Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It's in the Squad Lists thread.

Left the club:

• Allan Campbell (signed for Luton Town)
  • Aaron Chapman (signed for Gillingham)
  • Devante Cole (signed for Barnsley)
  • Findlay Cook
  • Charles Dunne (signed for St Mirren)
  • Sam Foley (signed for Tranmere Rovers)
  • Declan Gallagher (signed for Aberdeen)
  • Paul Hale (signed for Cambuslang Rangers)
  • Yusuf Hussain (signed for Forfar Athletic)
  • Christopher Long (signed for Crewe Alexandra)
  • Ross MacIver (signed for Partick Thistle)
  • Matthew McDonald (signed for Airdrie)
  • Sam Muir (signed for Dumbarton)
  • Liam Polworth (signed for Kilmarnock)
  • Lewis Robertson
  • Harry Robinson (signed for Clyde)
  • Sherwin Seedorf
  • Jamie Semple
  • Cammy Williamson

Loans Expired:

• Jake Hastie (Rangers)
  • Liam Kelly (Queens Park Rangers) - (loan made permanent - signed for Motherwell)
  • Tyler Magloire (Blackburn Rovers)
  • Eddie Nolan (Crewe Alexandra) - (signed for Waterford)
  • Jordan Roberts (Heart of Midlothian)
  • Harry Smith (Northampton Town) - (signed for Leyton Orient)

Explains a lot about the results of last season as well

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Statistically was he not one of the best players in his position in the league?

He got a *lot* of interceptions;

Which, from memory is a big part of why our game fell to bits when Kipre left because we never replaced the daft numbers he did, I think donnelly redressed the balance a bit from memory (may well be wrong) but last season we lacked it.

24 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Which, from memory is a big part of why our game fell to bits when Kipre left because we never replaced the daft numbers he did, I think donnelly redressed the balance a bit from memory (may well be wrong) but last season we lacked it.

Cheers. I thought it was something along those lines.

It feels really weird to be 4 days from the first game of the season and us still to have 3 or 4 obvious gaps in our starting XI but equally it's also vaguely reassuring if we've actually looked at where we had problems last season and are looking at players who might actually be *quite good* in those roles and do good, relevant numbers.

As I say, that's only off the back of a report that he's someone we were looking at and putting 2+2 together but given the way our midfield failed to function with say, Robbie Crawford in there it feels relevant.

Edited by capt_oats

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I can’t get my around why a club who have done so much good stuff for their fans, gets permission to have 6500 into a match and gives 2000 of these tickets to the away fans. Bizarre.

I can't get my head around anyone who has watched Scottish fitba for the last 20 years thinking we would need more than 4500

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I can't get my head around anyone who has watched Scottish fitba for the last 20 years thinking we would need more than 4500

You have never had more than 4500 home fans at a home match in the last 20 years? I honestly didn’t know that, so I apologise for yet another daft post.

11 hours ago, Desp said:

If you're telling me you could have an extra 2000 Motherwell fans there, who are the type who only turn up for Cup Finals and the like, or 2000 Hibs ST holders in the away end, it's the latter everytime. 

Don't you want to be sat next to someone's maw who's been looking forward to the day out for 3 weeks?

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

There was nothing more majestic than big Cedric striding out of defence to pick someone's pocket and ping passes about. Some laugh having a defender the size of a block of flats who could nutmeg strikers at will.

Edited by well fan for life

58 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Cheers. I thought it was something along those lines.

It feels really weird to be 4 days from the first game of the season and us still to have 3 or 4 obvious gaps in our starting XI but equally it's also vaguely reassuring if we've actually looked at where we had problems last season and are looking at players who might actually be *quite good* in those roles and do good, relevant numbers.

As I say, that's only off the back of a report that he's someone we were looking at and putting 2+2 together but given the way our midfield failed to function with say, Robbie Crawford in there it feels relevant.

Along with I’m guessing many supporters just the fact we appear to be targeting better quality players outweigh the fact it’s leaving us short early on. I would rather we start poorly while building something longer term than starting the first game with a large squad that we know is going to do nothing. It is as you say pretty weird to feel ok about it when we should be really worried, I’m probably more comfortable with the direction we are going that at any time in the last five years.

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Taps the "adjust for possession" board.

Odoffin still comes out high, but be wary of thinking someone is a good ball winner based on total numbers, especially when they're in a really weak side. Less possession your team has, more opportunities to win the ball back.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Taps the "adjust for possession" board.

Odoffin still comes out high, but be wary of thinking someone is a good ball winner based on total numbers, especially when they're in a really weak side. Less possession your team has, more opportunities to win the ball back.

Every day a school day.

Sunderland being "linked" with a "move" for SOD.

According to *ahem* Football League World "the Black Cats feel as though they could get the player in this summer for less than £500,000".

Tbh, thinking back to the chat during the Euros about there being a "modest" exit clause in his deal £500k would sound about right relatively speaking.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Sunderland being "linked" with a "move" for SOD.

According to *ahem* Football League World "the Black Cats feel as though they could get the player in this summer for less than £500,000".

Tbh, thinking back to the chat during the Euros about there being a "modest" exit clause in his deal £500k would sound about right relatively speaking.

Possibly why we've still no appointed him as the official club captain?