him anticipate what was going to happen and make a clever interception on an occasion where you know for most of our centre backs it would be them diving in to a tackle a few seconds later.

Was happy with the win again and like most with Alexander, despite not playing very well, after we went ahead we seemed to be relatively in control for most of it.

Beginning to get pissed off at Carroll lunging in to tackles. I think it was a red personally, but by all accounts do not give Willie Collum the chance to make a decision like that.

Midfield still concerns me a bit. I thought Slattery could've been better on Saturday and we will wait and see how Goss goes. I still don't know who is the third piece of the jigsaw there, I don't think it's Maguire, 19/20 Donnelly seems a long way off as yet and whilst I thought O'Hara had one of his better games on Saturday, I'm not 100% convinced it's him either.

I would have said that we need to try and carve out a formation which gets the best of Watt and Van Veen together, but that probably looks like only a back three could achieve that as our wide options aren't the best. Amaluzor looks to me like a non-league English winger with some raw potential who is worth seeing how a one-year deal goes. Woolery, on the other hand, should be far better given we signed him from Tranmere on a three year deal. He's been shocking every time I've seen him so far, hopefully he settles in too. I'm not particularly keen on either being first picks.

If I wasn't being swayed by the big Norwegian already, I would say winger would be my number one signing priority before the window shuts.

Beginning to get pissed off at Carroll lunging in to tackles. I think it was a red personally, but by all accounts do not give Willie Collum the chance to make a decision like that.

He’s a bit of a loose cannon, isn’t he?! He was very lucky to stay on the park in the first game of the season against Hibs too. Some delivery though, 3 assists already so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

On potential outgoings - surely we’ll see Devine and Cornelius leave on loan. Maybe Crawford too as he’s now well down the pecking order. The bold Mich’el can pick up Crawford’s role of emergency midfield cover. Wouldn’t be totally surprised to see Lawless leave as well if we bring in another wide player/attacker (Roberts?).

27 minutes ago, dezz said:

On potential outgoings - surely we’ll see Devine and Cornelius leave on loan. Maybe Crawford too as he’s now well down the pecking order. The bold Mich’el can pick up Crawford’s role of emergency midfield cover. Wouldn’t be totally surprised to see Lawless leave as well if we bring in another wide player/attacker (Roberts?).

You can add Morrison to that list as well. He was quoted as saying he needs to play games.

The Motherwell prospect believes the QPR keeper is a great example of what loans can achieve: “We will see in the summer what the plan is for me at Motherwell, whether that’s going out on loan again or not. Graham Alexander (Motherwell manager) hasn’t been in very long so I haven’t spoken to him too much.

“But he knows I have got another year left on my contract. He knows I need to play games. I have been really lucky. Liam Kelly has come through the same path as I have, going out on loan and getting games. It’s brilliant to see that this path works out, going out on loan and catching the eye for Premiership level. Liam is a great goalkeeper and a great guy.”

Link

Happy to be corrected but I've a feeling that the loan window for the clubs in the seaside leagues extends through to the end of September. So there's a chance some of those players might move out on loan after the window officially shuts. Cornelius has been coming back from an injury I think.

The fact that Crawford hasn't played a minute of football since Airdrie probably puts a question mark over him (along with us giving Grimshaw a run out in midfield rather than use him).

Lawleff's last start was the loss to Dundee but it feels pointed that he hasn't actually started a league game yet - he's played 25 league minutes in total (but started all but one of the LC games) and was an unused sub against Livi and bounced from the squad completely at the weekend. Maybe that means something, maybe it doesn't but as you say if we bring in another wide player or an 'across the front 3' type like Roberts then it probably raises a question.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

You can add Morrison to that list as well. He was quoted as saying he needs to play games.

Happy to be corrected but I've a feeling that the loan window for the clubs in the seaside leagues extends through to the end of September. 

You would be correct.  End of September for the summer loan window, and end of February for the winter.  

59 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Amaluzor looks to me like a non-league English winger with some raw potential who is worth seeing how a one-year deal goes. Woolery, on the other hand, should be far better given we signed him from Tranmere on a three year deal. He's been shocking every time I've seen him so far, hopefully he settles in too. I'm not particularly keen on either being first picks.

Agree with this. 

Neither are exactly setting the heather on fire but my expectations for Amaluzor were pretty low- a 1 year deal from Maidstone. By contrast, I was expecting Woolery to have a bit of something about him but other than a few flashes in the league cup we’ve seen precious little so far.  

Even on Saturday without being great- Amaluzor won the free kick we scored from, was involved in the build up to Watt’s failed dink over the keeper 1st half and set him up with a decent cut back at the start of the 2nd half. I can’t really remember Woolery really being involved in anything positive.

Perhaps a spell on the bench as an impact sub would suit? If memory serves it did for Hylton, seem to remember he came on to score against Hibs & Hearts. Coincidently the best I’ve seen Woolery play was his cameo off the bench against QOTS. 

Would agree though, if Alexander is welded to the idea of the 433 I wouldn’t mind seeing another wide man coming. 

Edited by Casagolda

I'm all for taking a look at the actual stats to try to overcome confirmation bias etc about our players, so that was interesting.  
I'm going to spend some time comparing all the defenders

Edit: could just take from this...
image.png.4e902e61d0558f33458abc52057e46b9.png

... that Ojala was really pretty good.

I found the team characteristics section quite fun.  Some of it rings true, but I guess other bits don't really reflect our current form under GA...

image.png.b9f993dbb6b1f34a946998302873c5b5.png

I'm was surprised to see 'Protecting the lead' as 'very weak' when that actually seems to be our thing now (however scary and ugly it can be to watch)
So I did have a little giggle about this 
image.png.6526de1bc2f4cefcd98ba7f6d51d1f26.png

😄

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

7 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'm all for taking a look at the actual stats to try to overcome confirmation bias etc about our players, so that was interesting.  

I'm going to spend some time comparing all the defenders

I found the team characteristics section quite fun.  Some of it rings true, but I guess other bits don't really reflect our current form under GA...

I'm was surprised to see 'Protecting the lead' as 'very weak' when that actually seems to be our thing now (however scary and ugly it can be to watch)

I think it was @thisGRAEME who called whoscored a "wild ride" when it came to their numbers and pointed out that any algorithm that had Shane Duffy coming out of things looking good probably needs a bit of work.

But as a general point, and given I don't have WyScout access, it is what it is and it's probably worth taking with a pinch of salt but equally it's an interesting read.

Edited by capt_oats

From what Alexander said in the press conference (speaking to two clubs) one is certainly the Norse Fabio and based on I think it was Watt’s instagram a wee while back the second may be Roberts.

I think most would be happy with Roberts because he brought a much needed boost to that team in the winter.

If Roberts is the final piece of the puzzle I think it means Watt will be pushed out to the opposite wing from Roberts in a front three which would be a waste of what he brings. Would rather have him sit just behind VanVeen and give Roberts the freedom to switch wings.

If Carroll hadn’t been so dopey we would have seen a front two pairing but Watt was subbed to facilitate McGinley.

The coup signing would be Robbie Gotts.

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think it was @thisGRAEME who called whoscored a "wild ride" when it came to their numbers and pointed out that any algorithm that had Shane Duffy coming out of things looking good probably needs a bit of work.

But as a general point, and given I don't have WyScout access, it is what it is and it's probably worth taking with a pinch of salt but equally it's an interesting read.

Aye. Basically all of them have their foibles. WhoScored data I *think* is opta powered, so the raw data is probably closest to being right, WyScout data is patchy, but I guess its how that data is interpreted that changes it.

Broadly, whatever you see with your eyes is probably right, IMO.

The problem with nextgen stats they won't pick up what the eyes will see.  Duffy when at Celtic is probably a good one for that.  Winning aerial balls etc. think he was good at but on field positioning was woeful.  That's picked up better by the eye test.  

Same reason why xAssists have got a lot of traction over actual assists because it's not the players fault that puts a perfect cross for a tap in if his striker blazes wide/over... 

It's why Scouts and Recruitment teams will use both.  

Completely and utterly left field but I see Scott Kashket  a striker was leaving his club by mutual consent to join an as yet un named club before the end of the transfer deadline. Seems like a hard working striker and wonder if it was the type of player that GA would show an interest in?.

Edited by Well Well