Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

32 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

We need an entire midfield and either play Lawless behind a front two or not at all as he is absolutely rotten wide right or left.

The boy McDonald in there midfield was released from our academy in the summer … … On tonight’s performance he’s far superior than Cornelius 

1 minute ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Is it just me or is O’Donnell actually quite pish?

No astute observation, for someone with his billing decidedly average to poor. Not that he is alone, from bottom to top turgid. Long ball shows you have no confidence in your midfield and their ability to create. Lamie - bombscare, McGinley - average, Crawford - not his fault but WTF, midfield may have a chance if there was a calming influence but there isn't.

Scraping a draw against Queens Park, 2-0 down against QofS and this display that's up there with Albion Rovers in Hamilton.

Only benefit is Alexander will be invigorated/shamed into bringing in personnel starting tomorrow morning at 9am.

Pretty bog standard right back at this level who only gets a game for Scotland because he played for Clarke.

He's not pish as he'd get a game for most non old firm teams in the league but there's nothing really spectacular about him.

We never looked like scoring all game. Couple of belters from Airdrie, they more than deserved the win. 
I’d hope, again, that that midfield will not be the one we start the league season with, because seeing them after three games they are very poor, Crawford especially. Funding it hard to like anything Lawless does as well.

9 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

We never looked like scoring all game. Couple of belters from Airdrie, they more than deserved the win. 
I’d hope, again, that that midfield will not be the one we start the league season with, because seeing them after three games they are very poor, Crawford especially. Funding it hard to like anything Lawless does as well.

Getting Donnelly back properly is pretty critical.  As it stands we’re looking at needing three or four players who could come in and start ahead of those shamblers from this evening.

As I said at full time in the cup thread, yes we were abject again, but it's hardly panic stations time quite yet. The time for getting edgy will be if we go into the Hibs game a week on Sunday with a starting 11 that looks like that one tonight, most obviously in the middle.

The recruitment is dragging on, and maybe I'm being blindly optimistic, but I'd like to think the wait is for the 'right' people and  we will see a couple of quality incomings very soon.

It's obvious to anyone that the midfield is totally unserviceable, Donnelly back fit will be huge, but 2 proven additions in there minimum and a leader at the back are a must. If we can see it, I'm sure Alexander can too.

He can, can't he? Please tell me he can?

Just back from that and I thought the team were going to be lynched at the end when they came over to clap the fans. 60 minutes of defensive possession football against a team 2 leagues below us. Absolutely no desire to win that game at all. Anyone who thinks Odonnell should be captain needs to go see a psychiatrist. Mcginley has to be the most timid defender I have ever seen. Shat out of almost every tackle especially every 50/50. We have no midfield whatsoever and they are getting over run by league 1 players in every game so far. The only time we seem interested is when we are 2-0 down and we actually play a forward pass or run with the ball. It appears that negative defensive possession is the order of the day and will remain that way until we can buy at least 3 midfielders who know how to pass forward. I expect a reaction from the players against Annan but I truly wonder if it will be a positive or negative reaction. I honestly don't know.

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

either play Lawless behind a front two or not at all as he is absolutely rotten wide right or left.

100%

39 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Distinctly average SPFL fullback. Decent at very best

21 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Hopefully Alexander now has a clear idea of who to keep and who to bin (if he didn't know already).

I canny believe he's left it as it is for so fucking long.
Everyone with at least one working eye was pointing out this problem fae January at the latest.

I am actually pretty worried.

Guest superward
42 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

No astute observation, for someone with his billing decidedly average to poor. Not that he is alone, from bottom to top turgid. Long ball shows you have no confidence in your midfield and their ability to create. Lamie - bombscare, McGinley - average, Crawford - not his fault but WTF, midfield may have a chance if there was a calming influence but there isn't.

Scraping a draw against Queens Park, 2-0 down against QofS and this display that's up there with Albion Rovers in Hamilton.

Only benefit is Alexander will be invigorated/shamed into bringing in personnel starting tomorrow morning at 9am.

Don't disagree with much of that. But we did win against QP, 1-0. 

What is it with us and beating other Lanarkshire teams on plastic?

I don’t think O’Donnell is fit/still needs a proper rest after the Euros. He was barely making any forward runs. Toby will be behind Carroll in the pecking order based on today’s performance. The centre back position is still so weak as well.

That midfield three is the worst. Maguire is the best of a bad bunch. We will be relegated if they are the starting 3.

Lawless needs to start centrally behind the striker or not at all imo. He’s not fast enough to play wide. Woolery and Watt on each wing would probably do.

I wondered if KVV wasn’t introduced until later and Donnelly wasn’t introduced at all was because of the plastic pitch? It seemed strange only making one sub.

Airdrie deserved the win.

33 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Your performance tonight was summed up by the two guys running into each other at the end.

This was McGinley's night in a nutshell.

What a terrible performance. I had such a good night.

It’s pretty dire when you look through that team and the amount of players who simply aren’t good enough for this keague

Lamie, McGinley, Crawford and Lawless should be nowhere near our team as they’re not the required standard.

I’m reserving judgement on O Connor and Cornelius purely because they’re so young and the jury is firmly still out on Maguire being even a third of the player Campbell was.

Add to the above how many levels of shite must Amulozar be to not get any minutes even tonight when we needed anything, something going forward.

We need a minimum of five new players or else we’ll be battling with Dundee to go down automatically.