Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Youth product, let on good terms, seems a genuinely affable guy, top European goalscorer.

Reading some of the comments above it appears even Iain St John would have got a "f**k you ya Scouse p***k".

Interested to know which former player would get clapped off the pitch in some of your eyes?

I booed him because I enjoy the panto.

7 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Interested to know which former player would get clapped off the pitch in some of your eyes?

Anyone that's lashed in an OG from 40 yards.

I'm really just... not arsed about Jamie Murphy? He seems like a nice guy that I don't think has ever done anything to rile us for either Rangers or Hibs? Equally though, he doesn't really hold the same place in my heart that some of the other early 2010s contingent do- Higdon, Ojamaa, Lionel etc.

Just an above average Motherwell player who done us a good turn that I forget exists until he's playing against us.

Edit- if it isn't obvious from the above fence sitting, I didn't clap or boo.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

I appreciate that there might be an element of panto about it, but booing Murphy at this stage of his career seems kind of... snidey? As a few folk above have mentioned, he looks off the pace now and likely only has a few years left in him (if that) at this level - it's not like he's just moved to a rival recently or was playing a blinder against us today.

Not saying we should be giving him a lap of honour at the end of the game or anything, but he was a good servant to the club who came through the youth ranks and more than earned his move down south - just seems petty to be booing a former player who left (on good terms) nearly 8 years ago.

Guest superward
7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd be up for booing Tait. Not because I have anything massively against him but I get the feeling it would really annoy him.

See, that is one I can get behind. Very disappointed in the way he left and comments made. 

Whilst we are on boo/cheer situations. Had to laugh when people booed the Hibs fan numbers announcements. BOOOO.

Edited by superward

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I booed him. More cos folk were clapping him though. I Dunno why anyone would clap him. He never really did anything of significance for us.

That is a bit harsh. For one thing is he not our top scorer in European football ? 

I would boo a former player if he was an asshole when he left or when he was away.  Murphy imho does not fall into either category. 

Of more importance was the performance. Before the game I thought Hibs would win comfortably. I felt we matched them for 70 minutes and then ran out of steam. Understandable when you consider many of our players were either coming back from injury or not played much football. Hibs had virtually same team as last season. They also have a better squad but I was pleasantly surprised. 

Van Veen was just superb. Cannot remember last time I was so in awe of a Motherwell players league debut. His touch was a joy to watch. I doubt he will replicate that every week but even if he gets close….

Woolery for me was a bit of a disappointment. He has pace and power but at the moment is choosing wrong options more often than not. Should have done better when through on goal. 

SODs imho had a great game. Unlucky with penalty but that was his best performance for a while. Hope he can maintain it. 

Slattery was decent but will hopefully get better with more game time. 

Kelly is Kelly. No chance with penalty but save form Murphy I think was equal to a goal. It was a fantastic save. He should be in the next Scotland squad ahead of Rangers reserve goalie 😡.

All in all disappointed with the result. But overall impressed with what I saw and effort from players. 

A couple of tough away games coming up but hopefully we can pick up some points to kickstart the campaign. 

Edited by welldaft

I have no strong feelings either way about Murphy tbh. 

On the game, was fairly pleased with our performance. Considering the lack of football for several of our players, the players missing and those still come in there’s enough to be positive about. 

Slattery just looks a lovely footballer, at least 3 times yesterday he took a Hibs player right out the game with a drop of the shoulder/deft first touch. Always a positive touch too, head up and looking forward as well- reminded me a bit of Nicky Law in that respect. Given he’s about 3 or 4 weeks behind the rest of the squad I thought it was a very encouraging performance before he tired. 

Van Veen was unplayable at times, not expecting that every week but he look like he’ll be great value. The bit in the 2nd half where he flicked the ball past the Hibs player and then left Porteous on his arse as well had be me positively purring. His through ball for Woolery was sublime as well- massive turning point as I think we take at least a point if that goes in. 

With Donnelly/Slattery getting fitter, Ojala getting up to speed and if we can potentially add a few more shrewd additions, I think we can be reasonably confident about the season ahead. 

Edited by Casagolda

5 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

On the game, was fairly pleased with our performance. Considering the lack of football for several of our players, the players missing and those still come in there’s enough to be positive about. 

Slattery just looks a lovely footballer, at least 3 times yesterday he took a Hibs player right out the game with a drop of the shoulder/deft first touch. Always a positive touch too, head up and looking forward as well- reminded me a bit of Nicky Law in that respect. Given he’s about 3 or 4 weeks behind the rest of the squad I thought it was a very encouraging performance before he tired. 

Van Veen was unplayable, not expecting that every week but he look like he’ll be great value. The bit in the 2nd half where he flicked the ball past the Hibs player and then left Porteous on his arse as well had be me positively purring. His through ball for Woolery was sublime as well- massive turning point as I think we take at least a point if that goes in. 

With Donnelly/Slattery getting fitter, Ojala getting up to speed and if we can potentially add a few more shrewd additions, I think we can be reasonably confident about the season ahead. 

I think most comments involve salivating over Van Vane and Slattery. I concur. If Ojala turns out to be a solid CB, Kelly in goals, then we have a solid spine to the team. There was so much entertainment on show yesterday, did anyone else notice that Barry Maguire put in what was possibly his best performance ever?

I’ve never felt so high after an opening day 3-2 defeat. 

I was at both LC games in upper South but to be allocated a seat not far from my ST seat in PO stand with my Da and Brother beside, yesterday was just on another level.

Fully expected a pumping based on the LC performances but the dynamics of having a big crowd, playing a team who weren’t happy to sit back and proper players turning up like Van Veen, Slattery, Mugabi etc showed maybe just maybe 10th place isn’t the best we can hope for. 

Saw some wild comments pre match about O’Connor should’ve been getting nod ahead of Lamie. He was solid enough in the LC but for an opening day game on TV, decent crowd and partnering Mugabi who hadn’t played 90mins for months might’ve crushed the guy. That might be unfair and hope he comes good but thought Lamie was decent enough until big Finn comes in. 

14 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Motherwell fans: clapping Jamie Murphy off the park.
Same Motherwell fans: leaving before the end.

Absolute footie pyjama wearing bedwetters.

We’re going to be fine this year, little bit box office tae. We just need a coupla extra bodies to have any sort of plan B option as I’m fairly sure KVV as an attacking mid isn’t ideal.

All things considered Bevis was very good, looking forward to seeing him and Ojala.

I clapped him off the park, mainly to drown out the boos, and had to leave with 5 to go so a good chance this was me. Dinner plans were made long before this game was in the Calendar, Had to beat the traffic. Hope that is okay with you?

anyway, I hope you had a nice day all the same.

Edited by Neil86

14 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Motherwell fans: clapping Jamie Murphy off the park.
Same Motherwell fans: leaving before the end.

Absolute footie pyjama wearing bedwetters.

We’re going to be fine this year, little bit box office tae. We just need a coupla extra bodies to have any sort of plan B option as I’m fairly sure KVV as an attacking mid isn’t ideal.

All things considered Bevis was very good, looking forward to seeing him and Ojala.

The booing of Murphy was an absolute shambles - I'd have been up for booing Cadden, but Murphy was a good player for us, never engineered a move away, scored some very important goals, speaks highly of the club at every opportunity...the booing was really pathetic to be honest.

On the actual fitba, as others have said, I have seldom came away from a defeat absolutely buzzing. We deserved something from the game, I think we are going to be entertaining to watch and if we continue in that manner we will be absolutely fine. 

Kevin Van Veen is going to be a handful for every defence this season, some of the stuff he was doing was ridiculous 

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Van Veen was unplayable at times, not expecting that every week but he look like he’ll be great value. The bit in the 2nd half where he flicked the ball past the Hibs player and then left Porteous on his arse as well had be me positively purring. His through ball for Woolery was sublime as well- massive turning point as I think we take at least a point if that goes in. 

+1 on the Slattery / Nicky Law comparison. He gave us an element of composure and control in the midfield that we've not had for a while and we kind of dropped out the game in that area of the park when he went off.

The fact that he was happy enough to cut about the park putting Hibs players on their arses was a welcome sight as one of my concerns was him coming from predominantly u23s level at Southampton and adjusting to the physical side of the game up here. In that respect he looked fine.

I said it in the match thread but overall it's a sair yin given we were up twice but given the circumstances (half a new team, players still out, a pile of players still to bring in and the ropy LC performances) the game as whole was a pleasant surprise.

If that was a reflection what an Alexander side looks like and what we're going to be this season (physical, direct and fun) then I'm absolutely fine with it.

Stating the obvious, but off the back of Van Veen and Slattery's showing yesterday along with the arrival of Ojala I'm interested to see who we've got earmarked still to come in now.

Edited by capt_oats

I am unsure what our back two will be when Ojala comes in.  It is still heart in mouth time when Bevis has the ball at his feet.

All the new boys are showing something, Amaluzor has got the furthest to go I think.

Woolery twisted his body to get the ball on his right, lash it with the left or drag it round the keeper and it’s a tap in.

Maguire played well.  Great save from Kelly.

The penalty - I am happy for that to be a penalty but will be keen to see consistency through the season, which is unlikely.