Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

James Scott was very much still a “potential” player when he left us and he’s not played football since. I would like to have him back, but I wouldn’t push the boat out for someone who’s not close to being the finished article. 

Is he worth £1k a week and forgoing our sell on? Yes. Is he worth £3k a week and an undisclosed fee? Absolutely not.

8 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

James Scott was very much still a “potential” player when he left us and he’s not played football since. I would like to have him back, but I wouldn’t push the boat out for someone who’s not close to being the finished article. 

Is he worth £1k a week and forgoing our sell on? Yes. Is he worth £3k a week and an undisclosed fee? Absolutely not.

Aye. I'd absolutely take him ahead of Lawleff and probably Amaluzor (Shields tbc). But would I be breaking the bank for him? Not in a million years. 

30 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Aye, are we going to give Hull their money back and match what they're paying Scott or even close to it? Absolutely not. 

Is it worth our while giving up some of our extras in order to help him to help them to help us in a bigger picture? Probably.

We still have some skin in the game and a vested interest in him doing well given we have extras and a sell on built into his deal at Hull.

Equally, as McCann says, the club paid £1m for him and he's still viewed as an asset so I'm not sure how it's in their interests to just give him away with 2 years left on his deal. Realistically are Hull going to recoup the cool million they paid us given how little he's played? Probably not. They'd be lucky to even get half that.

So as it stands our sell on is pretty much worthless (as the % due for Kipré proved to be due to Wigan's administration).

I honestly keep forgetting that we've signed Shields but even then I think Sunday showed that we're still probably one body short up front and the fact that loosely speaking Lawless' most productive performances have come playing as a #10 (albeit against lower league opposition) probably pushes him out of the 'forward' category.

Assuming Scott hasn't just completely chucked it after getting paid then a potential front three of him, Van Veen and Watt could be a lot of fun. It'd also give Woolery a bit of time to get used to the game up here and Shields an opportunity to be introduced gradually.

Fwiw, the whole McNulty thing was clearly a wind up on the part of a Tranmere fan it was just kismet that we'd had a bit about The Wire on the go. That said, both he and Scott fit squarely in the bracket of player that Alexander has referenced that we've been hanging around waiting on ie: those who might be surplus to requirement with their club in England (see also Gotts, Robbie).

Edited by capt_oats

I'm quite on board the Robbie Gotts hype train as well btw, even though the links are as minimal as they come. The reaction under that Motherwell Talk page on twitter from Leeds fan's was very encouraging, almost every response was 'what a player'

I'm interested in both options here. Pakora pie: Some pakora in a pastry case, maybe with pakora sauce mixed in. Pie Pakora: a pakora made out of pie meat and pastry bits. There's no way neither of these things exist. 

I might order some pies and give it a go. 

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Fwiw, the whole McNulty thing was clearly a wind up on the part of a Tranmere fan it was just kismet that we'd had a bit about The Wire on the go. That said, both he and Scott fit squarely in the bracket of player that Alexander has referenced that we've been hanging around waiting on ie: those who might be surplus to requirement with their club in England (see also Gotts, Robbie).

I actually heard it was a discussion that took place.

Not sure when and whether we now have other targets in mind. As I said I think his wages would be a stumbling block. No way would we pay £4k per week. Not only that he only scored a handful of goals for Dundee United in over 20+ appearances. 

41 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I'm interested in both options here. Pakora pie: Some pakora in a pastry case, maybe with pakora sauce mixed in. Pie Pakora: a pakora made out of pie meat and pastry bits. There's no way neither of these things exist. 

I might order some pies and give it a go. 

I once got garlic bread pakora in a munchie box which was no great tbh. Incredibly stodgy.