Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

First of all, I had a cracking chippy from Senors in Airdrie before kick off. Absolutely unchallenged in it being my highlight of the night. 

I think what I find most infuriating is that two of our worst performers from last season are likely still going to be nailed on starters come the start of the league season. Lamie's been a calamity from the minute he set foot in the door and Crawford's so alarmingly out of his depth against every team we ever play against. We pushed the boat out for Kelly, and I'm happy about that. But what chance has he got with the same soft as shite defence and midfield sitting in front of him.

Lawless I feel a bit sorry for tbh. His legs have absolutely gone at this point. He'd rip the pish out of anyone on a fives pitch but he can barely move. Either you find a way of playing him in behind a striker or just leave him out of the squad. 

As far as defenders go we've only got Mugabi to return from injury. I like big Bevis. But is he going to solve our problems? Absolutely not. How we've managed to get to this point having signed one youth player in defence is beyond me. 

Crawford is, simply, the worst midfielder in the division. He's playing in front of the back four so he should be making sure the ball isn't lost but I have lost count of the number of times he'll concede possession after taking a first touch. I don't need a @RandomGuy. visualisation to tell me that he's absolutely stealing a wage. 

Maguire's not looking like he's even an inch towards replacing Campbell. Cornelius I can probably give some slack to with him never having really played for us until this point. I can understand not risking Donnelly on a sticky plastic park but I hope he's back on Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

I was disappointed, however, to see a few, shall we say, prominent, Motherwell going after Stephen O'Donnell on social media.

Seen this as well. An absolutely roasting take. I have noticed that perhaps the most prominent of the support has deleted his tweets now. SOD's going to have playing for Scotland thrown at him at every opportunity, sadly.

Tbh the bois up at the end were a bit of a riddy last night. Like a load of 16 year olds that had their first beer. One of them shoving a polis when they'd told him to leave already before he got huckled being a spectacular bit of stupidity. A couple of their songs coming directly out the fucking stone age as well.

28 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Fortunately, I had a dinner that had been planned weeks ago last night so I managed to avoid watching the game completely.

However, one thing that does massively concern me is that he's looked at his bench at 2-0 down and thought that none of the eight players sitting there could make an impact. I know that Parker and Amaluzor were probably signed as "projects", but if he doesn't think either, at this stage, could have an impact against a league one side for 15 minutes then for me, we simply shouldn't have signed them.

The "at this stage of the season" line is becoming more and more redundant when you realise the league starts next weekend.

We still clearly need at least three starting players to sign before then. If we don't, I'm trying to cast my mind back to anyone we've signed between the first game of the season and the end of August who's gone on to have the impact we will need these players to have.

This is the most glaring issue for me.  Alexander has had a decent amount of time with the club to be able to identify where our (obvious) weaknesses are and the type of players that we need to address them.  Also, with Daws on board, and having worked with Alexander before (IIRC) you would hope there are names there that we are actively targeting.  I'm sure there are, but time is against us in terms of getting key signings in and bedded down before the league starts - I don't think we can afford to wait three or four games before folk are up to speed.

One thing that I would say is that the entire team have looked miles off in all three games (with the exception of a few flurries against QOTS) - it very much fits in with the 'pre-season' nature of the LC group games as I don't think that, on paper at least, all of our players are as shite as they've looked.

Undoubtedly though we are in a position where we have five or six 'squad' filler-type players who we are relying on to be regular - and important - players for us.  

The bottom line for me is we need probably atleast 4 or 5 first team player in the door ASAP. The SPFL starts next week, I'm all for being patient but we can't be weeks into the season and still trying to get half a team to gel together.

I think we need atleast 2 experienced centre midfielders and 2 centre backs for starters. Of these 4, a couple need to have some sort of leadership qualities because this is lacking at the moment. As I said after the last game, I would also like us to try another formation perhaps some form of 442, I don't think the 433 is working particularly well.

As far as other issues go, I think Tony Watt has looked miles off it fitness wise in the last couple of games. I've always thought he's 'naturally unfit' and he has alluded to this himself before so hopefully it will just take him a couple of extra games to get going. I thought some of the groans at SOD were well OTT last night, he didn't have a good game but I think you could say that about 9 or 10 of our players. As pissed off as I was at full time, I couldn't say it was about any individuals in particular more the full team.

My biggest annoyance last night was us consistently firing long/diagonals ball across the pitch when there was space to play. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come because I really don't think we have the players for this type of football.

Steven Lawless somehow managing to, unchallenged, head the ball down onto his own nose, down his own leg and roll it off his toe and out the park from 5yds out was a special moment.

Edited by Al B

What are the chances of us getting these 4/5 first team quality additions in for the Hibs game? I’d say zero. Which means we’re looking at going with what we have and even if everyone is fully fit, it’s still not going to be good enough. Questions will need to be asked and better still, actually answered, as to why these glaring holes in the team remain, especially having had so long to identify and pursue our preferred options. From where you I’m  sitting this is borderline negligent and for all the club do so much right, this has got to be the most important aspect. 

For the record, as it stands, I’d say our best centre half pairing is Mugabi and O’Hara. I’ll just name names as everyone else has, but Lamie and Crawford can be nowhere near the starting 11 as that will see us relegated. I’d play myself before either of them. 

The fans being allowed back in means there is going to be no hiding place for the under performers like there was last season.

Edited by Allroy for Prez

Well I think we can rule out getting past the group stage. Airdrieonians only need to win assuming we don't win by 3 goals better (your having a laught with that). There are 6 groups (including ours) where 2nd place can get 9 points or higher. They also all have a positive goal difference with 3 of them having a plus 4 goal difference.

Basically we have to hope that Queen of the South stop Airdrie from winning and we win to get through. What a load of shite this team has shown over the past 2 weeks. Absolutley now attacking presence untill we go 2 goals down....

I'm not going to get too ahead of myself given some of our previous league cup performances (Edinburgh City, Stranraer) but that was absolutely hopeless last night. Up there with the worst of last season.

I liked GA when he came in, and still think he'll come good, but that post match interview last night was like listening to Robinson at his worst last season with the 'earning the right to play' patter and questioning the mindset etc.

As virtually everyone on this thread has said, if we start the season with any of that midfield 3 then we are doomed. Hopefully Donnelly's knees hold together as I think he's good enough, and Mark O'Hara returns from wherever he is at the minute - he might not be a world beater but he's also not Robbie Crawford.  

As other have said, the holes in the squad are glaring! We need a minimum 2 starters in midfield with some degree of creativity and the ability to progress the ball/break the lines (or 3 CM's with a rotation player). At the back we need a new starting centre back at the least. I've been quite impressed with O'Connor so far and could live with one of O'Connor/Mugabi/O'Hara partnering a new dominant CB if it means we can overhaul the midfield.

If we see some key signings by the middle of next week then some of my concerns might be eased slightly (the rumour mill has gone very quiet?) but given the league season starts in 10 days it looks like we'll be nowhere near ready come the Hibs game.

Edited by dezz

Normally, I'd be urging that we don't lose the plot at a pre-season LC game - but last night was genuinely woeful (even though it was good to be at a game again). 

McGinley, who I always quite liked the look of on a laptop screen had one of the worst 90 minutes I've ever seen from a 'Well player - ditto Crawford.

Still, if what I overheard last night is true, our search for a centre half could be finnished.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Normally, I'd be urging that we don't lose the plot at a pre-season LC game - but last night was genuinely woeful (even though it was good to be at a game again). 

McGinley, who I always quite liked the look of on a laptop screen had one of the worst 90 minutes I've ever seen from a 'Well player - ditto Crawford.

Still, if what I overheard last night is true, our search for a centre half could be finnished.

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It's absolutely nuts that I don't particularly rate Mark O'Hara - but at the moment I think he's simultaneously our best centre half and centre mid.

When I was watching the 20th half-arsed "tackle" in midfield last night - I was feeling the loss of Wee Al more than anything and it could well be a recurring theme...but agree that O'Hara would be an upgrade on what was on show...

Edited by Swello

5 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It's absolutely nuts that I don't particularly rate Mark O'Hara - but at the moment I think he's simultaneously our best centre half and centre mid.

On a similar note I never thought Charlie Dunne was any use other than beside someone that could carry him, and yet right now I'm absolutely pining for him.

Hibs - Home
St Johnstone - Away
Livingston - Away
Dundee - Home
Rangers - Away

Where are the points coming from. Hibs, St Johnstone and Rangers will hammer us on current squad/form. Livi is another trip to a pitch that we rarely play particularly well on. Leaves that Dundee game being a huge game for Alexander or the knifes will be out.

Crawford (and Mugabi to a certain extend) being given new contract months ago was a joke. Doubt these guys would have been in demand and should have been keeping our own options open. Crawford is so far out his depth that it’s tough to think of many worse who have played double figures of matches for us. Lamie is another who is not good enough at this level.

Massive few weeks for Alexander as I think a sticky start to the league will see the fans turn on him. At best, we are looking at shitfesting our way through the season and doubt I’ve got it in my to sit through that pish every week.

I would take Sami Hyypia’s old dear over Lamie

Hopefully the rumours some have heard re. a new centre half incoming are true, and it's some big , hard, commanding b*****d who can marshall a back line.

Unfortunately, the fact that he's been used in a lot of the socials/kit unveilings etc, and some of the soundbites recently, I think the club seem to be trying to build Lamie a bit of a profile/bond with the support, and he will start as the preferred option to partner the new guy.

Hope to f**k I'm wrong like, but got a bad feeling that's how we'll start.