Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, santheman said:

I'm going to be controversial and say that based on what I've seen of Lamie towards the end of last season when he showed us the player he can be and so far this  season (allowing for the fact he has been ill and not yet match fit) and what I've seen of O'Connor, I'd play Lamie first.

There I said it.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Tbf to o'connor, he played 20 games for wexford before moving to Leicester so he has some first team experiende behund him.

Ah fair play, didn’t realise that. 20 apps at Wexford and another 20-odd in PL2 is not bad going for a 21 year old CB. Chuck him in there with the big Finn.

10 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

The Gamekeeper has turned poacher it seems

“You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain”

Edited by Busta Nut

39 minutes ago, Desp said:

Just as well we didn't sign Louis Moult, eh? Out for five months. 

There has never been, and will never be, a more perfect Motherwell signing than Moult. Came as a total unknown, scored loads of goals and turned up in big games. I'll always have glorious memories of my head exploding into orbit somewhere above Hampden Park.

I was a bit relieved when he didn't sign tbh.

I think we all dreamed of Moult returning and scoring a load of goals.

I don't think it was every really happening in anyway what so ever.

I was also a bit relieved when he went elsewhere.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Ah fair play, didn’t realise that. 20 apps at Wexford and another 20-odd in PL2 is not bad going for a 21 year old CB. Chuck him in there with the big Finn.

Aye, admittedly its hardly a glittering career, just thought id give those appearnaces the heads up haha.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Just as well we didn't sign Louis Moult, eh? Out for five months. 

Tough luck for Louis. Some players have no luck or are injury prone or both !

I am praying that Donnelly can get back to where he was pre injury and have a decent run in the team. 

One for the "its time we started re-investing that money in the squad properly to improve us than bargain basement freebies who are let go by clubs for a reason!" shouts.

From what I can gather Big Juhani was still under contract at Vejle BK (going by the fact that they've announced the signing via their site and the Google Translate-tastic copy: https://vejle-boldklub.dk/juhani-ojala-skifter-til-motherwell/)

"Vejle Boldklub and Scottish Motherwell FC have reached an agreement which will send Ojala to Scotland.

A few weeks ago, several media outlets reported that Ojala was visiting Scotland, and technical director Johan Sandahl notes in this connection that the Finnish defender's change has been underway for some time.

- Juhani's visit to Scotland is no secret. The change has been underway for some time, and I am satisfied with the agreement we have entered into, says Sandahl and continues:

- Since his arrival at Vejle Boldklub, Juhani has been a regular part of VB's strong defense, whereby he has been a key contributor to the positive development in the club, which last season ensured us survival in the country's best row. Juhani has been a pleasure to have at the club and we have enjoyed working with him. Whatever Juhani has been met with, he has acted top professionally. It is a great personality we say goodbye to and I would like to thank him for his efforts in the club and wish him all the best for the future.

Juhani Ojala joined Vejle Boldklub from BK Häcken in August 2019. He reached 45 matches for VB."

Link

So that's Ojala, Kelly and Slattery who were all still under contract at their clubs when they've signed. 

Like, that's clearly no guarantee that they'll be good but it's a shift away from the recruitment we've been used to. It'll be interesting to see if any of the future signings are a similar profile.

I'm wondering if this one has come about via that TransferRoom patter we were involved in.

Also, it looks like he captained them on occasion.

E7enpgjXoAse5FE?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by capt_oats

Also, there was some chat questioning Slattery's lack of first team games given his age.

It's interesting to compare Slattery to Hearts' signing from Everton, the excellently named Beni Baningime.

Both the same age, both coming from EPL clubs. I suppose it puts into context what you're getting in terms of "experience" from that level.

773277776_ScreenShot2021-07-29at23_29_21.thumb.png.ff680201d3b945674b2b5e0954bf1759.png

Spoiler

1791236780_ScreenShot2021-07-29at23_30_50.thumb.png.2f10c3edd407e37d3d8964fc917bbc88.png

415279407_ScreenShot2021-07-29at23_28_42.thumb.png.e3ce60a60caf98aedccbdcf6b5934df2.png

Spoiler

561188129_ScreenShot2021-07-29at23_31_47.thumb.png.23ce8f67c94594ceb42cce7740f93913.png

I'll not lie this kind of feels relevant to me because Joel Sked's words about Slattery having not played a lot of football for his age were literally in my ears when Hearts announced their boi Beni. No shade on Joel like, it just gave me a wee laugh. :)

Edited by capt_oats

Also, there was some chat questioning Slattery's lack of first team games given his age.
It's interesting to compare Slattery to Hearts' signing from Everton, the excellently named Beni Baningime.
Both the same age, both coming from EPL clubs. I suppose it puts into context what you're getting in terms of "experience" from that level.
773277776_ScreenShot2021-07-29at23_29_21.thumb.png.ff680201d3b945674b2b5e0954bf1759.png
Spoiler

1791236780_ScreenShot2021-07-29at23_30_50.thumb.png.2f10c3edd407e37d3d8964fc917bbc88.png

415279407_ScreenShot2021-07-29at23_28_42.thumb.png.e3ce60a60caf98aedccbdcf6b5934df2.png
Spoiler

561188129_ScreenShot2021-07-29at23_31_47.thumb.png.23ce8f67c94594ceb42cce7740f93913.png

I'll not lie this kind of feels relevant to me because Joel Sked's words about Slattery having not played a lot of football for his age were literally in my ears when Hearts announced their boi Beni. No shade on Joel like, it just gave me a wee laugh. [emoji4]

Same Joel Sked who balked at oor Graeme for suggesting we could finish top 6 whilst happily declaring hearts should finish top 6 cause their squad was about the fifth best in Scotland? That Joel Sked? The hearts squad largely unchanged that lost vs Brora? That Joel Sked?