Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

41 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Alexander sees him returning in a midfield role…

I know our midfield options aren't particularly great just now, but if someone is looking at it and saying, "you know what we need right now, Liam Grimshaw in there" then not for the first time, I feel like I'm watching a different sport. He seems like a good personality to have around the squad, and he certainly appears to be well liked by the, ahem, younger element of our support for a reason or two, but I can't see what he's offering.   

I suppose there's a reason a succession of Motherwell managers (providing Alexander follows suit) get him into the side and I need to pay to get into the stadium to watch the game every other week. 

Bad idea, he'd spend the rest of his career either boxed in or out of position.

Thing is, he's not even 30 yet. I keep forgetting that. 
A lot of wasted energy in his running style. Someone get Tom McKean over for a few sessions.

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

I don’t buy that at all. We certainly have missed his energy that pushed us up the park more so than we’re capable of just now.

Filled in at right back with relative success, I wouldn’t be surprised if Alexander sees him returning in a midfield role…

Wasn't a dig at Grimmy (although FWIW I don't think he is a better right back than SOD) - more with people's expectations.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I know our midfield options aren't particularly great just now, but if someone is looking at it and saying, "you know what we need right now, Liam Grimshaw in there" then not for the first time, I feel like I'm watching a different sport. He seems like a good personality to have around the squad, and he certainly appears to be well liked by the, ahem, younger element of our support for a reason or two, but I can't see what he's offering.   

I seem to remember he was very good at dribbling with the ball in a straight line, at reasonable pace but at the first hint of someone in his way he'd either lose it or blooter it over the opponents goal from 30 yards away.   I suppose you could call that 'direct', and therefore more entertaining than the 'pass it sideways or backwards several times' style (a style which is ok if we already have a lead and can pass well enough to keep possession, but sucks if we haven't and can't).   

I've got a bit of a soft spot for him tbh, so I'd like to see him back in the team again, but not at the expense of SOD. 

It'd be worth it if he scored though, that'd be something to see :)
Get well Grimmy!  

I find the abuse of SOD a bit weird. If he was better than he is, he wouldn't be playing for us now nor would he have signed for us in the first place. Similarly at the Euros, I didn't get why the vast majority of fans were getting on his back as though it was going to make him better or force the SFA to go out and sign a new RB. It's hardly going to bring out the best in an individual who through no fault of their own is the best option in a certain position. 

Yes he makes mistakes and is due the odd stinker of an afternoon (as all players at our level are entitled to, if you want to put it that way), but he offers plenty to more than balance that out imo.  400+ games worth of experience (is anyone else in our squad even close to that?), international exposure, decent defensively, offers an attacking option when he can, and doesn't bottle it whenever he fucks it up. The fact that some are honing in on him as this year's boo boy is just baffling to me.

2 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Did we just sell out the away tickets to the Dundee game? Every time I try the link it doesn't show up and I am logged into my season ticket account

Hit Tickets then All Events and Dundee is an option?

24 minutes ago, ropy said:

Hit Tickets then All Events and Dundee is an option?

Ah. The link redirected to the Motherwell Aberdeen match and I could only see the home match against Dundee. Managed to get it though.

Edited by Phillips455

5 hours ago, dezz said:

This is definitely a thing. The way he moves is quite odd, not very 'fluid' is maybe the best way I can describe it, but it definitely impacts my view of his performance when you see him looking all arthritic trundling up and down the right hand side. 

I always felt that Brian Wright moved like that.

Just saw that mcgregor handled the ball outside episode box for Rangers tonight and only got a yellow? That's bringing back flashbacks from the St Johnston game we're we had 3 sent off. I'm still a bit livid after that result.

Edited by Phillips455

20 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Just saw that mcgregor handled the ball outside episode box for Rangers tonight and only got a yellow?

Haven't seen the incident, but as far as I know the handball rules are no different for a keeper for than anyone else outside the box. Red for denying an "obvious goalscoring opportunity", yellow for stopping a "promising attack".

Edited by Gallus Numpty

48 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Just saw that mcgregor handled the ball outside episode box for Rangers tonight and only got a yellow? That's bringing back flashbacks from the St Johnston game we're we had 3 sent off. I'm still a bit livid after that result.

The raging *** face of Steven Lawless is what's annoying me

The raging *** face of Steven Lawless is what's annoying me

Heads gone at him being in the COVID cesspit. I’d have thought players would be banned from going to games given they’re still under stricter protocols than the rest of us.