Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Guest superward
17 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

How much drink had the boys in Cooper Suite had to pick Van Veen man of the match 😊

Either Lawless or Woolery for me.

Thought Van Veen was excellent. Held the ball up, moved it well, linked up, passed it very well, some deft touches. Just didn't stick it away. He's going to be a cult hero no doubt.

Woolery was good but he was only on for part of the game so not MoTM material in my mind.

Lawless or VanVeen for me.

Edited by superward

I thought we were decent as you could expect at this stage of the season today. A couple of soft goals conceded, but you can work on that. I’d have been more concerned if we hadn’t created chances or looked like we could come back. 

Lawless looked like the player I thought we had signed in January, which was a big plus. Was good to see Donnelly get an hour but it’s clear he needs games under his belt.

I thought we were decent as you could expect at this stage of the season today. A couple of soft goals conceded, but you can work on that. I’d have been more concerned if we hadn’t created chances or looked like we could come back. 
Lawless looked like the player I thought we had signed in January, which was a big plus. Was good to see Donnelly get an hour but it’s clear he needs games under his belt.
Donnelly had a big bag of ice cubes strapped to his knee when he came off. Hopefully nothing serious.

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Shipping two soft goals right before half time and getting booed off actually ended up making for a quite an exciting game. It added a little bit of edge and jeopardy which is sometimes missing when you cruise these early season affairs.  

Must say I didn't think we were actually too bad 1st half though, lots of possession and moved the ball well without much punch. A lack of pace up front or creativity in the middle will do that I suppose. As someone else said, the introduction of Woolery and Lawless coming centrally made a massive difference and we could have won by several more if Van Veen had his shooting boots on.

Was impressed with both KVV and Woolery though, Lawless looked a lot fitter/better than last season as well. Was slightly bemused at the McGinley sub right enough, we were well in control at that stage and was looking a case of how many. Then for some reason we let QOTS back into the game by bringing on an extra centre back- relying on Kelly to bail us out with his customary big save at the end.

Overall though, it was just great to be back at the football and actually celebrate a Motherwell win in person.

Edited by Casagolda

We finally scored from that corner tactic, times are changing.

Also, was in picking up my ticket for Airdrie today and still seemed to be a couple left, boy next to me bought one, though that was before the game and the ticket office had a decent queue outside it at full time so would suspect they’re down to the very last few, if any.

1 hour ago, ZX1886 said:

Also, was in picking up my ticket for Airdrie today and still seemed to be a couple left, boy next to me bought one, though that was before the game and the ticket office had a decent queue outside it at full time so would suspect they’re down to the very last few, if any.

From what I heared and saw when picking up my tickets there was less than 50 left. Still a decent amount for someone wanting to buy one but since you required a season ticket I wasn't able to pick up a spare for my brother.

Hopefully it will be a good one. It might be the only away game we can go to this year if covid comes back during the winter period and more lockdowns are engaged.

First half I thought we knocked the ball about well but never really threatened. Few chances but we weren't very creative.
The midfield and the front 3 had nothing linking them. I thought Cornelius played well and I thought Maguire was ok but having Maguire as the creative one in the first half got us nowhere.
The two goals we lost were woeful and people booed. Seen a lot of folk slag the booing patrons but I think that booing is well within their right. It was a shocking scoreline and although I wasn't booing myself I defend their right to.

A quick goal back was needed and we got it.

The game changed when Lawless went play between the midfield and the forwards. Everyone knows we are screaming out for the creative midfield link in there and if we don't bring in another to play in there I'd want Lawless in there at all times. It seemed to open Queens up and Woolery's direct running was fun to watch. I like the look of him too. Big deflection on his goal but these things sometimes work for ye.

Van Veen looks like a nice player. Should have burst the net a couple of times but had 2 efforts cleared off the line. Maybe he was using too much finesse but again he looks like he'll be a good player for us.

Ten to go and we brought on our usual 6 defenders. This was something I thought GA maybe thought he had to do last year but looks more like a "go to move" when we are trying to see out a win. Which is the wrong phrase for today as at the point we did it we were in complete control and only Kelly with a big Schmeichelesque leap save us the win at the end.

My main takeaway is the same it's been all summer. We need an attacking midfielder. I'd like to have Lawless as that option with another rather than only him in there.

4 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

Everyone scores from corners against us.

I could see why some folk would love Van Veen and others would hate him.

Aye there was a guy on his phone at half time slating Van Veen and I was wondering what game he was watching. Yeah he missed chances but his hold up and link up play was very good I thought. I’d be more concerned if he didn’t get scoring chances.