Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 02/08/2021 at 10:46, Casagolda said:

Some chat at the game yesterday one of the players we were/are sniffing about was Robbie Gotts of Leeds.

No idea if true but he fits a similar profile to Slattery so would at least make sense in that regard, plus it would be strange name to randomly pluck from nowhere.   

On 05/08/2021 at 14:37, gullane said:

Who started this rumour? Is there anything in it?

Noticed it's now being reported by Alan Nixon this morning...

Story I got telt is that Leeds want a permanent deal but there's a few other teams chasing him, so it's not an easy or straight forward deal to do. Similar could be said for Slattery right enough though and we got that one done I suppose.

But aye, seems like there might have been something in it.

10 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Story I got telt is that Leeds want a permanent deal but there's a few other teams chasing him, so it's not an easy or straight forward deal to do. Similar could be said for Slattery right enough though and we got that one done I suppose.

Where abouts did he report it this morning? 

12 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I see NTOF are recycling the Nixon story: https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/motherwell-register-interest-in-leeds-united-midfielder-robbie-gotts/

Also a mention here and here.

He was on loan at Salford last season so you'd imagine they'd be favourites for him if he's not looking to re-locate.

I see the Daily Record has been carrying a story about Ojala being told nice things about the club by Valakari. They then go on to say he's in the squad for the St. Johnstone game having had to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days.

He maybe did have to quarantine but he was a sub against Hibs and warming up right in front of me.

If we managed to sign Gotts that’s another top quality signing and real statement of intent from us this year. Without the biased Motherwell glasses on he’d be getting a lot more down at Salford etc and keeps him in the English game. However all he has to do is look at the likes of players that have came to us and went on to much bigger things and as sad as it is the possibility of the ugly 2 and a crack at European football.

I got slaughtered for saying I’d prefer Tait over him any day and I stand by it. I honestly don’t see the appeal of O’Donnell.

Got to hope we have some bodies coming in for the next game as what we have at the moment just isn’t going to do. 

Edited by Allroy for Prez

51 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I got slaughtered for saying I’d prefer Tait over him any day and I stand by it. I honestly don’t see the appeal of O’Donnell.

When it was Tait, at his Motherwell prime I agree, He couldn't get a head of Liam Grimshaw he was done.

I think we need to remember that the team are still coming together. That front 3 have never played together and Slattery is only playing his 2nd game up here, and playing beside a guy who has had a full year out on the treatment table. I wont be making any judgements until we've played at least 10 games.

In contrast, St Johnstone have a settled side and theyve been settled for years now. Wotherspoon, Craig, Davidson, May, OHalloran , McCann all played for them for years and theyve a very settled defence as well. Won both cups and just took a draw away to galatasaray...they're a good side.

That said, I hate the formation we play, 3 up front with no real width and players that dont look comfy playing wide of a striker...the midfield 3 are so narrow and that will only work if the full backs are competent going forward.

We can't afford to carry Donnelly and Maguire in that midfield. Maguire is improving, but he's getting overrun. Donnelly is miles from being match sharp, and it's going to take more than a couple of games after being out so long. 

However, until we bring in more bodies they're legit the best options we have. I could maybe see an argument for ohara in for Maguire when fit, bit I don't thing that adds too much. Slattery looms like a good signing, if we can get someone else with a similar pedigree I think we'll be OK. 

The front 3 need to work their arses off in the 433, and Watt is a big part of that. I hope today was just a case of getting shields some minutes and giving Watt a rest, as he needs to start most games.

Oh, and leaving us seemed to work wonders for Tait and Hartley's reputations. Two players who struggled to get a game for us in their last season most likely wouldn't get a game for us now either. 

Edited by rowsdower

9 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

We can't afford to carry Donnelly and Maguire in that midfield. Maguire is improving, but he's getting overrun. Donnelly is miles from being match sharp, and it's going to take more than a couple of games after being out so long. 

However, until we bring in more bodies they're legit the best options we have. I could maybe see an argument for ohara in for Maguire when fit, bit I don't thing that adds too much. Slattery looms like a good signing, if we can get someone else with a similar pedigree I think we'll be OK. 

The front 3 need to work their arses off in the 433, and Watt is a big part of that. I hope today was just a case of getting shields some minutes and giving Watt a rest, as he needs to start most games.

Oh, and leaving us seemed to work wonders for Tait and Hartley's reputations. Two players who struggled to get a game for us in their last season most likely wouldn't get a game for us now either. 

Prime Tait was an excellent player for us, he wasn’t particularly displaced by Grimmy it was just anytime Grimmy played we were winning and we had a real good solid team that year and a consistent team selection, IIRC Tait had to actually cover for Carroll at the start of the season after he got sent off and ultimately Grimmy was playing well, wasn’t that he wasn’t good enough. Would Tait and SOD do much difference of a job currently I don’t think not, he seemed to be an above average player for Steve Clarke but he’s slowly regressing and making many mistakes that are costing us games, he is a decent player for this level and it seems to be a curse for some players of being a captain, I’d be inclined to give it to Kelly and let players like SoD talk on the park without the extra responsibility.

It's worth remembering how poor Grimmy was at RB at the start of last season and that's the reason we were desperate for O'Donnell in the 1st place. 

I think SOD is 100% bang average but he's 100% our best RB. Hopefully we can get Grimshaw back soon though to allow young Max Johnston out on loan possibly. 

Without wanting to white knight SOD barring his suspension last season he's been playing week in, week out since he arrived including the 3 games through the Euros then chucked straight back in to the LC games after about 10 days off (compared to the month or so the rest of the squad had).

Agree with @well fan for life the international position skews things and for the most part he's a decent right back for us without ever looking spectacular and that's...fine?

The problem is at the moment we clearly don't have anyone to switch him out for. We saw the reaction when Airdrie cuffed us so I can understand Alexander's reluctance to chuck Johnston in for the LOLZ.

Getting Grimmy back would be welcome in so much as it'd at least given us that option. Indeed Grimmy's most consistent season for us was when he made the position his own and bumped Tait onto the bench. I've no idea if this was actually the case or not but it felt like his form started to noticeably dip when he was effectively first choice and there was zero competition.

O'donnells game gets way over analyzed compared to many others on our team, and it was the same for scotland. He's a good right back at our level, and will have good games and bad games. The current formation leaves our full backs exposed  with a lot of heavy lifting to do. We need to do something to reduce the number of crosses that come into our box, and our full backs getting constantly doubled up on doesn't help that.

Some cover/competition for places will be helpful, and that's probably going to be grimmy and johnston, as I doubt we will use up budget on a back up right back.