Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

40 minutes ago, Swello said:

2000-odd of those will be public service YouTube highlight reels of obscure lower division English reserves.

Well, the thread has been running for 5 years so that works out at roughly 2.25 posts per day which feels marginally less tragic but even still...f**k.

Anyway, to the point of obscure lower division English league players. I noticed this article thrown up on a Twitter search.

DENNIS Politic is set to leave Wanderers on loan in the transfer window.

The highly-rated attacker has recently returned from a year out with a cruciate ligament injury and could be sent to the Scottish top flight until January to further his development.

“We think a lot of Dennis, he is a talented young man and I think he will be a big player for this club in the future but for now it is about aiding his development and getting him back up to speed.”

Evatt is keen to ensure that a club taking Politic – or any of his other younger players – in the next few weeks are playing the type of football which will help progress their game.

“We have got some options in Scotland, the SPL, and possibly around here as well so we want to aid players’ development and we will do the due diligence. This isn’t just about getting them out on loan to get them out of the way and play, it’s strategic,” he said.

“What team are they playing for, what way will they play, does it mirror what we do here, will it aid his development? It is all important.”

Link

Coincidentally Alexander had him on loan at Salford from Bolton.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

18 minutes ago, Richie said:

Daily Record today talking about a luxury tax and part of their article suggests that Motherwell (and St Mirren) had a wage to turnover ratio of over 70%
Surely this is bollocks?

Not at all, it was discussed a while back our wage to turnover ratio for the 19/20 season was about 85%. We turned a £346,690 profit that season.

The discussion in this thread is here.

The Swiss Ramble Twitter thread is here:

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Well, the thread has been running for 5 years so that works out at roughly 2.25 posts per day which feels marginally less tragic but even still...f**k.

Anyway, to the point of obscure lower division English league players. I noticed this article thrown up on a Twitter search.

Coincidentally Alexander had him on loan at Salford from Bolton.

giphy.gif

Didn't realise David Marshall had signed for Dover

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Glad to have O’hara back. He’s no world beater but is a useful player who’ll give us a few options to rotate the midfield. I imagine GA wouldn’t have had Donnelly playing as much as he has so far for example.

Genuinely interested as to how some base their thoughts on Mark O’Hara. Useful at what? You’re correct, he’s no world beater - is the midfield to be rotated just for fitness or offer improvement? I’m not quite sure Alexander would agree with your closing statement either - Crawford was regularly favoured over O’Hara when fit last season.

18 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Genuinely interested as to how some base their thoughts on Mark O’Hara. Useful at what? You’re correct, he’s no world beater - is the midfield to be rotated just for fitness or offer improvement? I’m not quite sure Alexander would agree with your closing statement either - Crawford was regularly favoured over O’Hara when fit last season.

Haha you can't stand O'Hara eh?

44 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Haha you can't stand O'Hara eh?

Just don’t get the hype. Offers little defensively having less discipline to protect the back 4 than those selected in front of him. Offensively? I’ve got it, some of our support’s penchant for those that run about a lot - when in reality he doesn’t  get us moving up the park at any rate and incapable of any creativity.

I've no strong opinion either way on O'Hara but I think it's fair to say that had he been available before now he'd at least have offered the opportunity for some rotation in the midfield.

However, as a long term solution I don't know...and I'm not even sure what he'd be the solution to. Asking where he fits in the side isn't exactly a new question and we're not the only support who have asked it.

As has often been said he doesn't have the discipline to hold down the DM position and I'm not sure his excitable puppy style translates into being effective in the other midfield positions.

A creator he is not.

Here's his record under Alexander last season. 10 appearances and managed the full game in 5 of them.

1879354317_ScreenShot2021-08-13at14_54_49.thumb.png.218781904b17aac6fa3dff4dcc138b75.png

O'Hara has the tendency to make the Lamie pass, where he just nonchalantly rolls the ball into an area where he decided someone should be. 

However, he does pop up with some handy goals, and wins headers. 

Edited by rowsdower

1 hour ago, rowsdower said:

O'Hara has the tendency to make the Lamie pass, where he just nonchalantly rolls the ball into an area where he decided someone should be. 

However, he does pop up with some handy goals, and wins headers. 

Aye, the boy's a paradox. Dangerous in really particular areas both for us and to us. 

Dragged us back into that fucking shitfest against St. Mirren in the cup by being an all action midfielder, also disappeared in various game by being a no-action midfielder. Nae idea.

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

I’ve got it, some of our support’s penchant for those that run about a lot - when in reality he doesn’t  get us moving up the park at any rate and incapable of any creativity.

Could’ve sworn you were talking about Grimmy here….

2 hours ago, Handsome John said:

Could’ve sworn you were talking about Grimmy here….

🤔 How so? Energy shouldn’t be confused with ‘running around a lot’… Grimshaw’s energy and ability to force us up the park has been a miss. Nor is he asked to be creative. 

Edited by Onthefringes

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

🤔 How so? Energy shouldn’t be confused with ‘running around a lot’… Grimshaw’s energy and ability to force us up the park has been a miss. Nor is he asked to be creative. 

O'hara might do a shift at fullback tbf. 

5 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Just don’t get the hype. Offers little defensively having less discipline to protect the back 4 than those selected in front of him. Offensively? I’ve got it, some of our support’s penchant for those that run about a lot - when in reality he doesn’t  get us moving up the park at any rate and incapable of any creativity.

Ach I’m not a fully fledged member of the O’hara fan club either but he’s had more positive performances than both Maguire and Crawford. Gets in my starting 11 when everyone’s fit on that basis. 

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Just seen my first "wake up soppy bollocks" of the season.

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Just seen my first "wake up soppy bollocks" of the season.

So good you read it twice.