Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

36 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I believe the narrative is that Clarke likes Motherwell because Stephen O'donnell played for Kilmarnock?

Probably just that, despite their cup double and European heroics last week the fermers are just, well, fermers and need to know their place, while Motherwell are obviously utter shaggers.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

WhoScored is a wild ride like, they had Shane Duffy in a bunch of times last season as well. I sense their algorithm needs some work.

Looks bang on to me this week. They've taken into account player performance ratings adding in that we are absolutely massive.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Chris Long and Chris Porter playing together for Crewe is frying my brain, I'm aware people are allowed to continue playing football once they leave Motherwell but it feels like there's been about 3 decades between their spells here.

They'd be some laugh on team nights out too.

So having watched through the highlights of Sunday's game, I'm not sure what I'm missing re: O'Donnell - was expecting a bomb scare performance based on some of the comments here and elsewhere. My thoughts:

-Goal saving clearance a few yards off the line in 1st half, under pressure from St Johnstone player

-tracked multiple runs from Stevie May to give Mugabi some support in the middle

-Long throw at the start of the 2nd half nearly sets up a goal

-Good cross to set up Watt in the last few minutes, who should have scored

For the OG, he was man-marking Muller at the back post and both Lamie and Woolery mistimed pretty regulation clearing headers - I don't think you can blame him for not expecting both to miss the ball completely when his focus is on staying goalside to his man. Having seen the Hibs game and some of the cup ties, my feeling is that Carroll has been much more of a liability on the left and that it seems SOD has been purposefully instructed to sit deeper (& slightly more central?) to help the centre backs by Alexander - looked like he checked runs quite a few times to stay level with the backline against both Hibs and St. Johnstone. So I'm a wee bit surprised by the criticism he's getting?

Happy to be corrected if he was utter shite in the sections of the St Johnstone game I didn't see though.

Edited by For Your Pies Only

23 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

St Mirren and Ross County apparently are interested in taking Matty Kennedy on loan from Aberdeen. Would you take him?

I’d quite like a proper winger as Watt and Shields are better through the middle.

#announceMatt

Is the story not that Kennedy actually played better for St Johnstone as a #10 or was that Drey Wright? Or neither and I've just totally made that shit up?

Tbh, I'd say our priorities are another midfielder (or two if there's a chance of some movement out) and a centre forward.

Edited by capt_oats

31 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

St Mirren and Ross County apparently are interested in taking Matty Kennedy on loan from Aberdeen. Would you take him?

I’d quite like a proper winger as Watt and Shields are better through the middle.

#announceMatt

Matty Kennedy is complete shite.

St Johnstone had the worst attack in the league when he was there and he was a regular disappointment in the Aberdeen side. Can't beat a man, can't really cross a ball.

Edit: Of course if we did sign him I am sure all his deficiencies were down the tactical mismanagement of currently unemployed Tommy Wrong and Deek McInnes.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

13 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Asking for a friend...  did anyone watching the International subscription MFC TV have a real problem with the streaming?  I.... errrrr ... hear the first two video players weren't working at all and the third was unwatchably choppy.  It could have been Opera browser's built-in VPN connection causing an issue, as it's worked ok until yesterday.   

Ended up listening to the UK commentary instead, and missed the equaliser

Sad The Lord Of The Rings GIF

My mate abroad had absolutely no issue with MFC TV.

I don't think Opera VPN is designed for video streaming. Your friend should buy a dedicated VPN like NordVPN

1 hour ago, For Your Pies Only said:

So having watched through the highlights of Sunday's game, I'm not sure what I'm missing re: O'Donnell - was expecting a bomb scare performance based on some of the comments here and elsewhere. My thoughts:

-Goal saving clearance a few yards off the line in 1st half, under pressure from St Johnstone player

-tracked multiple runs from Stevie May to give Mugabi some support in the middle

For the OG, he was man-marking Muller at the back post and both Lamie and Woolery mistimed pretty regulation clearing headers - I don't think you can blame him for not expecting both to miss the ball completely when his focus is on staying goalside to his man. Having seen the Hibs game and some of the cup ties, my feeling is that Carroll has been much more of a liability on the left and that it seems SOD has been purposefully instructed to sit deeper (& slightly more central?) to help the centre backs by Alexander - looked like he checked runs quite a few times to stay level with the backline against both Hibs and St. Johnstone. So I'm a wee bit surprised by the criticism he's getting?

Happy to be corrected if he was utter shite in the sections of the St Johnstone game I didn't see though.

Agreed. Along my thinking but couldn't be arsed typing it out. As others have alluded to, the fact he's an established Scotland player has no doubt put extra emphasis on any mistake he makes. He is a good fullback for this level and anyone calling for Grimshaw is having a laugh imo

Stream has been fine for me for quite some time, and I live in deliverance country. The last issues I had with the stream were in the early games of last season. I could have done with it being shite a few times mind. 

Guest superward
7 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

My mate abroad had absolutely no issue with MFC TV.

I don't think Opera VPN is designed for video streaming. Your friend should buy a dedicated VPN like NordVPN

My friend  also agrees with this. 

Last seven or so pages of the Hearts-St. Mirren thread are highly entertaining.

Anything is going to be more interesting than our thread for the st Johnstone game. What an odd bunch, bet they don’t even like pakora.

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Is the story not that Kennedy actually played better for St Johnstone as a #10 or was that Drey Wright? Or neither and I've just totally made that shit up?

Best he played for us was as a 10, in a 4-2-3-1, playing off Watt...

9 hours ago, For Your Pies Only said:

The analytics show O'Donnell was one of our best players v St Johnstone.   

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

The analytics show O'Donnell was one of our best players v St Johnstone.   

Watching the full 90 minutes of the game on the TV says different, weatherspoon had him on toast all the time, granted he was doubled up on regularly, however was far too easily beaten at times. Never tight enough to his man, doesn’t have that nastiness or aggression that Carroll does which I like when used the correct way. SoD is a decent player for this level but sundays performance and a good few from last season have been too regular and very poor performances, the goal isn’t his fault really but his overall performance was miles off it.