Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd HATE to rely on that, if we make a signing and he pushes for a place then great. I wouldn't wanna depend on it though.

Yep - Grimmy isn't an unknown quantity - if he was a nailed on starting midfielder, we'd probably know by now. That said - both at Dundee and today, he put most of the team to shame in terms of effort and commitment and having that sort of dig in the team is a good thing for us at the moment.

The urgency that KVV showed on the first day or what Grimmy showed in the last two weeks is what we need more of - the team still feels a bit passive for my liking.

Guest superward
16 minutes ago, Swello said:

Yep - Grimmy isn't an unknown quantity - if he was a nailed on starting midfielder, we'd probably know by now. That said - both at Dundee and today, he put most of the team to shame in terms of effort and commitment and having that sort of dig in the team is a good thing for us at the moment.

The urgency that KVV showed on the first day or what Grimmy showed in the last two weeks is what we need more of - the team still feels a bit passive for my liking.

I do mostly agree. But that optimist in me thinks he's only 26 and not been given a real chance in midfield for ages....

I'm on the Grimmy bus. Toot toot. 

2 minutes ago, superward said:

I do mostly agree. But that optimist in me thinks he's only 26 and not been given a real chance in midfield for ages....

As Busta said - if he fought his way into/kept his place in the team - we'd all be delighted. But to hit the end of the window with the midfield we have would be a massive risk

9 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

More than a few folk I know saying they weren’t impressed with Ojala today and comparing his first couple of games in contrast with how good Hartley or Aldred looked when they signed. 

Is that fair?

First sight today, fairly anonymous, happy to judge him next month.

Given that he had to quarantine and there was a lot of messing about - and he's in a new country and league - and playing in a team that's not firing on all cylinders, I think he deserves a bit of time to settle in before the hot takes. 

I watched him more closely last week TBH - and he veered between looking really assured and making some big mistakes. My assumption at the moment is that he wouldn't have played at the decent level he has if basic defending mistakes were a common thing for him.

54 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

More than a few folk I know saying they weren’t impressed with Ojala today and comparing his first couple of games in contrast with how good Hartley or Aldred looked when they signed. 

Is that fair?

I thought he was murder like.

Anything within 15 yards if him in the air he wins, Anything 4 inches wide of him on the deck, he's missed it.

Certainly not writing him off but a couple of scary moments.

Wasn’t a fan of looking along the bench and throwing on anyone that looked like a defender but I was glad O’Connor got on the pitch, I hope he gets more game time.

I don’t like the term ‘minutes’.

23 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I thought he was murder like.

Anything within 15 yards if him in the air he wins, Anything 4 inches wide of him on the deck, he's missed it.

Certainly not writing him off but a couple of scary moments.

An assist for Watt’s goal?  (Header into the ground 8 yards from goal).

Guest superward
9 hours ago, Swello said:

As Busta said - if he fought his way into/kept his place in the team - we'd all be delighted. But to hit the end of the window with the midfield we have would be a massive risk

Ach aye same. But I'm still on the Grimmy bus. 

9 hours ago, superward said:

3 minutes ago, superward said:

But I'm still on the Grimmy bus. 

I believe due to his Burnley roots we should be going with the term "Gravy Train". All aboard.

Thank you.

On Ojala, would I right in saying he’s not had a pre-season? 

Chuck that in with moving to a new country, quarantining etc and I’m not surprised he’s looking a bit rusty. Much like Shiels, he’s basically having to get his fitness through games so I’m expecting(hoping) he’ll come good and be a bit sharper for the two full 90 mins he’s had. 

Which feels like where we are as a team, still playing our way into things even though the seasons started. Overall yesterday didn’t feel massively different to what we’ve seen so far, only this time we ended up on the right side of what was a fairly close game. 

Always felt like a big 10 days or so coming up and yesterday was a good start. Another win next Saturday coupled with a few decent additions before the window shuts and it could still turn out to be a very decent start to the season. 

It’s funny how quickly a come-from-behind win can change your perspective.
Despite clearly still being a huge work in progress, you can’t really grumble with 4 points from away games against St J and Livi and a narrow (unlucky?) loss at home to Hibs.
Next week against Dundee looks quite important with Aberdeen and Rangers up after that but if we could grab a win to put us on 7/12 would mark a very decent start to the season in my book.
If we can get another couple of players in that are similar in quality to the likes of Slattery, I think we should have enough not to be in too much bother this season.

8 minutes ago, ropy said:

Would 4 points every 3 games be acceptable?

50 points?

50 points in a league season would be classic mid-table stuff I would guess - the main difference would be if you fell into the top or bottom 6 a few weeks before that and that would colour people's perceptions on if it was acceptable or not. 

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

50 points in a league season would be classic mid-table stuff I would guess - the main difference would be if you fell into the top or bottom 6 a few weeks before that and that would colour people's perceptions on if it was acceptable or not. 

It'd put you on around 44 points at the split so based on previous seasons you'd be in the conversation for Top 6.

6th place after 33 games last season was 40 points. 18/19 it was 50 points, 17/18 it was 46.