Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I was looking at the same thing just there and by my count it's 22 games.

P 22 W 10 D 5 L 7 F 28 A 29 Pts 35/66 (53%)

Win % - 45%
Loss % - 31%

1724009389_ScreenShot2021-08-29at14_37_47.thumb.png.7788a58a082aea12ef9bd735469fdb06.png

1714478031_ScreenShot2021-08-29at14_38_11.thumb.png.ae328958d1143dd0e960498d0c989e77.png

I took my info from Wiki which is clearly no match v the Capt when it comes to Motherwell FC stats 👏.

Point still stands that we have only lost 7 games in 22. When you consider the squad / players we had last season (especially) that is commendable. 

3 hours ago, beesher said:

The guy in the Hunter stand that shouts ‘out out out out’ in that nails on a blackboard way seemed to have a sore throat as well which was good.

I think it is more like a seal kind of way. Kinda made me glad to be back. I say Kinda 😉.

Judging by GA defensive leanings I suspect we may hear more of it this season..

seal brains GIF

Just now, welldaft said:

I took my info from Wiki which is clearly no match v the Capt when it comes to Motherwell FC stats 👏.

Point still stands that we have only lost 7 games in 22. When you consider the squad / players we had last season (especially) that is commendable. 

Nah, to be clear I wasn't disagreeing with your point.

I think that broadly when you look at his managerial career it shows up pretty well.

1367311161_ScreenShot2021-08-29at18_21_35.thumb.png.71338852fae46cbb35ece8997d2e81c2.png

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Nah, to be clear I wasn't disagreeing with your point.

I think that broadly when you look at his managerial career it shows up pretty well.

1367311161_ScreenShot2021-08-29at18_21_35.thumb.png.71338852fae46cbb35ece8997d2e81c2.png

I know Captain. We are cool. 
Maybe my wiki page is stuck in the past. I looked up all Motherwell Managers records and that is what it told me.
Clearly not been updated 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I know Captain. We are cool. 
Maybe my wiki page is stuck in the past. I looked up all Motherwell Managers records and that is what it told me.
Clearly not been updated 🤷‍♂️

Aye, it's as of 1st May 21 (top left). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Motherwell_F.C._managers

1702805288_ScreenShot2021-08-29at18_40_30.thumb.png.2e70097091479aed5a987dd1bc36e11b.png

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

He was wandering about at the front of the Main Stand at half time and stopped for a photo with a group of kids near the front. 

Obviously not glandular fever either then must’ve been one of they drunk chats last night 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Well Well said:

Norwegian god just landed at Edinburgh Airport with the missus. 

Amazing how far we've come, we used to have a guy sitting outside fir park on deadline day tweeting the scoops, now we've got someone at the airport. #boxoffice 

Part of me wants the 2nd signing to be gotts, because we will then have Goss and gotts, and the power of this thread will be confirmed. However, I'd also like a signing completely out of nowhere. 

GA suggested there would be no outgoings, but surely a couple will be going out on loan.

11 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Amazing how far we've come, we used to have a guy sitting outside fir park on deadline day tweeting the scoops, now we've got someone at the airport. #boxoffice 

Part of me wants the 2nd signing to be gotts, because we will then have Goss and gotts, and the power of this thread will be confirmed. However, I'd also like a signing completely out of nowhere. 

GA suggested there would be no outgoings, but surely a couple will be going out on loan.

I would forego Gotts for an Indian street food chef to take us to the next level in fan cuisine.

20 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

He did but it seems wild to think that we're going to be sat with a squad of potentially 29 bodies after his whole pitch about his preference being having a small squad. Even accounting for him saying “We want to carry, maybe, two or three more players than we first planned because of the issues with Covid - they are not going away." it's hard to square that large a squad with the numbers we had last season.

All things considered I'd have thought a squad of 25-26 probably sounds right for what he's said previously.

The full quote from his press conference:

Outgoings? Expecting any more before Tuesday?

"Not expecting. No, not expecting but you know, the phone will possibly ring between now and then. As it always does with the sort of merry-go-round of players which happens so we will just assess any calls that come my way but I'm not looking to lose anybody. I don't want to lose anybody but you know, I know these things can happen overnight. So we'll just wait and see."

What's the script with loans to the seaside leagues btw? Can they still happen outside the window?

Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, Well Well said:

Norwegian god just landed at Edinburgh Airport with the missus. 

Wid? (Meaning the Mrs, obviously the big man is). Pics or gtf surely,?

In all seriousness, very enthused by this signing. Ojala is far from silky and doesn't exactly spray classy passes about, but seems a good, no nonsense defender who wins the majority of his duels. If Johansen can come in and do the same on the left hand side of the two  that would be fucking magic.

Even more so, if Goss can prove the doubters wrong (myself included), and work well alongside Slattery to link back>middle>front, I think with the addition of the #norsegod we have the makings of a top of the bottom 6 team at least.

8 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

In all seriousness, very enthused by this signing. Ojala is far from silky and doesn't exactly spray classy passes about, but seems a good, no nonsense defender who wins the majority of his duels. If Johansen can come in and do the same on the left hand side of the two that would be fucking magic.

Aye, I think it's interesting that from what we've seen of the way Alexander seems to want to set up defensively that the various comments and #numbers have him as "a solid defender who defends his box well". In a broader sense, rewinding back to the start of the window the thing that people were getting worked up about was the idea that we'd be going into the season with Bevis and Lamie as our first choice CB pairing (even more so when they announced the squad numbers).

On the face of it we've addressed that particular issue plus we've added O'Connor for some cover and I'd say it also explains Mugabi's 1 year contract extension that some folk on Steelmen were getting bent out of shape over at the time. I may be wrong but I think Lamie has also done enough to show that he's fine to have around as a squad option.

Going back to the points @superward and @Antiochas III made yesterday:

16 hours ago, superward said:

It's clear as day to me that Alexander has in part used the cup and all of August as a pre season essentially. 

It's a bold strategy but it's hard to disagree that this is what's happened. Alexander was quoted last week saying "Ideally, in a beautiful world we’d have six to ten friendlies to get them up to speed before competitive action but that’s not the scenario."

The game against Dundee was our 11th of the season (including the two bounce games).

I was listening back to @thisGRAEME's Patreon season preview last night and it still feels pretty much on the money in terms of where we are.

Edited by capt_oats