Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Interesting and actually pretty honest chat from Alexander about our guy Mich'el at his press conference today.

Still only 22, Alexander says the former West Ham United player is working on his fitness: “I wouldn’t say this is his last chance, he’s only 22. Each player can make what they want their career to be. He’s started at an extremely high level in the Premier League and there will be a lot of players who won’t make it at that level.

“It doesn’t mean it’s the end of your career. It’s important that they grasp any opportunity they get after that. Mich’el has been with us for a few months to try and earn a contract. He wants to kickstart his career and he certainly has the ability to do that. His condition wasn’t great when he came in, but he has worked on it.

“He still isn’t where we’d want him to be as a first-team player. He’s working hard and we will give him a chance. There’s a good player within him. But there’s lots more to being a professional footballer and he needs to add that.”

Link

@well fan for life beat me to it.

Tbh, for all I was sounding quite bent out of shape about it when we announced the signing I'd kind of rather Alexander admitted "he's not where we'd want him as a first team player but we're giving him a chance" rather than pretend he's been brought in to "enhance" the first team squad or whatever.

Edited by capt_oats

I really like the cut of Alexander's jib.  

The more we here about Parker, the more it comes across as a punt...kinda like a Charalambous or Mekongo type signing.  Could be good, could be pish, either way it's no big deal.  Ultimately any signing gets attention but there's some rather pronounced expectation management being played out here.

I'd like to think there will be a bit more movement this week in terms of real signings.

On the financial chat. The slide that ought to garner the most attention is the profit and loss. Despite a wage to t/o ratio of 85% we still made a small profit and were only one of a few clubs to do that exc those clubs whose details were not made available. 

On a recent podcast Flow made it crystal clear the Board would not make any decisions that would put the future of the club at risk. That was in relation to a Q on honouring the deal for free season tickets for the upcoming campaign. 

We are in rude health thanks to transfer income etc but I am quite sure we would cut back if the money was not there in future years.

I would be more interested to hear what their plans are for the £3m interest free loan we have taken on ??

As for Parker as others have said. A punt and probably one with a low investment. He clearly has / had talent to be at the clubs he was at. If he can screw the nut then we may have unearthed a gem a la Kipre. If not he moves on at Xmas 🤷‍♂️. Hoping for the former. 

I was encouraged by the comeback on Saturday. I thought Van Veen was hugely unlucky. Could have had 4 or 5 goals and should have had a couple. In his defence he mainly did the right things but just did not come off.

Woollery has strength and pace but has been dispossessed a few times. Add James Scott and we would be OK with forward options.

My concern remains (as others) at CB and creative midfield position. I would not want to start a campaign with Mugabi, Lamie and O’Connor as options. With Lamie and Mugabi on their day they can be OK. But too prone to gaffes. I still think we need a starting CB maybe two. 

Edited by welldaft

4 hours ago, Swello said:

It was discussed at the last 2 AGM's - the last in-person one, it went on for what felt like 3 days :)

My recollection is that there was no magic answer to it - we are running with quite a high wages:turnover ratio and I think that the figures for that season as reported on twitter are accurate. Basically, the board seem to view the finances of the club with a view to the medium term (in our world, that means 2 or 3 seasons in advance) and make decisions based on that. So in our case, our finances are (were) healthy enough to sustain the current levels for a couple of years but if the outlook changes, they would need to bring it down to a lower level.  I think the feeling is that if we cut our budget too much and make ourselves less competitive as a result, then it would be counterproductive - and therein lies the most difficult balancing act that every diddy club board needs to deal with.

To the point about medium term planning. I think that's key.

Looking at the cash at bank over the past 5 years we've gone from £135,069 in 2015 (when Hutchison stepped in) to £1,207,609 as at May 2020. You can only really start to plan medium term if there's some security short term, which I'd imagine a 7 figure cash sum in the bank provides.

Presumably that sort of increase allows an element of latitude for costs in terms of budget. Particularly when, until recently, the bulk of our contracts have been 1 or 2 year (max) so there's a degree of flexibility as a consequence of that.

For the sake of being completist, cash at bank in the other years has been:
2015: £135,069
2016: £301,962
2017: £149,057
2018: £820,180
2019: £476,851
2020: £1,207,609

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I have zero recollection of Mekongo.

I was pretty excited at there being a laddie called HERMAN in the squad iirc. Sure we thought he was decent but couldn't get a release from his former club or something.

Guest superward
48 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

In the Derby patter I'm reminded that I do miss having absolute dingbats like Foran around.

We don't really have anyone like that at all now eh. 

I can see big KVV getting a sending off for something daft in a big game but being clapped off as well because he is  #boxoffice

20 minutes ago, superward said:

We don't really have anyone like that at all now eh. 

I can see big KVV getting a sending off for something daft in a big game but being clapped off as well because he is  #boxoffice

It’s not hard to predict that when things settle down he’s going to quickly become a cult hero.