Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

48 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Yes and they’ve been doing it a lot longer than we have in ML1

Now taking this info on board and realising that we have possibly picked it up from them.?

However, SIWY and hauns still make us big time players. Unless anyone is going to shatter the illusion and tell me that we adopted these ones too?

Now taking this info on board and realising that we have possibly picked it up from them.?
However, SIWY and hauns still make us big time players. Unless anyone is going to shatter the illusion and tell me that we adopted these ones too?

Think a lot has been borrowed from the continent, seems to be a few who argue that teams in France and Greece did the “hauns” thing long before us. I tend to agree.

‘Since I was young’ however has always been unique and I’m with you in thinking it’s original to Motherwell. I remember it originally being teams up here like Hearts and St Johnstone that copied it but even a few weeks ago I heard Charlton Athletic singing it on Sky vs Sheffield Wednesday. Everybody does it now but I’ve never heard an earlier version than ours.

25 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Play up Sky Blues! Cov are my second team (have lots of family down there) Twist and Shout has been a Cov anthem for decades. One of the fanzines is even called Twist and Shout.

Maybe we should switch to the Deacon Blue song just to be different.

58 minutes ago, ropy said:

Less than two weeks and only 2 games before the window does its slamming thing and most things will be settled.  Will the team be filled by Eurostars or by legacy Livi?

Something that I was wondering off the back of the link to big Sondre was whether it's possible to register and process a signing subject to a visa.

On the face of it we seem to have had less hassle than St Johnstone and United have with their Finnish signings. The first report from Denmark that Ojala was over here was on 15th July and we announced him on 29th July. So a fortnight give or take.

Maybe a bit longer if he was over a few days before that initial report was published. Even then, the news story around the signing had a quote from Alexander saying we'd been waiting "a while" for the visa to be processed. A week and a half until the window closes doesn't give much of a paperwork processing timeline.

Anyway, the question I'm asking is, given Alexander was saying 3 weeks ago that we're "scouring everywhere" for players would a delay on a visa f**k us up or could a player be registered prior to the window "slamming shut" pending the visa going through?

As an aside, I don't know if it's maybe just my perception but while I get we're not exactly a go to club for clicks it feels like there's been a lot less Scott Burns exclusives with our transfers chat this window. Like, I think he mentioned KVV the day before he signed or whatever but the initial story broke via the Scunthorpe fansite. Same with Ojala, the general whispers that he'd signed came around the Airdrie game but at that point there hadn't been a peep in the press over here AFAIK.

I'll not lie when the window opened signing a Finnish international from a top flight Danish side wasn't a direction that I saw us going in. Even a 30 year old mercurial Dutch centre forward has been a pretty welcome curveball.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

On the face of it we seem to have had less hassle than St Johnstone and United have with their Finnish signings. The first report from Denmark that Ojala was over here was on 15th July and we announced him on 29th July. So a fortnight give or take.

Not all that familiar with what difficulties other clubs are having but international caps often plays a part in determining work permit applications. Ojala has a fair bit more international experience than the other Finnish guys (31 caps to 0 and 6 caps respectively), which is possibly why Ojala's signing seemed to go through more smoothly.

The bold Sondre has 0 international caps to date, and so by the same logic could be difficult to get a work permit for.

Right this is really, really fucking dull but to the point of recruitment, no judgement on whether it's been good or not but here's a list of players we've either been linked with (vaguely or otherwise...in one very specific case completely made up) or reported to have had in on trial or have signed.

For the most part it's just names lifted from scrolling through Viva Motherwell's timeline but...it's quite a list (Confirmed signings in bold, trialists in italics):

• Sondre Solholm Johansson (Mjøndalen) (DF)
  • Sofian Feghouli (Galatasaray S.K) (MF) :lol: 
  • Robbie Gotts (Leeds) (MF)
  • Juhani Ojala (Vejle) (DF) - signed (2 yr)
  • Marc McNulty (Reading) (FW) - signed for Dundee United
  • Calum Slattery (Southampton) (MF) - signed (3 yr)
  • Mich'el Parker (Free Agent) (MF) - signed - trialist (6 month)
  • Liam Kelly (QPR) (GK) - signed - loan made permanent (3 yr)
  • Kevin Van Veen (Free Agent) (ST) - signed - played for Alexander at Scunthorpe (2 yr)
  • Ash Taylor (Free Agent) (DF) - Signed for Walsall
  • Pawel Zuk (Free Agent) (DF) - trialist
  • Josh McPake (Rangers) (FW) - signed for Morecambe
  • Jamie Ness (Free Agent) (MF) - trialist - played for Alexander at Scunthorpe
  • Tom King (Free Agent) (GK) - trialist -signed for Salford
  • Darragh O'Conner (Free Agent) (DF) - trialist - signed (1 yr)
  • Shayon Harrison (Free Agent) (ST) - trialist - signed for Morecambe - scouted by Nick Daws for AFC Wimbledon
  • Joe Muscatt (Free Agent) (DF/MF) - trialist - played for Alexander at Salford
  • Kaiyne Woolery (Free Agent) (FW) - signed (3 yr)
  • Justin Amaluzor (Free Agent) (FW) - trialist - signed (1 yr)
  • Luke McCormick (Chelsea) (MF) - signed for AFC Wimbledon
  • Ethan Robson (Blackpool) (MF) - signed for MK Dons (I refuse to believe this was a real link given the teams quoted as being interested were Rangers, us and MK Dons)
  • Louis Moult (Free Agent) (ST) - signed for Burton Albion
  • Kyle Lafferty (Free Agent) (ST) - signed for Anorthosis Famagusta - played with Alexander at Burnley
  • Ben Heneghan (AFC Wimbledon) (DF) - signed by Nick Daws for AFC Wimbledon
  • Connor Shields (pre-contract QoTS) (ST) - signed (3 yr)

25 names. Dunno, it genuinely doesn't feel like we've been quoted with an interest in as many as that.

Edited by capt_oats

Right this is really, really fucking dull but to the point of recruitment, no judgement on whether it's been good or not but here's a list of players we've either been linked with (vaguely or otherwise...in one very specific case completely made up) or reported to have had in on trial or have signed.
For the most part it's just names lifted from scrolling through Viva Motherwell's timeline but...it's quite a list (Confirmed signings in bold, trialists in italics):
  • Sofian Feghouli (Galatasaray S.K) (MF) [emoji38] 
  • Kevin Van Veen (Free Agent) (ST) - signed - played for Alexander at Scunthorpe (2 yr)
  • Shayon Harrison (Free Agent) (ST) - trialist - signed for Morecambe - scouted by Nick Daws for AFC Wimbledon
  • Ethan Robson (Blackpool) (MF) - signed for MK Dons (I refuse to believe this was a real link given the teams quoted as being interested were Rangers, us and MK Dons)
  • Kyle Lafferty (Free Agent) (ST) - signed for Anorthosis Famagusta - played with Alexander at Burnley
25 names. Dunno, it genuinely doesn't feel like we've been quoted with an interest in as many as that.
The Ash Taylor rumours were pretty ridiculous tbf.

I'm getting kind of pissed at SOD playing hardball with Arsenal, we need that money now so that we can make some more big money signings.
Screenshot_20210818-113205_Twitter.thumb.jpg.7947b663e3c410bb9c1df29d56bad39a.jpg
With the way Arsenal are being run at the moment I can believe they'd be daft enough to chuck £80k a week at SOD.

38 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
43 minutes ago, rowsdower said:
I'm getting kind of pissed at SOD playing hardball with Arsenal, we need that money now so that we can make some more big money signings.
Screenshot_20210818-113205_Twitter.thumb.jpg.7947b663e3c410bb9c1df29d56bad39a.jpg

With the way Arsenal are being run at the moment I can believe they'd be daft enough to chuck £80k a week at SOD.

Will there be a loan back for this season?

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

• Sofian Feghouli (Galatasaray S.K) (MF) :lol: 

Some interesting takes… clock ticking