Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Now a month has passed since our last signing Ojala thereabouts.  We are being VERY patient as a club.

To be fair I kind of agree with this new approach but no one can pretend it is not frustrating.

On squad size.  You would expect that if we sign 2-3 more players then we could see a similar amount or more leaving on loan or permanently. 

Thankfully it does seem as if Crawford is a distant memory. I don't want to be overly harsh but he is NOT a Premiership player.  Strangely enough Livi already knew this but clearly we or Robbo knew better 😌.  Could see him dropping down a division.

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness I'd guess if we were to sign him he'd play on the left of the midfield 3. Roughly where Barry Maguire's been playing up until recently.

More someone to spray passes and/or link midfield and attack (preferably both).

I won't lie, my views on him are fairly coloured by his pathetic shitebag displays for us, but I think he'd be a liability there too.

He had no physicality at all with us, while also being slow and lazy. He was decent on the ball but not good enough to make up for what he was poor at.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Don't do it. Not even sure I'd wish Sean Goss on United. 

Would have needed to multi-quote several posts to basically just say I agree so instead will just repeat what's been said simply because Goss is easily one of my most disliked ever players at Saints. 

Saints literally could have gone top of the Premiership in late January 2019 if they'd won their first three league games after the split (two were against Celtic admittedly). The point being that we were flying. Of course you are always looking to improve the team, even in those situations for a club like Saints, but it's surely vital you actually, you know, do make it better if you chose to do that. 

Sean Goss killed our season. Absolute imposter of player. Avoid at all costs. 

Can't say I'm sad to see David Marshall papped as he's what 3rd choice at Derby? I'd say Kelly deserves it for endeavour and ability.

Assumed because Gerrard is rotating the keepers McLaughlin would have stayed in because, well he plays for The Rangers.

Thought McTominay would have got a shout as its still a few weeks away and he's back playing now albeit not full games. Massive loss.

I'd expect because the toughest game is Denmark away he'll go with experience so unless Turnbull paps in a hat-trick every weekend till then I think he'll get a start against Moldova at Hampden. Abundance of riches in midfield. Gilmour would have probably started against Croatia after Wembley if it wasn't for Covvy D.

Not my choice but I think Clarke will go with:

------------------ Gordon --------------------

O'Donnell - Hanley - Cooper? - Tierney - Robertson

------- McGinn --- McGregor --- McLean -------

------------------------- Christie -------------

------------------ Adams --------------------

1 hour ago, Al B said:

I thought I'd seen something about the mention of Goss being a mis-hearing of our interest in Gotts? 🤔

Someone suggested that but whoever it was posted the rumour originally didn't reply to either confirm or deny as far as I saw.

It's on this page: https://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/16650-20212022-rebuild/page/78/#comments

I thought Alexander's chat about transfers pre-match kind of hinted that the players we were looking at had/have other options specifically the point about "we don't know if we' will win those battles" but I'm maybe just projecting with that.

Alexander confirmed that the Steelmen are working on a few transfers but he stressed that he’s only looking to bring in quality players.

“Not just bodies but good players,” Alexander admitted when asked if he's looking to add to his squad.

“It’s important that we are not just getting numbers because we want good quality.

“We want to try and improve the team and the squad. We have a couple of things going on in the background but we don’t know whether we will win those battles.

“We’ve identified a couple of players that we feel can help us improve. We will keep trying until the last minute of the window and I know when we get to that point, we will have a good squad."

Link

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

There's yer Liam Kelly and SOD in the Scotland squad.

Congratulations to our social media team on making it happen.

One thing that I've been impressed with Clark is that he will pick players that are doing well in our league when in the past the rule was "Play for Rangers/Celtic/EPL or do well in the English 2nd tier".  Having players that I might see on a normal Saturday league game in the Scotland squad makes the national team more interesting for me. 

53 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Can't say I'm sad to see David Marshall papped as he's what 3rd choice at Derby? I'd say Kelly deserves it for endeavour and ability.

Assumed because Gerrard is rotating the keepers McLaughlin would have stayed in because, well he plays for The Rangers.

Thought McTominay would have got a shout as its still a few weeks away and he's back playing now albeit not full games. Massive loss.

I'd expect because the toughest game is Denmark away he'll go with experience so unless Turnbull paps in a hat-trick every weekend till then I think he'll get a start against Moldova at Hampden. Abundance of riches in midfield. Gilmour would have probably started against Croatia after Wembley if it wasn't for Covvy D.

Not my choice but I think Clarke will go with:

------------------ Gordon --------------------

O'Donnell - Hanley - Cooper? - Tierney - Robertson

------- McGinn --- McGregor --- McLean -------

------------------------- Christie -------------

------------------ Adams --------------------

fwiw, I can't think of a single reason that Gilmour doesn't start against Denmark. Especially not for Kenny Maclean

If Gilmour doesn't start it is a HUGE step backwards considering he ran the show at Wembley the last time he wore a Scotland shirt.

tbf, from what you have said, you agree, just don't trust Clarke to follow suit.

5 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

fwiw, I can't think of a single reason that Gilmour doesn't start against Denmark. Especially not for Kenny Maclean

If Gilmour doesn't start it is a HUGE step backwards considering he ran the show at Wembley the last time he wore a Scotland shirt.

tbf, from what you have said, you agree, just don't trust Clarke to follow suit.

Especially now that he's keeping Kenny McLean out of the Norwich team.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

There's yer Liam Kelly and SOD in the Scotland squad.

Glad to see he selected Zander Clark too, or the St Johnstone boys on here would have been in absolute meltdown after the other week.

Kelly's just been featured, albeit briefly, in your actual Sky News bulletin, so there may yet be some toys coming out of prams.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Glad to see he selected Zander Clark too, or the St Johnstone boys on here would have been in absolute meltdown after the other week.

Kelly's just been featured, albeit briefly, in your actual Sky News bulletin, so there may yet be some toys coming out of prams.

They need Zander to fire in the crosses at the warm up.

4 hours ago, Radford said:

Don't do it. Not even sure I'd wish Sean Goss on United. 

Would have needed to multi-quote several posts to basically just say I agree so instead will just repeat what's been said simply because Goss is easily one of my most disliked ever players at Saints. 

Saints literally could have gone top of the Premiership in late January 2019 if they'd won their first three league games after the split (two were against Celtic admittedly). The point being that we were flying. Of course you are always looking to improve the team, even in those situations for a club like Saints, but it's surely vital you actually, you know, do make it better if you chose to do that. 

Sean Goss killed our season. Absolute imposter of player. Avoid at all costs. 

If we'd won our first three league games this season we would quite literally be top of the league right now, although I appreciate it's not an exact analogy to your 2019 situation.

I hold Robbie Crawford solely responsible for us not occupying that lofty spot, even though he didn't actually play in any of those games.

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

They need Zander to fire in the crosses at the warm up.

It's because of the direct correlation between the amount of beards in a squad and how successful they are.

Thankfully Scotland seemed to have cottoned on to it.

Is anyone else still waiting for their season ticket being posted out?

I’ve seen one other person today still waiting on there’s to arrive.

Can always pick it up through in Motherwell on Saturday I guess but with no cash gate in operation there’ll probably be a queue at the ticket office.