Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

A few weeks ago we mentioned Turnbull, Campbell and Gorrin (Lambert, Davies and Dolan for older yins) being one of our best midfield threes.

I didn’t see any of it but Maguire, Crawford and Cornelius must be up there with the weakest on paper. I could accept one of those three with 2 new additions.

Lot to cover, so QP have had a significant cash injection means they are attracting Championship level players when about to compete in the 2nd after being promoted from the 3rd.

Of course many will cite "ahh its only a glorified warm up", "calm down", etc. but this is the same shit that happened a year ago and progressed into the first game in Dingwall. I dunno, I'd maybe like to see a team with the 7-9th biggest budget in the country show up and actually look like it.

However that can't excuse what was witnessed tonight, mid-July or not, it was pretty much woeful. Kelly is the only one to avoid any criticism. Based on his hutspah, I'll predict Van Veen to get 15 goals minimum, however he needs service and he ain't gonna get it from those behind him at present.

I appreciate the midfield was makeshift as Covid probably disrupted the planned starting line up but yet again as we've found in 7 of the last 10 seasons our midfield is lacking and will be the key to our downfall unless addressed as a matter of urgency. Lamie started to make less errors as the season progressed and Dec was unavailable but he was back today with a vengeance.

Outfought, outplayed and outworked, did not think I'd see that in our first game back under GA and what he achieved from Jan till May and his pedigree as a player.

Edited by Kapowzer

26 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

A few weeks ago we mentioned Turnbull, Campbell and Gorrin (Lambert, Davies and Dolan for older yins) being one of our best midfield threes.

I didn’t see any of it but Maguire, Crawford and Cornelius must be up there with the weakest on paper. I could accept one of those three with 2 new additions.

When the tactic is not to press higher or go beyond your forward line, no matter the personnel you’ll struggle. 

Up against a 5 tonight, they’ll be dizzy from doing dog runs all night. 

Not sure I've ever seen hutspah written down, weird. 

The game was rubbish from what I saw while I was sneaking glances during my meetings. Some of that is down to the wee team raising their game, and some is down to us not being quite up to speed yet. I doubt that's anything close to what our starting XI will be in a month, so not too worried. 

Maguire's work for the goal was nice, and so was the finish if lawless meant it. 

I saw woolery sprint then go down like he snapped himself, is he ok?

On paper your downgrade from Donnelly to Crawford was one of the biggest I could find last season, although its influenced by Donnellys attacking figures.

Well.thumb.png.dda605805827b66a9b48588b83c98a0e.png

Donnelly is orange, Crawford is red, sorry if thats not clear, I'm still working on the comparison ones 😅

Both are on the same scales, it just automatically sorts the shortest bar to the top. So the closer to the edge the colour, the better that player is at that "metric".

Edited by RandomGuy.

Better second half. But that would not be difficult. 

Only pass marks for me were Kelly and the young CB O’Connor. He showed up well and did not look out of place. Actually thought Lawless was decent after a shaky start. 

The midfield was as expected with that line up. Decidedly average. 

We have a few missing due to Covid and injuries and a few still to sign. Thank god as despite the result that was a difficult watch. 

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

On paper your downgrade from Donnelly to Crawford was one of the biggest I could find last season, although its influenced by Donnellys attacking figures.

Well.thumb.png.dda605805827b66a9b48588b83c98a0e.png

Donnelly is orange, Crawford is red, sorry if thats not clear, I'm still working on the comparison ones 😅

Both are on the same scales, it just automatically sorts the shortest bar to the top. So the closer to the edge the colour, the better that player is at that "metric".

Not surprising to see Donnelly losing out on the Clean Tackles stats.

Not interested in silent letters, I live in America.

Our goal was pretty nice. It's a shame Maguire's shot was saved in the lead up, as that burst and interception followed by the shot had that "f**k this" air about it, whereas the eventual finish was more of an "excuse me". I don't want us to be polite.

I only caught bits of the game on my phone, how did Cornelius play?

Guest superward
4 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Not interested in silent letters, I live in America.

Our goal was pretty nice. It's a shame Maguire's shot was saved in the lead up, as that burst and interception followed by the shot had that "f**k this" air about it, whereas the eventual finish was more of an "excuse me". I don't want us to be polite.

I only caught bits of the game on my phone, how did Cornelius play?

Didn't impose himself on the game really at all. But same could be said for all of the midfield 3 bar a few moves where they did venture forward to try and link up the play.

47 minutes ago, superward said:

Didn't impose himself on the game really at all. But same could be said for all of the midfield 3 bar a few moves where they did venture forward to try and link up the play.

As I referred to earlier in the thread - the tactic not to press higher and box to box stifles.

Those who followed reserve matches pre-pandemic will back up the attributes he has.

Guest superward
29 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

As I referred to earlier in the thread - the tactic not to press higher and box to box stifles.

Those who followed reserve matches pre-pandemic will back up the attributes he has.

Yeah totally agree, was a clear tactic, but when they did get forward on occasion (either breaking ranks or being allowed to) you could see things begin to happen - moreso from Maguire and Cornelius I thought. 

Edited by superward