Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Pro's:

• Current international right back
  • 2 years on his contract remaining
  • Current captain (whistles and looks ceiling)
  • £500k for someone that cost us nowt

Con's:

• Form decidedly "meh" (granted a lot of that could be down to the job he's being asked to do/tactics)
  • "Modest release clause" which only benefits us if there's someone else other than Sunderland interested

Him:

• Big bump in his weekly earnings
  • Upheaval for the family

Us:

• Does GA think he can use that money better elsewhere?
  • Max Johnston ready? (club seem to think he has something about him as few others have featured in their own video short "Here's ma dug")
Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

If anyone offers £500k for SOD we should rip their arm off.

If it feels like a step backward in our ongoing battle against being ripped-off (primarily by the ugly sisters) if we sell a current international player with 2 years remaining on his contract for just half a million quid. 

Now we're all quite realistic about SOD's true abilities, and we're not going to block SOD's "Big Move" but especially when it's an English club we should be trying to get something more than that, surely?

It's not the behaviour of a massive, establishment club, is what I'm saying.  

If it feels like a step backward in our ongoing battle against being ripped-off (primarily by the ugly sisters) if we sell a current international player with 2 years remaining on his contract for just half a million quid. 

Now we're all quite realistic about SOD's true abilities, and we're not going to block SOD's "Big Move" but especially when it's an English club we should be trying to get something more than that, surely?

It's not the behaviour of a massive, establishment club, is what I'm saying.  
I think there is an understanding that we will let him go for a nominal fee if there was interest. I have not seen anything concrete to this effect but I think it appeared to be general knowledge.

The relationship with SOD has always seemed to be one of convenience for both sides so the exit clause (assuming it exists) isn't really much of a surprise and in itself it's really just a formalised version of the general "we won't stand in your way if we get an offer that meets our valuation" sales-pitch. What interested me was a frame of reference in terms of what "modest" actually meant going by the original report that surfaced around the time of the Euros.

On the face of it £500k feels enough to be non-prohibitive to a buying club at the level he might want to consider but also substantial enough from our POV considering the circumstances he arrived (OOC on an initial 6 month to give him a platform to stay in consideration for the national side) on top of that there's the question of how much we got in compensation from UEFA for his time away at the Euros and whether we kept it all or he got a slice.

I mean, bearing in mind this is an 'exclusive' from Football League World it's to be taken with a pinch of salt but equally, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if his agent was flying a kite and reminding people that there's an international right back available for a "modest" fee (it's his job after all).

Obviously there's been an assumption that all or part of the club's windfall was being used as a signing on fee but do the players get paid for playing at the Euros by the SFA or does all of the payment go to the club? I've heard he got a very substantial payment for playing at the Euros but have no idea whether that's from the club or SFA.

29 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Obviously there's been an assumption that all or part of the club's windfall was being used as a signing on fee but do the players get paid for playing at the Euros by the SFA or does all of the payment go to the club? I've heard he got a very substantial payment for playing at the Euros but have no idea whether that's from the club or SFA.

UEFA pay the clubs directly for player involvement.

The players get their payment from the SFA pot, nothing to do with clubs.

“According to VAF, Ojala is on his way to Motherwell - only one work permit is missing #VejleB#VB#sldk#transferdk”

It’s happening, some random Danish guy on Twitter said it.

45 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

“According to VAF, Ojala is on his way to Motherwell - only one work permit is missing #VejleB#VB#sldk#transferdk”

It’s happening, some random Danish guy on Twitter said it.

I see your Danish random and raise you Tony Watt's Instagram. :whistle

227423161_153899456756612_49963539664949310_n.thumb.jpeg.31beb9ae39a36fb9f24b785f69bfc1d4.jpeg

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Disappointing lack of support for Liam Kelly's maw here tbqhwy. 

Disappointing lack of blue tick verification for Juhani IMO. That's how we're rating potential signings now.

A starting XI of IG verified ballers is the dream.

Edited by capt_oats