Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I want the horse announcement video more than I want the player. 

There was a time not so long ago when I thought signing that horse would have improved our squad :D 

However, I have closely examined the horse, and his thighs aren't as powerful as Jimmie's, so that would have been a poor move.
#dodgedabullet #whatadonkey 

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I wasn't fully in the Jimmy Scott/Jordan Roberts camp before Sunday but I am now. I think Woolery, Amaluzor and Lawless all have something to offer (probably in descending order of usefulness) but you could definitely tell we lacked a quality forward option off the bench in the second half.

I thought woolery had a really good game and think he’ll be a huge part of the starting XI this season. Really powerful and pacy player exactly what we need, maybe just improve his decision making at times.

Also grimmy was back today in what seems a bounce game anyway any ideas how it went?

Edited by supermarv

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm sure I seen Shields mentioned from some of the folk that apparently just hang about Dalziel Park all day.

Strange I seen him at Hamilton racing on Saturday night with a sling on, maybe just a slight knock perhaps 

4 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Strange I seen him at Hamilton racing on Saturday night with a sling on, maybe just a slight knock perhaps 

What was in the sling, it’s a hamstring injury isn’t it?

My guess would be that he was smuggling in Indian tastie bites.

Edited by ropy

If they're looking to sell him and get back some of their investment then you would think a loan deal down south would be Hull's preference as it would put him in the shop window.

Hull want to sell him. It’s something to do with squad list numbers and if they loaned him he’d still count. f**k knows what rules they have down there.

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

Hull want to sell him. It’s something to do with squad list numbers and if they loaned him he’d still count. f**k knows what rules they have down there.

This is something that I didn't really get. Like, aside from whether or not we were/are interested:

“James Scott’s a big asset for the football club, he’s 20 years of age,

“The club spent a million pounds on him and he’s had a really bad time because of injury, there’s absolutely no point in us loaning him out because he’d count in our numbers.

“Scotty’s here and he’s pushing really hard to try and force his way in.”

Link

It just seemed weird. Until I remembered that Hull are one of the clubs who are working under an EFL embargo...which explains a lot.

"In essence, while the framework of their embargo may be broadly similar to their Championship rivals, there are key differences which have allowed McCann to make the additions he has.

Currently, City have a squad of 24 senior players and while Jordan Flores has since left to join Northampton Town on loan for the remainder of his MKM Stadium contract, under the generic terms of embargo umbrella, he would still be counted as a player of professional standing – the definition of which is any player who has made a first team appearance, either from the start or off the bench, not including the EFL Trophy.

Those rules stipulate a squad cannot contain more than 23 players, and in order for that to be reduced, players would need to be sold or have their contract terminated, as the club have done this week with James Berry.

Incidentally, while classed as an Under-23 player, Berry would be deemed a player of 'professional standing' having made his Tigers debut at Blackburn Rovers last year.

It’s understood James Scott is close to a move away from the club, but unless it was permanent, he would still be counted, though the likelihood is that McCann will have to shuffle his pack in order to accommodate new arrivals which he hopes to do before the season kicks off at Deepdale in a little over three weeks."

Link

What that actually achieves IDK...

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

If we have to pay a small fortune for James Scott I am not sure I would.

I would not pay anything. His wages would be on the high side. I mean it is one thing Hull wanting rid and another Jimmy taking a 50% drop on wages when he still has 1-2 years left on a lucrative contract. 

I would take him back if a loan option was a thing. The rumour about Marc McNulty did not seem to gather legs as he is another player who is on around £6-8k per week iirc from Dundee United forums. Reading would want at least half those wages met you would assume. 

We have paid fees for Slattery, Kelly and AN other. Cannot recall. I actually would worry about us overextending ourselves if Jimmy and / or McNulty materialise.  Would be amazing and the squad depth would be quite something. 

Still think we need another CB. First game back in a while but I felt Mugabi escaped criticism for his sclaffed clearance that resulted in the winning penalty. Lamie and Mugabi are decent enough squad players. I would only want one of the two to start at most however. 

Think you're being a bit unfair on O'Connor. There may be something about him especially if guided by an international captain beside him, Mugabi too. Our other Leicester academy signing did OK when talked through the game.

So it seems its in Hull's interest to get Jimmy off the books, as we're due a sell on then maybe they'd be willing to do a deal. Still only 20, definite sell on potential, take the hit on the wage and nominal transfer in the hope he gets another move in a year? Certainly seems the approach we've went for with Slattery and Kelly. Hull must know they won't be able to sell him as it stands.

If he does return in any capacity it leaves me wondering what happens to Tony Watt. Form so far has been average and below last year. I think GA favours Woolery for his pace. Impact sub for a guy who pretty much dragged us through the second half of the season?

Guest superward
4 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Think you're being a bit unfair on O'Connor. There may be something about him especially if guided by an international captain beside him, Mugabi too. Our other Leicester academy signing did OK when talked through the game.

So it seems its in Hull's interest to get Jimmy off the books, as we're due a sell on then maybe they'd be willing to do a deal. Still only 20, definite sell on potential, take the hit on the wage and nominal transfer in the hope he gets another move in a year? Certainly seems the approach we've went for with Slattery and Kelly. Hull must know they won't be able to sell him as it stands.

If he does return in any capacity it leaves me wondering what happens to Tony Watt. Form so far has been average and below last year. I think GA favours Woolery for his pace. Impact sub for a guy who pretty much dragged us through the second half of the season?

If the plan is to go with 3 up top then we probably need another forward.

When you looked at the bench on Saturday to change one of Watt/KVV/Woolery it was only Amaluzor or Lawless who could slot in. 

So bringing in Scott/another forward is something I hope to see. Add in Shields and then you've genuinely not 4 or 5 battling for a starting berth which is a good place to be.

Specifially on Watt, I think GA sees his worth. 

Edited by superward

If he is on £5k a week, I'm not happy to have him as a bench warmer to play 30 mins tops. That sort of money a player has to be an assured starter and have to back it up with performances at our level.

Therefore as a starter, who do you drop?

Guest superward
13 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

If he is on £5k a week, I'm not happy to have him as a bench warmer to play 30 mins tops. That sort of money a player has to be an assured starter and have to back it up with performances at our level.

Therefore as a starter, who do you drop?

Can't see us paying 5k a week in any shape or form to bring James Scott back. So I don't think it's one to really worry about on that front. 

If he returns I'd see him as an option to challenge for one of the wide berths rather than a nailed on starter. 

On Watt - he could play less if someone does come in and grabs the opportunity. But I think Tony has enough in him to continue to be a regular starter....more #lovely back heels like the other day please Tony boy! Watt for me is best through the middle, or sitting behind the striker as a 10. GA seems to revert to the latter when we are chasing the game. He dropped KVV in there and has played Lawless there too. That position is made for oor Tony.

Edited by superward

Guest superward
6 hours ago, welldaft said:

I would not pay anything. His wages would be on the high side. I mean it is one thing Hull wanting rid and another Jimmy taking a 50% drop on wages when he still has 1-2 years left on a lucrative contract. 

I would take him back if a loan option was a thing. The rumour about Marc McNulty did not seem to gather legs as he is another player who is on around £6-8k per week iirc from Dundee United forums. Reading would want at least half those wages met you would assume. 

We have paid fees for Slattery, Kelly and AN other. Cannot recall. I actually would worry about us overextending ourselves if Jimmy and / or McNulty materialise.  Would be amazing and the squad depth would be quite something. 

Still think we need another CB. First game back in a while but I felt Mugabi escaped criticism for his sclaffed clearance that resulted in the winning penalty. Lamie and Mugabi are decent enough squad players. I would only want one of the two to start at most however. 

Agree on your points on Lamie and Mugabi. I'll give Mugabi a pass for his sclaf because it was his first game in ages but I definitely won't cope mentally if I have to regularly watch those two as a pairing. Hopefully big Finn is good and it's deciding who to pair with him.

2 hours ago, dezz said:

There’s yer Gary Neville admitting he made an arse of it last year when he sacked Alexander at Salford. Unlucky Gary, thanks though.

Wait until Neville finds out that they haven't signed Kevin Van Veen.