Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, superward said:

Yeah, I get that view 💯. But to play devil's advocate, if Crawford wasn't there we'd be going into the first league game with no cover for central midfield given injuries and players coming back from injury. So signing him up for another year on what must be a small(ish) wage is already looking a decent idea. 

I was surprised when he got the year renewal tbh buy it seems broadly sensible. 

I'm pretty sure we will see him through the season but he's not going to be a key player. Thankfully.

Signing him up for a year in April was it? Based on we might need him come August just to me says that I do think we could have found a player of commensurate value to the team for the same money, especially with all this scouting software and services we’re signed up to. I just think it showed a lack of ambition.

Ever consider not having him would have redoubled our efforts and focus on finding an alternative scraping midfielder this summer. Anyway I feel there was a good chance he may be available just now if released in May.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 minute ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Mate's a big Ayr United fan, was raving about what a great player we had signed when we picked up Crawford...

tenor.gif

See, I don't necessarily think him being a "great" player for Ayr and being less than great for us are mutually exclusive positions.

His time at Ayr was playing in the Championship and Leagues 1&2. He's had a handful of *alright* games for us.

What's clear is that he's not a consistent Premiership level player. He's not a player who's going to dominate or run a midfield even against League 1 teams if you put him alongside Dean Cornelius and Barry Maguire.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

What @capt_oats is being too kind to say is; he's fucking pish.

I think he's one for that specific section of the support who always seem extra-keen for us to sign players from the lower leagues in Scotland to have a think on (I say that knowing we signed him from Livi's bench).

He's the sort of player who we could get away with playing in a midfield alongside a Campbell or whatever now and again but (fully aware I'm stealing @thisGRAEME's bit here) he's not Allan Campbell and his limits were shown when he was dropped in as the most "experienced" midfielder in the Betfred games.

Edited by capt_oats

Sounds like our midfield business is already done, and we're just after a striker, but I definitely wouldn't mind taking Crawford at Killie. Feel like we still miss someone with those sort of legs in the midfield, and we have plenty of others round about him who can play. Ayrshire boy too which is both meaningless and important at the same time.

I can see why we signed him the first time - Turnbull gone, Donnelly out long-term, Polworth in a mood, no reserve squad, potential isolation periods for players. Slightly more mystified by us extending his deal but still I think he’s at the club with the idea of him being a player we can “get away with” for a short spell. 

He did “okay” in a number of games last season. I think the majority of us accepted that in the hope that long term we’d have a better, more creative and entertaining midfield. Those in a twist about his Betfred performances are probably overreacting, based on the fact, until last Saturday, we hadn’t signed any central midfielders. Hopefully Slattery signing and being joined by another will make everyone chill a bit.

To be fair, "couldn't get near him so he kicked him" does reflect rather better on the kickee than the kicker...
Okay, so perhaps it was unnecessary to include SOD. I could have left a simple statement.

£100,000,000 for Jack Grealish!! [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Does 12 caps (7 starts), no trophies and no European experience warrant that?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Sounds like our midfield business is already done, and we're just after a striker, but I definitely wouldn't mind taking Crawford at Killie. Feel like we still miss someone with those sort of legs in the midfield, and we have plenty of others round about him who can play. Ayrshire boy too which is both meaningless and important at the same time.

I will drop him off. Don't even want petrol money.

I wonder if Baningime was on our radar, the potential of him Slattery and Donnelly in midfield would have been nice to see.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't, however in normal years Everton to Hearts means decent weekly wages out of our bracket but we have been splashing the cash.

35 minutes ago, mwellhighland said:

Does anyone know how long after the match that a full replay will be available on mfctv International subscription? 

Trying to figure out if I should avoid the result and watch when I get a chance tonight. 

I don’t think it’s usually the same day, but It’s been a while since I checked.

7 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

I don’t think it’s usually the same day, but It’s been a while since I checked.

One of the LC games I wanted to see the goals from didn't turn up until the next day.  It might be different for league matches, but I'm fairly sure last season it was the next day as well.

I'm not an international subscriber just the regular MFC TV service so I'm not sure how different they are other than the live coverage on match days. I'm assuming the platform is essentially the same thing for the full replays.

Either way the full match replays can be pretty flaky in terms of when they go live. I think the Queens Park LC game went up a couple of hours (maybe less) after full time whereas the QoTS and Annan ones seemed to be a day or two later.

I wondered whether there was maybe a moratorium that the club was bound to in terms of making the footage live until after the final LC game of the round was broadcast on Premier or whatever - regardless of it being paywalled or not.

IIRC there were a couple of league fixtures last season that took a few days to be published.

Edited by capt_oats

Sitting in the Cooper bar with a pint after the game and actually feeling quite optimistic for this season. If we play like that in the majority of games we have nothing to fear. I think we are certainly stronger going forward and the sooner the finnish guy takes over from Lamie the better. Also if our left back cuts out getting booked in almost every game then we can do well. Let's hope we are not going for another season of giving away penalties.