Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Maybe one for the future but 15 appearances at age 22. I would hope we’ve still got some experience coming in.

I think there's a certain amount of latitude you have to give EPL academy players on that front.

I mean, he made 3 league appearances for Southampton in 18/19. Went out on loan for the 2nd half of 19/20 (which as we know turned into a shitshow on account of the 'rona). Then went out on loan to Gillingham for the 2nd half of last season but picked up an injury: 

Loan players Callum Slattery and James Morton will play no further part for Gillingham this season.

Midfielder Slattery looked impressive during his brief spell on loan from Southampton but returned to the club to treat a knee injury. Morton returns to Bristol City after just one late appearance as a substitute.

Slattery isn’t expected to be fit until the last week of the season and Gills boss Steve Evans sees no point in bringing him back for a final outing. He finishes his spell with the Gills after making seven appearances.

Morton’s 89th minute appearance in the 3-0 home defeat to Lincoln was his only time playing for the club, with Evans admitting he wasn’t ready.

“We will see neither of those lads,” Evans confirmed, with the club having four matches to play.

“Callum will be fit in the last week or so of the season so it’s best he focuses on next season."

Link

That bring us up to date and him pitching up here with a year still to go on his deal at Southampton.

If you factor in Premier League 2 games (and fair enough if you don't) it doesn't look quite as sparse.

1867540379_ScreenShot2021-07-24at10_15_34.thumb.png.73a939ee36826d101c3dacc7ad47bf14.png

Edited by capt_oats

Hefty, hefty, "low sample size warning" here. Its totally unfair to judge players who haven't played a certain amount of minutes really, as the variance is larger the less they play, but heres how he profiled for Gillingham last season.

Slattery.thumb.png.7156e2be15c61f9852c828e0a0a1b19c.png

Get the impression hes similar to Jake Doyle-Hayes. He'll be comfortable sitting and spraying passes about, and also getting near the area and trying to create, but won't score much himself and won't be a "destroyer" in midfield, despite getting stuck in. 

But again, hes played so few minutes in unfair to judge him on per90 figures. Your TransferLab boys have access to the EPL Youth leagues I'm sure, so they'll know plenty about him.

And heres Ojala, also caveated by the fact Scandinavian based CBs generally scale worse in defensive figures when compared directly against UK CBs, seems like theres less aerial/defensive duels over there.

Ojala.thumb.png.0a3e79f735e57dfc8f3bfc565a4093ed.png

High shooter score means he does almost nothing around the opponents box apart from shoot, so presumably isn't near there apart from set plays, where hes a threat.

Oh...he has his own thread on Southampton's forum. I've not read it all so it may end up just saying he's pish.

It seems he was their B team captain though.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/56887-callum-slattery/

Also, he was tipped to have a breakthrough season by the BBC in 2019 alongside Max Aarons, Phil Foden, Mason Greenwood, Mason Mount and others. So there's that...

1308101293_ScreenShot2021-07-24at10_42_26.thumb.png.227abcef2c2f61626f371debe18f89c6.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49057145

Edited by capt_oats

#geopolitics

Anyone have an idea to resolve the two-state solution in Israel/Palestine?

Seems we like dealing in 3’s these days: 3 year contracts, wee Nicola’s £3m interest free loan is being carved up, 3 points versus Airdrie ..... oh wait

Edited by Kapowzer

In theory this feels like two good signings and a wee cut above our normal english lower league stuff - so I'm happy in advance of actually seeing them play.

Slattery feels like he is the replacement for the Lanarkshire Kante, so as someone who will be a starter, I hope he gets a game today in advance of next week.

30 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I was talking culturally.

Screenshot_20210724-105856_Samsung Internet.jpg

Good save!!! 👏

If Slattery doesn't start getting called Tony immediately, to the point where Tony Watt has to pick a different name, then we're not doing it right.

I'm quite excited by these signings, however the constant bi-weekly flip between excited and devastated has got me rattled already and the season hasn't even started yet.

22 minutes ago, Swello said:

In theory this feels like two good signings and a wee cut above our normal english lower league stuff - so I'm happy in advance of actually seeing them play.

Slattery feels like he is the replacement for the Lanarkshire Kante, so as someone who will be a starter, I hope he gets a game today in advance of next week.

We are waiting for International clearance but he could feature today. All according to Flow.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I think there's a certain amount of latitude you have to give EPL academy players on that front.

I mean, he made 3 league appearances for Southampton in 18/19. Went out on loan for the 2nd half of 19/20 (which as we know turned into a shitshow on account of the 'rona). Then went out on loan to Gillingham for the 2nd half of last season but picked up an injury: 

That bring us up to date and him pitching up here with a year still to go on his deal at Southampton.

If you factor in Premier League 2 games (and fair enough if you don't) it doesn't look quite as sparse.

1867540379_ScreenShot2021-07-24at10_15_34.thumb.png.73a939ee36826d101c3dacc7ad47bf14.png

I think the start of the league season is going to be tough. We’ve signed a number of young players with potential that are not up to speed. Add in one or two of the more experienced signing who are also not match fit and it’s going to be a tough three or for weeks. I’ve not got a problem in trying to develop a team of promising players over the next couple of seasons but we’re quite  light on experienced pro’s as it stands in midfield. I would also like to see another left sided central defender but think that might be it.

43 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I think the start of the league season is going to be tough. We’ve signed a number of young players with potential that are not up to speed. Add in one or two of the more experienced signing who are also not match fit and it’s going to be a tough three or for weeks. I’ve not got a problem in trying to develop a team of promising players over the next couple of seasons but we’re quite  light on experienced pro’s as it stands in midfield. I would also like to see another left sided central defender but think that might be it.

Oh, absolutely no argument on any of that from me.

It feels like that's been the trade off for waiting to get these players in. There's a big picture aspect to it but it doesn't make stumbling through LC group games, getting scudded by Airdrie and being up against it bedding an XI in for early season games anything other than unedifying.

I fully agree that we could be doing with adding a couple of experienced pros.

I was just meaning that it's kind of tough to judge EPL Academy players on first team games given that if they were playing first team games for their parent club we wouldn't be anywhere near them and in the case of Slattery his development loans seem to have been stunted firstly by the pandemic and secondly by an injury.

With the caveat that I haven't seen either play Slattery feels quite similar in profile to Luke McCormick who we were linked with earlier in the window. Same age, same height (apparently), roughly same sort of position, similar club background (Chelsea vs Southampton), both loaned out to League 1 clubs last season and both in a similar place contract-wise (both had a year left to go on their deals).

The main difference between the two (in terms of profile) is McCormick at the same age has 50 first team appearances at League 1 level (Shrewsbury and Bristol City) and 42 of those came last season whereas Slattery only has 17 first team games under his belt.

To put it into perspective and touch on @Swello's post above, Slattery's the same age as Campbell was when he left. Campbell had 160 first team games to his name.

Edited by capt_oats

Finnish guy looks a very decent signing.

We had Alfie Jones on loan from Southampton a couple of seasons ago. He was their U-23 skipper and was "highly rated". He looked very out of his depth for a while, but got better. Struggled to cope with the physical nature of our game. Although that useless fucker S****s was the manager, before he was binned.

We cut his loan short. Seems to have done O.K. at Gillingham and Hull City since.