Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'd guess it's the boy Livi had in on trial earlier in the summer that's popped up as a mutual on a few player's IG.
In fact KVV shared his post on his IG stories on Sunday, it's where I noticed him.
If it's the same guy he's a centre back and was released by Arsenal in the summer.

We’ve had more than enough Livi rejects already.

50 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd guess it's the boy Livi had in on trial earlier in the summer that's popped up as a mutual on a few player's IG.

In fact KVV shared his post on his IG stories on Sunday, it's where I noticed him.

If it's the same guy he's a centre back and was released by Arsenal in the summer.

Joseph Olowu, followed good few of our players on insta...

Edited by supermarv

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Simply the classiest club in Scotland. Commitment to working and helping in the community just continually impresses more and more.

£60k raised by the fans is a great amount. Matched by the club, so £120k (obvs) worth of free season books to give out. At a rough guess, that's between 300-400 ? Outstanding. 

17 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Simply the classiest club in Scotland. Commitment to working and helping in the community just continually impresses more and more.

£60k raised by the fans is a great amount. Matched by the club, so £120k (obvs) worth of free season books to give out. At a rough guess, that's between 300-400 ? Outstanding. 

It is a fantastic initiative.

However I was thinking about how they will manage the 500+ or so available season tickets. By that I mean you would like to think or hope that those who are successful actually attend the games. Hard enough sometimes to get season ticket holders who have paid to come along ! 

If successful we should see an upturn on our average home attendance by a good few hundred 👏

Edited by welldaft

37 minutes ago, scmwell said:

That’s my thinking no point giving them out if they ain’t getting used. Hopefully the club will monitor them and make sure they get used.

While it’s probably optimistic at best to believe all those receiving the tickets will actually attend if only a portion go on to support the club longer term it’s still worthwhile.

I mean, aye. Obviously each individual application will be judged on its own merits, but priority could maybe be given to previous ticket holders who have lapsed due to a change in circumstances, and those who can somehow prove a history of attendance.

Of course, there will also be those who are fans of the club, but may always have been in a position of hardship whereby affording to go to the football has never been an option. A free season book and the chance to experience live football every other week, and the sense of community and belonging that brings at a place like Fir Park could be massive for their mental well-being and esteem. This is what the whole ethos of this initiative is all about.

There will always be the odd chancer who tries to take advantage, solely to have a ticket for when certain teams come to town. Hopefully the majority of these clowns can be weeded out so the tickets end up in the hands of those who are most deserving.

I'm sure the club will handle it delicately, but the idea of means testing it does seem a bit out of sync with the ethos of the scheme. I'm not suggesting folk can just rock up at the ticket office, say "free season ticket please" and be on their way but I'd equally hope we aren't interrogating them to find out quite how destitute they are.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm sure the club will handle it delicately, but the idea of means testing it does seem a bit out of sync with the ethos of the scheme. I'm not suggesting folk can just rock up at the ticket office, say "free season ticket please" and be on their way but I'd equally hope we aren't interrogating them to find out quite how destitute they are.

Aye, the club will probably be relying heavily on the tickets being uptaken in the spirit with which the initiative is intended. People who would genuinely love to, but ordinarily would be unable to afford it, getting along every other Saturday to see some donkey defender taken to the woodshed by big KVV. 

Don't know if they could maybe stipulate that a certain percentage of games must be attended on a rolling basis in order to keep the tickets active.

52 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Difficult situation to put ourselves in, but fair play to the club for putting it in place in the first place, hopefully it’s taken advantage of though by those who need it and we get to see a much more packed Fir Park, it’s one of my favourite sights seeing Fir Park full/ near full and in good voice. Hopefully any tickets not picked up means the money goes back into the club to pay big Van Veens goal bonus.

Random question, a wee query...

See when you first took yer weans to Fir Park, what age were they?

In all honesty, I've not been to the fitba with any regularity since the 2011/ 2012 season...just circumstances and life, I guess, the odd game aside...but I'm desperate to get back just now, especially to take the wee boy, but he's only 4 this coming Tuesday and I'm not sure if he's too young just now.

Last few seasons, never felt I was missing anything, but the buzz for this season is grabbing me and I'm keen to get back...get me a KVV shirt...😆

Edited by KirkySuperSub

Took my daughter to her first game when she'd not long started primary school and she was interested and paid attention right from the start. I remember her first game was a midweek 1-0 win against Dunfermline with Derek Adams scoring a penalty. We were in the main stand that night and she had a wee notebook with her to write (scribble) down goalscorers etc, and she was really interested in the games from the off.

On the other hand, we started taking my nephew along when he was of a similar age, but for the first couple of years he was there solely for his hot dog,  cola and a run up and down the stairs of the Cooper Stand !! I think it's pretty much just take them along to a game and see how they go. An hr and a half of concentrating on a game is obviously a lot for them at that kimd of age and they gradually become accustomed to it at their own pace.

1 hour ago, KirkySuperSub said:

In all honesty, I've not been to the fitba with any regularity since the 2011/ 2012 season...just circumstances and life, I guess, the odd game aside...but I'm desperate to get back just now, especially to take the wee boy, but he's only 4 this coming Tuesday and I'm not sure if he's too young just now.

Last few seasons, never felt I was missing anything, but the buzz for this season is grabbing me and I'm keen to get back...get me a KVV shirt...😆

Ma daughters had a season ticket fae she was 3 months old.

Don't get me wrong she's only 17 months noo and it came free with mine but she's no' been yet.

First instance I canny get childcare she's coming along.

I would have been about 9 for my first game, and my oldest would have been 3ish when I first took him, when Gretna were sharing the sand pit with us. He just ran about with a Capri sun. His next game was the Flamurtari one at Airdrie, and he wasn't the slightest bit interested either. He did get more into it at the last scottish cup final, his 3rd game. 

The middle one is a girl, and football is for boys*

I had hopes of getting my youngest (4) into it this year, but our move back home got scrapped, so he'll need to wait. He is vaguely aware that football is a thing, but calls all sports baseball.  I don't think me swearing at my laptop before everyone wakes up is endearing anyone to the game.

*joke

9 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I've lived away since the eighties, and my kids were born elsewhere, so by the time I took my eldest boy along on his first trip to Fir Park during one of my own rare forays there he was maybe 10. It was a midweek Celtic game: Lee McCulloch scored for us, and Celtic had a perfectly good goal ruled out when the ball (which looked at least a foot over) was ruled not to have crossed the line. We had a perfect view of it from right behind the goal and I didn't think he'd been paying that much attention up until that point, but he laughed like a drain about it for the rest of the game, and all the way home, and still talks about it to this day.

8 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

We were in the main stand that night and she had a wee notebook with her to write (scribble) down goalscorers etc, and she was really interested in the games from the off.

There's a St Johnstone equivalent of this story that sees a 3-year old @RandomGuy. armed with a set of A4 ring binders and one of these sets of 100 coloured pencils from Lakeland 😉

Took our eldest to the Accies game (Nadir...oooft) just before the Cup Final.  He thought it was actually the final and I didn't dissuade him of the notion.  Went better than I expected - he was just going into P1 after the summer.  The next season I took him more regularly and it was hit and miss.  His developing love of Midget Gems helped but he's clearly not missed the experience during the pandemic and didn't fancy it on Sunday.  

His younger brother got really into football during the Euros so he went for the first time (5 as well) on Sunday and enjoyed it (restricted view seat notwithstanding).  It's funny what they get excited about though...the sprinklers at half time were a particular highlight for him.